By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft thinking about Blu-ray?

rocketpig said:
Kyros said:
Wow microsoft doesn't really wait putting the last koffin nail into hd DVD until its dead. I would never make a partnership with them.

A Microsoft exec said months ago (when the war was far from over) that a Blu-ray add-on was a definite possibility in the future.

They have no financial stake in either format; I don't understand why so many people around here think they should take one side or the other. They have no motivation to do so other than to be a thorn in Sony's side.

While it's hardly going to impact their revenues, MS actually have a financial stake in both formats. They earn money from the VC-1 codec used in both BD & HD-DVD, and they also own HDi, the interactivity layer of HD-DVD. All parties tried to agree on a unified format (to avoid a repeat of VHS vs. Betamax) but it was Microsoft's insistence (and Sony's refusal) that HDi be used instead of Java that forced the format war in the first place.

Toshiba must be pissed that MS support was not everything they had hoped it would be when they agreed to adopt HDi (which, incidentally, is much more limited than Java). 

Around the Network

No financial stake for Microsoft?

If Blu-ray lost, the value and sellability of the PS3 goes down massively, and potential PS3 buyers would pick up the 360 instead.

If you walsted into a shop, and saw two relatively similar consoles, except one had a VHS player strapped to it that you had to pay a premium for, which one would you buy?

Played_Out said:
rocketpig said:
Kyros said:
Wow microsoft doesn't really wait putting the last koffin nail into hd DVD until its dead. I would never make a partnership with them.

A Microsoft exec said months ago (when the war was far from over) that a Blu-ray add-on was a definite possibility in the future.

They have no financial stake in either format; I don't understand why so many people around here think they should take one side or the other. They have no motivation to do so other than to be a thorn in Sony's side.

While it's hardly going to impact their revenues, MS actually have a financial stake in both formats. They earn money from the VC-1 codec used in both BD & HD-DVD, and they also own HDi, the interactivity layer of HD-DVD. All parties tried to agree on a unified format (to avoid a repeat of VHS vs. Betamax) but it was Microsoft's insistence (and Sony's refusal) that HDi be used instead of Java that forced the format war in the first place.

Toshiba must be pissed that MS support was not everything they had hoped it would be when they agreed to adopt HDi (which, incidentally, is much more limited than Java). 

Good point, forgot about HDi. Either way, their financial stake is limited in both platforms. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

SamuelRSmith said:
No financial stake for Microsoft?

If Blu-ray lost, the value and sellability of the PS3 goes down massively, and potential PS3 buyers would pick up the 360 instead.

If you walsted into a shop, and saw two relatively similar consoles, except one had a VHS player strapped to it that you had to pay a premium for, which one would you buy?

Of course they wanted Sony to fail. But that's not enough of a reason to get them to risk an entire division's profitability over a format war where they stand to make little or no money from it in the long run.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

They won't make a Blu-ray player. It will cost somewhere around 200, and if you told someone:

Would you like a BD player for your 360, or a $200 dicount on a PS3, most people will take the PS3.

All it will do is prove how much more economical the competition is, and they don't need that right now.

Around the Network

did you read the news
about Paramount en 20 other companies probably going blue ray exclusive in the near future

''Hadouken!''

Rugger08 said:
God damn Sony shoving expensive Blu-Ray down America's throat. Nobody wants it. Gamers don't want it cause it makes the system too expensive. Regular consumers don't want it, HD-DVD stand alone players outsell Blu-Ray stand alone players 4 to 1. This is so lame, I hate Sony.

Dude, it's called business.

I mean, gosh, MS has never pushed products (Explorer, Windows Media Player,etc) using other products as a Trojan Horse (Windows) now has it?  It's not trying to push digital downloads and larger disk drives is it?  I mean American companies wouldn't compete like this would they?

Besides, whichever way you cut it BR disks outsold HD DVD and that's the main driver for the studios.  Also like it or not the PS3 belongs to Sony and they can do with it with they want - you get to chose whether to buy one or not.

Also, maybe Japan and Europe preferred BR too - since the ration of BR to HD DVD sales is even higher there.  Don't they count?

Rugger08 said:
God damn Sony shoving expensive Blu-Ray down America's throat. Nobody wants it. Gamers don't want it cause it makes the system too expensive. Regular consumers don't want it, HD-DVD stand alone players outsell Blu-Ray stand alone players 4 to 1. This is so lame, I hate Sony.

If nobody wanted it like you said then why is it selling more than the rival HD-DVD... Someone needs to stop acting like a baby throwing his dummy i think...

MrMafoo said:
They won't make a Blu-ray player. It will cost somewhere around 200, and if you told someone:

Would you like a BD player for your 360, or a $200 dicount on a PS3, most people will take the PS3.

All it will do is prove how much more economical the competition is, and they don't need that right now.

I doubt it would cost that much.  The HD-DVD player only costs $179 and that's with free movies attached.

I'm waiting for a nice, standalone, $150 Blu-ray player that doesn't require me to boot up an entire game system just to play a movie. 

Rugger08 said:

Bull $hit, and lies I posted an article that blu-ray stand alone players outsold HD DVD stand alone players, so dont talk $hit just because your a fanboy.

mM