By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Belgium Console and Software Sales 2007 (GfK)

Videogirl said:
As for Switzerland, PS3 is still the leading console here (besides handhelds obviously)
So "Other Europe" seem to strongly favor Sony.

http://www.siea.ch/home_fr/news/pressreleasesoverview/siea_-_marktzahlen.Pars.0002.File.tmp/pm_siea_071119_f.pdf

Thanks for that, I haven't seen that data before. Is data available from previous quarters?I think there's an Austrian/Swiss thread somewhere on here so I may post this there.

Around the Network

Sorry, only Sony figures again, if anyone has any data for other consoles from Benelux or Belgian/Dutch (I doubt there's any Luxembourg data) please post.

I think this is from launch weekend:

PS3 Shipped to Benelux for launch:

Shipped to Belgium:

27K (50%)

Belgium sold:

80% (21,600)

So from this we can see that SCE Benelux considered Belgium to be 50% of their PS3 market at launch. Which would mean Netherlands received the vast majority of the other 50%.

Link

BKK said:
Sorry, only Sony figures again, if anyone has any data for other consoles from Benelux or Belgian/Dutch (I doubt there's any Luxembourg data) please post.

I think this is from launch weekend:

PS3 Shipped to Benelux for launch:

Shipped to Belgium:

27K (50%)

Belgium sold:

80% (21,600)

So from this we can see that SCE Benelux considered Belgium to be 50% of their PS3 market at launch. Which would mean Netherlands received the vast majority of the other 50%.

Link

The Netherlands has a population which is around 50% bigger than Belgium which seems to indicate Sony is relatively doing worse in the Netherlands. Btw, those Sony LTD numbers might just as well be shipped, considering it doesn't say those numbers are coming from gfk.

The LTDs from September are almost certainly shipped, that's why I said "Sony figures". I always treat manufacturer figures as shipped unless they explicitly state otherwise. The 80% launch sales are sold to consumer, though, as they already gave the shipped figure.

As for PS3 doing relatively worse in Netherlands than Belgium, I think that may well be the case as if you look at Dutch software charts multi platform games seem to chart several places lower on the PS3 than the 360. Even with a lower installed base PS3 versions have been out charting the 360 version in many other European countries. 360 also seems to be strongest in English speaking countries, and countries where English is widely spoken as a second language such as the Scandinavian countries. The Netherlands would seem to fit into this category more than Belgium, although that is pure speculation on my part and may be wrong.

Dutch Charts:

1 2 6 SUPER MARIO GALAXY NINTENDO WII
2 RE 9 MARIO PARTY 8 NINTENDO WII
3 7 7 CALL OF DUTY 4/MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION XBOX 360
4 4 7 ASSASSIN’S CREED UBISOFT PS3
5 5 7 CALL OF DUTY 4/MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION PC
6 3 7 ASSASSIN’S CREED UBISOFT XBOX 360
7 8 6 CALL OF DUTY 4/MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION PS3
8 1 5 MARIO & SONIC OLYMPIC GAMES SEGA WII
9 6 3 UNCHARTED/DRAKE’S FORTUNE SONY PS3
10 RE 2 NEED FOR SPEED/PROSTREET ELECTRONIC ARTS PS3

Link

LOL, I just noticed Assassin's Creed charted higher on PS3 than 360, so maybe my analysis is completely wrong.

Around the Network

@BKK 

The LTDs from September are almost certainly shipped,

The PS2 LTD figure must be sold to customers:

De twee miljoenste PS2 werd in Amsterdam overhandigd

http://games.fok.nl/news.php?newsid=20907 

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@BKK: Not necessarily. AC debuted higher on X360 (4th place vs 10th) and was higher for all Christmas. It is also true for CoD4. However NFS: ProStreet sold better on PS3.

"The PS2 LTD figure must be sold to customers:

De twee miljoenste PS2 werd in Amsterdam overhandigd"

I don't speak Dutch but the Babelfish translation doesn't seem clear that it's shipped or sold to consumer so I'll assume it's shipped for now.

"During the End or the Year-presentatie Sony already to that the PlayStation gave 2 in the short term for the two millionth times concerning the counter go in the BeNeLux and meanwhile will be that also happened. It is striking it still, because in spite of the launch of the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii the sales of its previous generation console this year saw Sony increasing at respect of previous year. Sony hope with its new labels, 100%Kids and GetTogether, the success of PS2 be able remain guarantee. PlayStation2 undoubtedly the ideal video gaming console for the complete family remains. Aantrekelijke a hardware promises PlayStation2 the still beautiful future price, the DVD functionality and the rich assortment to qualitative games. Thus Ronny angle man, marketing director Sony computer entertainment BeNeLux. [ increase ] The two millionths PS2 were handed over in Amsterdam"

"@BKK: Not necessarily. AC debuted higher on X360 (4th place vs 10th) and was higher for all Christmas. It is also true for CoD4. However NFS: ProStreet sold better on PS3."

Yes, you're right, but PS3 software seems fairly competitive with 360 software so I think PS3 must be nearly catching up now. It's hard to know without any solid figures, though.

De twee miljoenste PS2 werd in Amsterdam overhandigd

Ah, I see now, that basically says "The two millionth PS3 was overhanded in Amsterdam"

And I see the article is from one month after the Data from above, so maybe they shipped it by September, and sold it in October? I guess they calculated an arbitrary time when the 2 millionth PS2 would be sold and whoever bought the next one after that was considered to be the 2 Millionth purchase.

@ BKK

I haven't found the direct quote regarding the 2 million statement from September yet, but I remember some article stated the PS2 was nearing 2 million sold before the 2 million announcement.

Sony announced 2 million sold on the 2nd of October.

In any case the PS3 performs very well for the Benelux:

"Uit de statistieken blijkt dat er inmiddels 100.000 Playstation 3 game consoles verkocht zijn in de Benelux. Deze indrukwekkende cijfers zijn gebaseerd op de verkochte aantallen van een next generation game console over de eerste zes maanden na lancering. Hiermee is de Sony Playstation 3 de best verkopende game console in deze periode van de levens cyclus."

http://www.letsgomobile.org/nl/2390/beste-game-console/

100.000 units sold within 6 months of availability. (Selling faster than the much cheaper Wii [PS3: ~600 Euro] for the same period of availability)

The 40GB model (~400 Euro) and christmas I think almost certainly more than doubled this figure.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales