By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD Dec: X360 #1, 1.7m, 900k - 1m Wii, PS3

crissindahouse said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Pacher was actually closer overall on the estimates than vgc and almost got the gap between 360 and ps3 spot on. When a guy who gets slated for constantly getting guesses wrong makes better estimates than you then theres something wrong.

sry but this guy still failed a lot i mean for example he said ps3 1.7m and it is like 900k. this guy got rich doing these analysis so for me this guy failing is much worse and i have no clue why he has something to say in the industry...

I agree

Around the Network
Troll_Whisperer said:
toadslayer72 said:
I'm just wondering if Brett has commented any where on the forums about all of this. I haven't been back too much since this all broke and I know there are like 10 different threads that somehow tie into the topic.

No, but I opened a thread were I explained VGC needed bigger and more representative samples and it got closed with no explanation... so I don't think they are very comfortable with this situation.

Well that's still improvement. Questioning accuracy of tracking used to be bannable offense two years ago ;)

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Carl2291 said:
The Old Republic sold "over 600k" in Dec.

We have it at over 950k for the 2 Weeks. We have it opening at more than 800k. We had preorders for the game at over 950k units...

Another huge blip in the data.

Also... