By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN - Soul Calibur V Review

Tagged games:

They took out Talim? Ok this game can go to hell. She was my first and only videogame crush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

This is actually the BEST soul calibur game to date.

While I'm pissed by the lack of character endings, having 3 mimics in the game and as usual, a practice mode that isnt done as well as Virtua Fighter 5's, this game's gameplay has never been better. Just Guard system, critical edge, brave edge are fantastic additions to the game, and make it more offense oriented.

Well if you're buying this game just to button mash and play the story mode, then yes, this game deserves the 7.5/10 that both IGN and Gamespot scored. But if you're going in depth, this is easily a 9/10.

CGI-Quality said:
While the single player lacks a bit, the graphics, smooth 60fps gameplay, and online rock house! Best SOULCALIBUR title to date in my view. I do miss the Star Wars characters, however.

best SC to date!?

this is what SC used to be about:

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

I don't get why they removed characters? Was it really so hard to add Zasamel, Yun Sung/Hwang, Talim and Seung Mina in any form either like a new character with their style (like they already did with other character) or as a returning character?
This game looks better on high level though, Soul Calibur has pretty much always been a casual game until now.

Edit. Forgot about Rock.

Train wreck said:

Major mistakes off the bat:
1. getting rid of some decent characters such as Zasalamel and Setsuka
2. constantly changing the fighting game formula

Team Soul has been slipping for the past decade, they need to get it together. Tekken Tag tournament 2, from all the gameplay vids is miles ahead and with a crowded fighting game scene, they cant stay on this course or they will become irrelevant.

These were the exact two issues I thought of when I was playing earlier. *Poors out some liquor for the homie Zas*

Still a fun game though, and it's still an improvement over four. Glad they got rid of the stupid exploding clothes gimmick.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network

How's the "Loading..."?

adriane23 said:
Train wreck said:

Team Soul has been slipping for the past decade, they need to get it together. Tekken Tag tournament 2, from all the gameplay vids is miles ahead and with a crowded fighting game scene, they cant stay on this course or they will become irrelevant.

These were the exact two issues I thought of when I was playing earlier. *Poors out some liquor for the homie Zas*

Still a fun game though, and it's still an improvement over four. Glad they got rid of the stupid exploding clothes gimmick.

I got the game last night and I am enjoying it throughly, its just that I hate fighting games that take characters ive pretty much mastered (in this case Ivy, Raphael, Lizardman and Taki) and either take them away or just switch them up.  I felt even after two SC i couldnt get ivy up what I was playing her as for SC2, Raphael has remain constant and Zasalamel was my new main.  Just as someone point out earlier, they are making this game more technical, which is cool, I just hate relearning lol.  Im going to go to evo2k12 with this and KOF III so im going to be practicing for a while.

Train wreck said:
adriane23 said:
Train wreck said:

I got the game last night and I am enjoying it throughly, its just that I hate fighting games that take characters ive pretty much mastered (in this case Ivy, Raphael, Lizardman and Taki) and either take them away or just switch them up.  I felt even after two SC i couldnt get ivy up what I was playing her as for SC2, Raphael has remain constant and Zasalamel was my new main.  Just as someone point out earlier, they are making this game more technical, which is cool, I just hate relearning lol.  Im going to go to evo2k12 with this and KOF III so im going to be practicing for a while.

Yeah the game still improves in a lot of areas, so it's still a great game imo, but hopefully they consider the "If It Ain't Broke" philosophy in the next installment. And I'm still holding out hope for DLC characters (I really miss Zasalamel). Also, I found out clothes still explode -___-

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Train wreck said:

Setzukas style is in the game, just not the character. Zasalamel, Sueng Mina, Rock, Yun-Sung and Talim is gone though.

This series used to be so great. Remember Soul Calibur II? Now SC is just stagnating horribly. Somebody pump some life into this franchise.