By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Post-NPD adjustments

zhao3gold said:
What is the issue with MS shipped so many? They already earned the money from this shipment, didn't they? Is that bad for a manufacturer to ship goods as many as possible?

If you want to judge if MS overshipped, wait till April when they release FY2012 Q3 report.

Sometimes yes, because overshipping means that there is a lot of stock out there and retailers don't need to restock that frequently, which means that a lot of money has to be saved to be able to maintain the company, rather than being able to spend the income in further investements, I don't know about MS in particular but lets assume we have Company X.

Company X is shipping all its products once a year on July 13th, they get for all their products 12 mio. dollars, to mentain their business they have to spend 750,000 $ a month, the rest of the money will be invested or cashed out to the owners as profits which means that they have a balance of pretty much 0 after one year, now it turns out that their products wheren't as popular as they were predicted to be and a lot of retailers still have enough stock to go for another 6 months without restocking, so the retailers will only buy products worth 6 mio. dollars, which means that the company has to use previous investements to finance their next year. (This is a pretty simple example of a company (which has the worst market strategy I have ever seen) but you could use it for every company out there which has no direct distribution to the customer if you make the time between shipments shorter)

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Turkish said:
Argh_College said:
shanbcn said:
360 still overtracked quite badly.

yeah yeah right Lol You think that theres >2 Milion on shelves, over on U.S maybe since i dont know what adjustments were made but Way undertracked in others.

Undertracked? Where? Europe? Japan? The 2 strongest markets of the competitor? Its becoming more and more clear MS shipped too many, they overestimated the demand. This time we also didnt hear anything from that xbox dude(something with major) who always bragged about NPD numbers.

its aaron greenberg that announces 360 numbers and yes we did hear from him actually.  The NPD numbers for the 360 are very impressive when compared to the competition.... basically obliterating the competition again... they only look poor when we have all been looking at VGC numbers for the last 4 weeks.  

...and you cant ship too many.... they arent sent unsolicited to retailers you know.

Retailers MAY order too many and end up returning them if they are allowed, but it isnt channel stuffing.  Channel stuffing doesnt really exist.

And if that is the case they would have done exactly the same for Wii and PS3.

kowenicki said:
Turkish said:
Argh_College said:
shanbcn said:

yeah yeah right Lol You think that theres >2 Milion on shelves, over on U.S maybe since i dont know what adjustments were made but Way undertracked in others.

Undertracked? Where? Europe? Japan? The 2 strongest markets of the competitor? Its becoming more and more clear MS shipped too many, they overestimated the demand. This time we also didnt hear anything from that xbox dude(something with major) who always bragged about NPD numbers.

its aaron greenberg that announces 360 numbers and yes we did hear from him actually.  The NPD numbers for the 360 are very impressive when compared to the competition.... basically obliterating the competition again... they only look poor when we have all been looking at VGC numbers for the last 4 weeks.  

...and you cant ship too many.... they arent sent unsolicited to retailers you know.

Retailers MAY order too many and end up returning them if they are allowed, but it isnt channel stuffing.  Channel stuffing doesnt really exist.

And yet Sony has been accussed of Channel stuffing with the PS3 by every X360 fanboy every Nov-Dec since always.

But yeah, I agree, channel stuffing is BS and any overshipment is due to retailers over ordering from MS. Either that or the retailers and MS have some sort of agreement wherein MS can ship as many as possible to retailers to ensure availability of stocks of the X360 during the holiday season and the retailers have the option to return excess stocks after december or something.

zhao3gold said:
I think after this NPD report, many people lost some trusts on VGC. Maybe the discussion of weekly charts will have a huge decline. I hope VGC can develop a new extrapolation modeling to improve the accuracy.

BTW, I still think MS has small chance to be the manufacuturer who sold the most consoles in the past year.

I'm confused.

VGC said PS3 had won this year by 300k. If the 360 is overtracked by 1.2m and the PS3 by 300k, doesn't that mean that the PS3 won by 1.2m? Or is there something I'm forgetting? I'm new to this.

brendude13 said:
zhao3gold said:
I think after this NPD report, many people lost some trusts on VGC. Maybe the discussion of weekly charts will have a huge decline. I hope VGC can develop a new extrapolation modeling to improve the accuracy.

BTW, I still think MS has small chance to be the manufacuturer who sold the most consoles in the past year.

I'm confused.

VGC said PS3 had won this year by 300k. If the 360 is overtracked by 1.2m and the PS3 by 300k, doesn't that mean that the PS3 won by 1.2m? Or is there something I'm forgetting? I'm new to this.

After all adjustments... 660k.

But I expect more adjustments soon... so everything can change.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
brendude13 said:
zhao3gold said:

I'm confused.

After all adjustments... 660k.

But I expect more adjustments soon... so everything can change.

So VGC isn't using the NPD, or have they adjusted other regions?

Wow, that's pretty bad. So PS3 did better comparatively then we thought, nice.

kowenicki said:
if MIkeb was here would he be saying that MS won because they shipped the most....

how times change....

I miss that time.

Seece said:
kowenicki said:
Turkish said:
Argh_College said:
shanbcn said:

And if that is the case they would have done exactly the same for Wii and PS3.

Actually after that crazy November in US for X360 maybe retailers thought X360 could do numbers Wii pulled in the past and now market is flooding in X360s? This is of course speculation. It' just too out of place to X360 suddenly start selling so much better across the globe without even price cut. PAL charts have been pretty usual as well (Multi titles selling better on PS3). We shall see in April though with new shipment reports.

kowenicki said:
Turkish said:
Argh_College said:
shanbcn said:

Did you just say channel suffing doesn't exist? seriously someone, help me find the millions of times you have accused Sony of doing so. I don't know what's worst the vgchartz numbers before npd or MS saying they sold more than 66 million before the NPD.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)