By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Belgium Console and Software Sales 2007 (GfK)

MikeB wrote:

I haven't found the direct quote regarding the 2 million statement from September yet, but I remember some article stated the PS2 was nearing 2 million sold before the 2 million announcement.

Sony announced 2 million sold on the 2nd of October.

I found one, posted the same day as the article you were linking to:

PS2 bijna 2 miljoen keer in de Benelux
http://www.ps3focus.nl/v3/nieuws/bekijk.php?id=6667

Translated, the PS2 sold almost 2 million units in the Benelux. (12-9-2007)

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

Some historical data:

Benelux:

PS1: 1,550,000 (LTD)

Link

Benelux Launch Availability:

360: 15,000
WII: 10,000
PS2: 5,000

Link

Could someone translate the following please? I think it says Nintendo supplied 100,000 Wii to Netherlands in December, but I'm not entirely sure.

"Klanten die bij Sigros een Wii hebben besteld, hebben allemaal voor de kerst een Wii. Sigros heeft 3000 stuks op voorraad. daartegenover zijn er in nederland deze maand ruim 100.000 Wii zoekende, stelt Jay (Sales Manager Benelux) tegenover Webwereld."

Link

@ BKK

Could someone translate the following please?

No the quote states Sigros (webstore) at the time had 3000 Wii's in stock (10 december 2007), according to its sales manager over 100.000 people are looking for a Wii in the Netherlands in December.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Thanks MikeB, I thought 100K seemed to high for such a small market when there was a worldwide shortage.

I'm belgian and indeed the PS3 is quite popular here... There is not as much hype about the wii as we can see in other countries but it's doing very well too ! I have many friends who love their 360 but I don't think the last MS'console is doing great here... I guess our market looks like the French one

Around the Network

The PS3 is so popular because it's a kiddy console. All little Belgian boys want one ^_^

MikeB said:

100.000 units sold within 6 months of availability. (Selling faster than the much cheaper Wii [PS3: ~600 Euro] for the same period of availability)

For all people who don't understand Dutch, the part between brackets are MikeB's own words and are actually not in the text. All it says the PS3 is the best selling console at this stage of its lifecycle. It is not clear if this only includes this generation or all generations ever released, which might actually be possible given the availability the PS3 has since day 1. 

I've come across some 2007 data for Netherlands:

Console Software:

€227m (+~33%)

Console Hardware:

~1m units (+~60%), €212 (+89%)

" Record for gamesector

The gamesector shows once again the best figures: the turnover on console games took even third, to 227 million euros. The proceeds of PC games remained the same. By passing the games together now for the first time the CD albums in turnover.

But the biggest growth was in 2007 in the sale of games hardware, partly due to the popularity of the Wii and the Play Station 3. There were sixty percent more consoles sold nearly 1 million units, representing a growth of 89 percent (212 million euros). "

Link

With around 50% more Hardware sales than Belgium, and 50% larger population it seems that the spread of the console market in the Benelux is directly proportional to population size.

Ps3 is kicking ass in France ( check the weekly others data), it's not surprising to see it do the same in Belgium..

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !