By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Official Anime Discussion Thread

zarx said:
Michael-5 said:

I've seen Steins Gate, it was entertaining, but a lot of the consequences, and remedies to fix them didn't make sense.

Is Love a comedy genre Anime? lol. I'll look into those

K, good recommendations, I haven't seen most of those. Been recommended Gurran Lagann, and Trigun before. I've seen Hellsing, it's a bit stupid for me.

Surprised you didn't recommend Cowboy Bebop, that's one of the best Anime's.

Sure Steins;Gate is a bit silly but I kinda like that.

I would say Love is more comedy than anything else, with some romance and drama elements but that goes for most of that kind of anime. I guess I would also throw Kill la Kill under comedy as well.

Which Hellsing did you watch the Series or Ultimate? I am not sure what you mean by, stupid tho. It can be silly at times and both definatly go a bit crazy (especially Ultimate) but I wouldn't say "stupid", what exactly did you find stupid about it? Just curious as it kinda effects what people might reccomend. Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill and JoJo might not be for you if you don't like to throw logic out the window and enjoy a crazy over the top ride from time to time. And Jormungand is a bit sillier than Black Lagoon (wich is kinda over the top and silly on it's own).

Maybe Berserk and Monster (I actualy forgot to reccomend that first time round) might be more for you.

I just assume everyone even a little interested in anime has seen Bebop. What I really forgot Ghost in the Shell watch that if you havent.

I have been meaning to watch Monster, I think I've seen the first episode, but the version I have is low quality, and the plot is kinda slow at the start. I might give this another try, but I find it hard to view SD movies nowadays.

I might watch Kill la Kill, it looks stupid funny, but I'm not sure if I'll like it. Never been a fan of the overly-sex-implicit anime's. I love sex humor, but I'm not a fan of anime boobies and panties everywhere. Sometimes it can be funny like in High School of the Dead, but....that's just retarded funny.

Hellsing isn't stupid, but it's not for me. Crazy is a good word to describe it, it's just a bit over the top for me. I never liked Anime where the protagonist is some super-powerful dude who can't be killed. I don't remember the one I watched, I just remember not liking it. That and I think this anime called "Gunn." I didn't like either of them.

I've seen Ghost in the Shell, that was a good one. I wasn't big on Anime until maybe 2 years ago. Before that I just watched DBZ, but then I thought about getting more into it, so I watched Full Metal Alchemist, and since then I've been getting more and more into Anime. I mean just last week I lost my English Sub Verginity, which I think opens a lot of doors.

I'll write these all down, and give them a shot. Do you know any other big name anime's? Like FullMetal Alchemist was great, so was Attack on Titan, Code Geass, Death Note, etc. I feel these anime's have a bigger fanbase then most, do you know of any other main stream anime's like these? I kinda want to knock out all the mains ones first.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
zarx said:

Speaking of Black Lagoon, Roberta's Blood trail is kinda great. If you are a fan od Black Lagoon and haven't seen it shame on you guys.

No scope, One handed, Blind fire sniper rifle...

I loved Black Lagoon, and avoided this because of no English Dub.

Now, I have something on the top of my list. Thanks!

---

Also I forgot about Samurai Champloo, great anime too.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

The dub of Black Lagoon was great.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Michael-5 said:
DemoniOtaku said:
Michael-5 said:

I don't mind that, after all the anime got me into the manga, but Claymore and Attack on Titan felt unfinished. AoT is likely to get a season 2, which if it follows the managa like S1 did, should explain a lot, but still. Claymore left me wondering so much, I had to wikipedia sumarries of the manga, and now I've decided just to read the manga.

Actually last 6 episodes og Claymore are almost all fillers and last two are existing on the Manga... you should read the manga from the chapter when end the figth with Riful (the Loli tentacles abyssal) and are sent to the north, from there are a some changes on the scenes and some omissions from there You will not stop reading... I will, thanks

There aren't too much dark fantasy manga/anime lately.. You sohould watch beserk movies, I'm sure You will like it and actually Claymore is pretty inspired by it.. the corean manga I recomend You before, shin Angyou Onshi, have a movie that cover barely the first two volume and have a total of 17.

If You liked Code geass, You should watch One outs and Death Note, both on the term of psicological, in the term of Mech-action anime, gundam 00 (don't need any knowledge about gundam before hand) or Gundam Seed and the one that's airing rigth now: kakumei no Valvrave.

Kinda in the dark side: Kamisama Dolls, the bad thing is that's too short and unfinished :/. Umineko no naku koro ni is another great option.. and Stein's Gate is a MUST WATCH, just be wary that most of the serie is pure dialogs, If you want more action instead of dialog based story, avoid this mean while..

On the comedy type: Seto no hanayome, school Rumble, Sora no Otoshimono, Lucky star, Nichijou.. and even Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei, dark humour.

Other must watch: Usagi Drops and Katanagatari. If You want a long running shounen, watch one Piece, Hunter x Hunter or Gintama. Bleach and Naruto are good if You omit the fillers...

