By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Megaupload just got shut down...

wfz said:
NintendoPie said:
morenoingrato said:
Is this SOPA's doing?
Ugh. Dammit >:(

Why are people saying that? I thought SOPA hasn't been passed yet? 

SOPA has not been passed. This is just the power the US government already holds.

Which makes you wonder why they think they need more power...

They always think they need more power. 

Around the Network
VGKing said:
UltimateUnknown said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16642369

This is crazy, it was one of the biggest file sharing websites ever, and I used it a lot. Try it yourself, not even google recognizes megaupload anymore. WoW, goodbye megaupload, you will be missed.

It recognizes it with me. Searched Megaupload on Google and its the first result right there.

No I meant normally when you type a word, halfway through google search just pops up with the word below the search bar as it already has the site recognised. But that isn't the case anymore. Of course I can see the site url after I type it into google, but can't access it.

Sharing entertainment digitally is similar to letting someone borrow your entertainment physically like say your DVD.

Sephiroth357 said:
Sharing entertainment digitally is similar to letting someone borrow your entertainment physically like say your DVD.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

guys don't share p0rn...

that's the way we roll....

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Snaps. Oh well, there are dozens of other good filesharing sites, so I'm gonna put this in the "Not that big of a deal" section of my life.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network
Sephiroth357 said:

But........they're not similar at all.......

I am the Playstation Avenger.

NintendoPie said:
Player1x3 said:
Congratulations SOPA I guess

Your sig is perfect for this! XD

I once hated his sig because I literally clicked ten times on it until I realized it's just a pic. Now I love it because I imagine all the other users making the same damn mistake as me.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

Sucks. A lot of the Android devs use this to distribute their roms and such. For my personal use, I just use dropbox. But for public stuff, I'd have to use one of the many file sharing sites.

They probably shut it down as it was also a MAJOR site used to deliver black market movies. Probably a few others on the same chopping block.

wfz said:
NintendoPie said:
morenoingrato said:
Is this SOPA's doing?
Ugh. Dammit >:(

Why are people saying that? I thought SOPA hasn't been passed yet? 

SOPA has not been passed. This is just the power the US government already holds.

Which makes you wonder why they think they need more power...

Well, Megaupload has been around for years and has probably cost copyright holders a lot of money over time. SOPA and/or PIPA would make sites close down much more quickly.

Not that I support SOPA or PIPA, as I believe  that such matters should go to court first, as a civil matter, and the burden of proof should be on the accuser, not the defender... which these laws change completely. But this case is evidence why bills like SOPA/PIPA were ever conceived, because dealing with sites like Megaupload took too long.

superchunk said:
Sucks. A lot of the Android devs use this to distribute their roms and such. For my personal use, I just use dropbox. But for public stuff, I'd have to use one of the many file sharing sites.

They probably shut it down as it was also a MAJOR site used to deliver black market movies. Probably a few others on the same chopping block.

There needs to be a way which allows for people who have legitimate reason to share files, to be able to do so in a public place. The problem lies in the fact that these services are too often abused by those wanting to flaunt copyright laws. Google are doing quite a good job with Youtube, but they've been able to develop algorithms which can pick up content which is copyright. There needs to be a way to do this with file downloads... but it is probably impossible due to how easy it is to hide the contents of a file.