By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why doesnt Sony charge for PSN membership?

Should Sony charge for PSN membership?

Yes, it makes sense. 108 24.16%

NO! 297 66.44%

I couldn't care less, man-bear-pig! 42 9.40%

Total:447
J_Allard said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I think you're referring to voice messaging, not cross-chat aka party chat. Anyway, I admitted that I was not happy plenty of times when Sony first changed their policy. At some point I could understand that they needed the money. I am not twisting one thing.  As I said to Seece and some others, you just don't like the way I say it.  You've proven nothing about me "twisting" anything. I could change my ways so that you could accept it, but any criticism would make you turn your head. Some people cannot accept things which question the brand they are emotionally attached to.

Voice messages do require Gold. But you can voice chat with people at no charge. Whether or not you're happy with Sony's decision is irrelevant. Nor do I care what brands you love or are emotionally attached to. You make silly comments so I respond and laugh, it's just that simple. It's funny to me that you bash MS for so long for charging for online play and now that Sony does it, you reach deep to find ways to make it seem ok or even downright honorable. Sounds like something an emotionally invested person would do.

http://www.prepaidgamecards.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/xbox-live-gold-membership-benefits1.jpg

Voice messaging and text chat are free. This is pointless if you're going to discount that I didnt have a positive response to what Sony did. I will just leave you to believe what you will.

Around the Network

If I load up State of Decay on my 360 I can start a voice chat with someone playing Black Ops II and chat in real time whether I have Gold or not. That is what I am referring to. And I don't care about your response to Sony, I was laughing at the hilarious corporate apologizing you're doing now. Hope that helps, all I will say on the matter.

irstupid said:
How is this an argument.

Facts are simple

You need to have PS+ or Xbox Live to play online.

Both cost money.

Doesn't matter what bonuses or discounts you get with either, fact is you are now FORCED to pay a monthly fee in order to play online.

You're not forced to do anything. If you don't like it then don't buy the console. Just like a lot of consumers chose not to buy the 360 right. 

For those who choose to buy it the "bonuses" actually make it something worth paying for.

J_Allard said:
Oh cool another PS+ vs XBL argument.

XBL trumps the hell out of PS+ as an online gaming service.
PS+ trumps the hell out of XBL as a membership discount/game rental service.

PS+ trumps the hell out of XBL overall as a service.

The thing is, you're acknowledging here how different the two services actually are and that's why it's so foolish to call anyone out on having a problem with XBL but being fine with PS+.

Anyone trying to make that argument is going to lose because they're just straight up wrong. 

Metroid33slayer said:

Are you working for Sony in PR?

No. 

Enjoy this lovely video. 

Around the Network
room414 said:
J_Allard said:
Oh cool another PS+ vs XBL argument.

XBL trumps the hell out of PS+ as an online gaming service.
PS+ trumps the hell out of XBL as a membership discount/game rental service.

The thing is, you're acknowledging here how different the two services actually are and that's why it's so foolish to call anyone out on having a problem with XBL but being fine with PS+.

Anyone trying to make that argument is going to lose because they're just straight up wrong. 

Yeah except that PS+ as we know it right now is exactly what I said it is. A discount service that also allows you to rent games. It's like Sam's Club in Playstation form. PS+ as it is to become, however, encompasses all of the Playstation Network and will include pay to play online. So no, it's not foolish to call people out for XBL hating and not PS+ hating, especially when 99.999% of their beef with XBL was paying to play online. I do hope that helps, toodles.

J_Allard said:
room414 said:

Yeah except that PS+ as we know it right now is exactly what I said it is. A discount service that also allows you to rent games. It's like Sam's Club in Playstation form. PS+ as it is to become, however, encompasses all of the Playstation Network and will include pay to play online. So no, it's not foolish to call people out for XBL hating and not PS+ hating, especially when 99.999% of their beef with XBL was paying to play online. I do hope that helps, toodles.

99.999%? lol, you pulled that right out of your ass. Fact is, there are a lot of gamers who play little to no multiplayer at all and for them xbl is an especially bad deal. 

I've been a ps+ subscriber for over three years now because it has awesome value and with the ps4 it's only gotten better. I now get 2 ps4 games every month on top of the 3 ps3 games i already get for no additional cost. $3.33 a month. I'm not even planning to get a ps4 anytime soon but i can bank the games and when/if i do get one i'll have a library of games waiting for me. Crazy good deal. Including multiplayer in ps+ changes nothing. 

As someone who only occasionally plays multiplayer on consoles i would never pay for the xbl model. I'd essentially be paying an extra fee to watch netflix. Shitty deal. 

Explain to me how it's hypocritical to have an opposing opinion about two very different things. Try and put the bullshit console war stuff aside for a moment and use a little common sense. 

room414 said:

99.999%? lol, you pulled that right out of your ass. Fact is, there are a lot of gamers who play little to no multiplayer at all and for them xbl is an especially bad deal. 

I've been a ps+ subscriber for over three years now because it has awesome value and with the ps4 it's only gotten better. I now get 2 ps4 games every month on top of the 3 ps3 games i already get for no additional cost. $3.33 a month. I'm not even planning to get a ps4 anytime soon but i can bank the games and when/if i do get one i'll have a library of games waiting for me. Crazy good deal. Including multiplayer in ps+ changes nothing. 

As someone who only occasionally plays multiplayer on consoles i would never pay for the xbl model. I'd essentially be paying an extra fee to watch netflix. Shitty deal. 

Explain to me how it's hypocritical to have an opposing opinion about two very different things. Try and put the bullshit console war stuff aside for a moment and use a little common sense. 

Sounds like you're one of the .001%. Cool beans. And LOL @ online premium meaning nothing. No point in replying any further to that nonsense, toodles.

J_Allard said:
room414 said:

Sounds like you're one of the .001%. Cool beans. And LOL @ online premium meaning nothing. No point in replying any further to that nonsense, toodles.

Yes, of course i'm the .001%. lol  I'd be paying for ps+ regardless so whether multiplayer is outside or inside of that it makes no difference.

I told you it was an argument you couldn't win.

room414 said:

Yes, of course i'm the .001%. lol  I'd be paying for ps+ regardless so whether multiplayer is outside or inside of that it makes no difference.

I told you it was an argument you couldn't win.

It's not an argument I am making. Hope that helped.