The series that zarx recomend You are awesome too... ;)

I loved the first and last episode of Berserk, but the stuff in between I didn't care for much. Was a good Anime though.

For mech - I loved Gundam Wing, and I watch 00 after. It felt like laregly the same show, with slightly different characters. So I don't really care about Gundam now that much. I'll look into kakumei no Valvrave though.

For all those comedy recommendations. Are they all high school comedy? I'm not a fan of high school comedy anime, the context is just too young for me. I'm 24. However I did love High School of the Dead, and like I said, I'm enjoying "The Melancholy of ....someone."

LOL wow, you recommended a lot, I'll add them to a list of anime to watch. Gintama was one I've been avoiding because it's only available with English Subs, but now I might give it a chance. I'm not a fan of long running Anime, unless it's good. I've watched all of DB/DBZ/DBGT, but I wouldn't be able to watch Samurai X or One Piece. Lately I've been more a fan of Anime's which vary from 25-60 episodes. I feel Most anime's get their points across within that time well.

Samurai X doesn't have that much episodes.. arroun 90 and half are fillers afte the end of Kyoto arc... The OVAS are a MUST WATCH either You have watched the original or not.. and there are two movies that resume the Kyoto Arc with better animation and design, and even some different scenes.

And All the comedy i recomend You are Highschool based, If You want some with adult characters: Skip beat! is the best, this have some shoujo design and base story but fun a LOT OF FUN.. Kyouko is too much FUN. Another comedy based shoujo: Ouran Host Club, Perfect girl Evolution and Kimi ni Todoke (thi is more like love-comedy) and all are highschool based but still I recomend You all those, more that I think all are English dubed.

I recomend a lot because i like a lot of animes, and genres XD

DoYou Want DOZENS OF NO GAEMZ?! then... Visit the Official PlayStation Vita Tread

Michael-5 said:

I have been meaning to watch Monster, I think I've seen the first episode, but the version I have is low quality, and the plot is kinda slow at the start. I might give this another try, but I find it hard to view SD movies nowadays.

I might watch Kill la Kill, it looks stupid funny, but I'm not sure if I'll like it. Never been a fan of the overly-sex-implicit anime's. I love sex humor, but I'm not a fan of anime boobies and panties everywhere. Sometimes it can be funny like in High School of the Dead, but....that's just retarded funny.

Hellsing isn't stupid, but it's not for me. Crazy is a good word to describe it, it's just a bit over the top for me. I never liked Anime where the protagonist is some super-powerful dude who can't be killed. I don't remember the one I watched, I just remember not liking it. That and I think this anime called "Gunn." I didn't like either of them.

I've seen Ghost in the Shell, that was a good one. I wasn't big on Anime until maybe 2 years ago. Before that I just watched DBZ, but then I thought about getting more into it, so I watched Full Metal Alchemist, and since then I've been getting more and more into Anime. I mean just last week I lost my English Sub Verginity, which I think opens a lot of doors.

I'll write these all down, and give them a shot. Do you know any other big name anime's? Like FullMetal Alchemist was great, so was Attack on Titan, Code Geass, Death Note, etc. I feel these anime's have a bigger fanbase then most, do you know of any other main stream anime's like these? I kinda want to knock out all the mains ones first.

If you think the start of Monster is a bit to slow it's probably not for you as the middle is even slower. I actually thought the start was compelling myself.

Kill la Kill is super funny, the fanservice stuff is over the top (it really can be cringy at times) but it's done in a pretty toung in cheeck way IMO. Their style (same people as Guren Lagann) is very much taking the tropes of a genre and turning them up to 11. In the case of Kill la Kill that includes the fanservicy elements of the magical girl genre. And it's a hell of a lot funnier and inventive than Highschool of the Dead IMO, but I'm not a big zombie guy.

No worries on Hellsing that's fair enough, I'm not judging different strokes and all that.

I only really got super into Anime in the last few years myself. I had seen the kind of stuff that poped up on local TV (DBZ, Zoids, Shaman King, Pokemon, Digimon that kind of thing) and a few things that I got passed on from freinds like Cowboy Bebop. But never really had much access to it. I have been catching up on lost time tho lol. I avoid most of the long running stuff because I don't have time for 200 episodes of one show lol, I much prefer a good well paced stand alone story arc than some dragged out repetitive stuff. Never could get into One Peice for example, just got burnt out of that after the Nami arc. Then again I did manage to watch all of Fairy Tale (which many consider a poor man's One Peice/Naruto) so maybe I am just weird.

You could try the Fate franchise, personaly I think that Fate/Stay Night isn't that great but Fate/Zero is pretty good.

Did you watch Brotherhood or the Origonal?

Oh and I know that you said you weren't into the older SD stuff but Welcome to the NHK is well worth a watch.

