By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft thinking about Blu-ray?

Universal should go BR exclusive soon (less than 2 weeks ?) and Paramount at the end of their exclusive deal

Then BR will begin to really push the PS3 in NA

Time to Work !

Around the Network
Rugger08 said:
God damn Sony shoving expensive Blu-Ray down America's throat. Nobody wants it. Gamers don't want it cause it makes the system too expensive. Regular consumers don't want it, HD-DVD stand alone players outsell Blu-Ray stand alone players 4 to 1. This is so lame, I hate Sony.

Yeah, because DVD was cheap from day one.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

well,i guess its really offically over if microsoft is ready to adopt blu-ray

Damstr8 said:
well,i guess its really offically over if microsoft is ready to adopt blu-ray

People need to read the entire post.  The MS spokesman said it was a setback for HD-DVD, but he didn't feel the contest was over.

MS has said more than once that they would consider adopting whichever format won, and this MS rep said they would let the consumers decide which format would win.

I didn't see anywhere in his statement where he said, "yeah, it's over, so we're going to go Blu-ray."  Just the opposite.

Personally, I think it's all but over.  Then again, I'll wait to see what happens over the next few weeks before declaring a winner. 

Soriku said:
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

Microsoft AM FAIL.

Come on, do you really think Microsoft has ever cared much about HD-DVD? They stood to win very little (if anything) from it. They probably supported HD-DVD in order to hurt Sony a bit with their PS3 Blu-Ray ideas, but now that that's over why wouldn't they make a Blu-Ray addon for their console?

It's not like they're changing the outcome of the war by doing it, they're just giving 360 gamers a choice of having a HD disc player (the same way that they did before, just with another format).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Xbox 720 will (probably) have a Blu-ray drive for games. They will do what ever the winning format is. By that time cost differences between BD components and DVD components probably will be small, much like between CD and DVD right now.

The only way they will stay with DVD drives is if they have a 1 TB drive with games shipping on at least 4 discs.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Rugger08 said:
God damn Sony shoving expensive Blu-Ray down America's throat. Nobody wants it. Gamers don't want it cause it makes the system too expensive. Regular consumers don't want it, HD-DVD stand alone players outsell Blu-Ray stand alone players 4 to 1. This is so lame, I hate Sony.

Where did you get your data?

Stand alone BR stand alone players outsold HD DVD stand alone players every week since Black Friday.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

NJ5 said:
Soriku said:
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

Microsoft AM FAIL.

Come on, do you really think Microsoft has ever cared much about HD-DVD? They stood to win very little (if anything) from it. They probably supported HD-DVD in order to hurt Sony a bit with their PS3 Blu-Ray ideas, but now that that's over why wouldn't they make a Blu-Ray addon for their console?

It's not like they're changing the outcome of the war by doing it, they're just giving 360 gamers a choice of having a HD disc player (the same way that they did before, just with another format).

Microsoft has always been interested in downloads, which is where they could make a killing. By supporting HDDVD and dragging on the format war they could weaken the next gen formats adoption rate and overall market presence, thus giving them a better chance to sneak downloads in.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Rugger08 said:

HAHA looks like somebody has a bad case of buyers remorse after purchasing that HD DVD player!

1. I wanted it, and i bought it. So that disproves that nobody wanted it.

2. In Canada the 40gb PS3 is the same price as the Premium 360, its not too expensive. Or if it is, then so is a 360.

3. Theres no point talking standalone players, since theres just under 9 million PS3's out there with Blu Ray players. Out of all types of players Blu Ray would outsell HD DVD in the US

4. Why don't you think of a more original name than HD DVD? all you did was add HD to the current format. Thats like calling a DVD player a HD VHS.

5. I don't hate Sony, I also don't hate Microsoft. I maybe kind of hate Nintendo though.

coolestguyever said:

5. I don't hate Sony, I also don't hate Microsoft. I maybe kind of hate Nintendo though.

Ok, just curious.

The company that has always made the least appealing games for me, is Nintendo. But, I have never had a reason to dislike the company.

Sony and MS have done a ton of things to get pissed over (this Blu-ray thing is not one of them).

Why do you kind of hate Nintendo?