By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Set To Have Strong Launch + 3rd party Devs Already Have Final Wii U Dev Kits!

Update: 01/21/2012

Nintendo told online gaming publication Industry Gamers at this years Consumer Electronic Show in Las Vegas that thi

rd party developers have already received final Wii U development kits. Nintendo has already stated to various press outlets that it plans to launch the Wii U sometime after this years E3 event which takes place in Los Angeles in June.

siurce

Nintendo have learnt from past mistakes (noting the 3DS launch) and plan to have a strong first-party line up for Wii U.

Nintendo 'allowed third parties to breath' with the release of 3DS and unleashed just two first party launch titles, both of which weren't particularly high profile games (though Pilot Wings doesn't get the credit it deserves!).

Nintendo realize that this wasn't the best decision and acknowledge that for a successful launch they need strong first and third party software and that's what they promise with the launch of Wii U.

Nintendo Of America's Vice President of Sales and Marketing, Scott Moffitt, believes that the success of 3DS over the holidays was due to high profile games such as Super Mario 3D Land which weren't available at launch.

"One thing that was clear with the 3DS was that the launch titles didn't have the impact of Super Mario 3D Land or Mario Kart 7, and that software was the biggest reason the 3DS did well over the holidays.

Software drives hardware; we found that out with 3DS. There was great anticipation of course for Zelda: Ocarina of Time, but a lot of consumers were waiting for two or three other Mario titles so that when they bought the hardware they had great high-quality games that they were dying to play right out of the gate."

With that in mind, Nintendo are keen to get the Wii U launch right.

"We expect to have great first party titles but also great software support in general for Wii U when it comes out later this year. I think with Wii U we want to make sure we have great software right at launch."

Source: ONM UK

source

So anyone worried about it not having good games at launch can put those worries to rest

I think its funny that they haven’t learned that lesson from previous launches though

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

lolwut?

spurgeonryan said:
You know the rumored price is horrible! But if they have enough great games, people (myself included) will find a way to pick this up! Still I hope that the disc drive and the tablet controller do not cost 500 plus dollars when it finally comes out.

I’ve told you before the price is not a rumor it’s a price set by the stores until the right price is out! I’m mad at you now >:(

spurgeonryan said:
Galaki said:
lolwut?

Thats right Galakia! The Wii U is going to be a beast and there is nothing you can do to stop it! E3 will confirm my suspicions about you.... -_-

D=

You mean....Galaki is a Nintendo-hating fanboy?!

Say it ain't so Galaki! Say it ain't so!!

Edit: Spurg there are no rumours on Wii's price. None.

Might actually buy at launch if true n.n

Around the Network
Play4Fun said:
spurgeonryan said:
Galaki said:
lolwut?

Thats right Galakia! The Wii U is going to be a beast and there is nothing you can do to stop it! E3 will confirm my suspicions about you.... -_-

D=

Reggie was quoted somewhere that it will be closer to $600 then to $250 which if taken very literally means $426.

OT - nintendo burned me bad this gen.  if i buy a wii U it won't be until they can prove they are committed to bring games to the system past the 1.5 year mark.

spurgeonryan said:
Play4Fun said:
spurgeonryan said:
Galaki said:
lolwut?

D=

Wait. Are you saying those prices are set in stone? Or you have not seen the countless articles, threads, stories, interviews, websites, etc. talking about how the price is supposed to be in the 500-600 dollar price range?

Seriously, did I miss an announcement?

read my post

spurgeonryan said:
Play4Fun said:
spurgeonryan said:
Galaki said:
lolwut?

D=

Wait. Are you saying those prices are set in stone? Or you have not seen the countless articles, threads, stories, interviews, websites, etc. talking about how the price is supposed to be in the 500-600 dollar price range?

Seriously, did I miss an announcement?

Can you give me links?

Because all we've had are stores with placeholder prices which happens with all systems and seeing that Reggie said they don't want to make the pricing mistake they made 3DS it is absurd for you to pull a $500 - $600 price range from nothing.

This seems kinda obvious from any companies point of view. Just like I expect Sony and MS to focus on a smaller tech jump than last gen in order to keep costs down.

RE: prices... what rumors have any of your read? sources? I haven't seen anything.

kitler53 said:
Play4Fun said:
spurgeonryan said:
Galaki said:
lolwut?

D=

Reggie was quoted somewhere that it will be closer to $600 then to $250 which if taken very literally means 426.

OT - nintendo burned me bad this gen.  if i buy a wii U it won't be until they can prove they are committed to bring games to the system past the 1.5 year mark.

it could also mean $301

No one needs to buy anything until they see what they want of course but they are saying it won’t be like 3DS which is nice to hear