P.S. The Dub of Blood Trail was released a few months back

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network
zarx said:

If you think the start of Monster is a bit to slow it's probably not for you as the middle is even slower. I actually thought the start was compelling myself.

Kill la Kill is super funny, the fanservice stuff is over the top (it really can be cringy at times) but it's done in a pretty toung in cheeck way IMO. Their style (same people as Guren Lagann) is very much taking the tropes of a genre and turning them up to 11. In the case of Kill la Kill that includes the fanservicy elements of the magical girl genre. And it's a hell of a lot funnier and inventive than Highschool of the Dead IMO, but I'm not a big zombie guy.

No worries on Hellsing that's fair enough, I'm not judging different strokes and all that.

I only really got super into Anime in the last few years myself. I had seen the kind of stuff that poped up on local TV (DBZ, Zoids, Shaman King, Pokemon, Digimon that kind of thing) and a few things that I got passed on from freinds like Cowboy Bebop. But never really had much access to it. I have been catching up on lost time tho lol. I avoid most of the long running stuff because I don't have time for 200 episodes of one show lol, I much prefer a good well paced stand alone story arc than some dragged out repetitive stuff. Never could get into One Peice for example, just got burnt out of that after the Nami arc. Then again I did manage to watch all of Fairy Tale (which many consider a poor man's One Peice/Naruto) so maybe I am just weird.

You could try the Fate franchise, personaly I think that Fate/Stay Night isn't that great but Fate/Zero is pretty good.

Oh and I know that you said you weren't into the older SD stuff but Welcome to the NHK is well worth a watch.

I heard good things about Fate/Zero, but watched Fate/Stay Night because it was dubbed. Hated it, but I heard Fate/Zero is much better.

As for FullMetal, I watch both. Both are good, I think I like the original better because the Humunkuli (however you spell it) made more sense, and the overall plot made more sense. However Brotherhood was still excellent.

Never said I wasn't into the older stuff, but I may have said I was looking into the newer stuff more. I looked into all your recommendations, and I'm going watch them over the next few months. MyAnimeList is a pretty good website too, been finding a few good recommendations there.

Michael-5 said:
zarx said:

I heard good things about Fate/Zero, but watched Fate/Stay Night because it was dubbed. Hated it, but I heard Fate/Zero is much better.

As for FullMetal, I watch both. Both are good, I think I like the original better because the Humunkuli (however you spell it) made more sense, and the overall plot made more sense. However Brotherhood was still excellent.

Never said I wasn't into the older stuff, but I may have said I was looking into the newer stuff more. I looked into all your recommendations, and I'm going watch them over the next few months. MyAnimeList is a pretty good website too, been finding a few good recommendations there.

Watch fate/Stay Nigth Unlimited Bladeworks.. You'll understand and like it more... is a Movie. Aside Tsukuhime, I think that Type-Moon should remake Fate/stay Nigth too... beause the first series is a mix of the different routes of the original game. They Should animated the tree routes on tree 12-14 episode series each one and we would be happy..

I think most people would enjoy Fate/zero even I they haven¡t watched Fate/Stay Nigth... but is good for refferences. If You watch Tsukihime You should try Carnival phantasm, is a spin-off and crossover comedy from type Moon, with characters of those two series and the game melty blood that include a lot of type moon characters.. is pretty fun and don't have to know about fate/zero, but tsukihime at least is a must (sadly the anime is not that good)

If You liked lack Lagoon, I think you will like CANAAN, from Type-Moon, is a short action story. Pretty good, and had a great animation and soundtrack.

DoYou Want DOZENS OF NO GAEMZ?! then... Visit the Official PlayStation Vita Tread

DemoniOtaku said:
Michael-5 said:

Watch fate/Stay Nigth Unlimited Bladeworks.. You'll understand and like it more... is a Movie. Aside Tsukuhime, I think that Type-Moon should remake Fate/stay Nigth too... beause the first series is a mix of the different routes of the original game. They Should animated the tree routes on tree 12-14 episode series each one and we would be happy..

I think most people would enjoy Fate/zero even I they haven¡t watched Fate/Stay Nigth... but is good for refferences. If You watch Tsukihime You should try Carnival phantasm, is a spin-off and crossover comedy from type Moon, with characters of those two series and the game melty blood that include a lot of type moon characters.. is pretty fun and don't have to know about fate/zero, but tsukihime at least is a must (sadly the anime is not that good)

If You liked lack Lagoon, I think you will like CANAAN, from Type-Moon, is a short action story. Pretty good, and had a great animation and soundtrack.

Never seen Tsukihime, and I think I have enough on my TDL now lol.

DemoniOtaku said:
Michael-5 said:
zarx said:

They are currently remaking it. 

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

pezus said:
Michael-5 said:

I loved Black Lagoon, and avoided this because of no English Dub.

Now, I have something on the top of my list. Thanks!

---

Also I forgot about Samurai Champloo, great anime too.

English Dubs?!?! Boo!

Seen Bakemonogatari?

Nope.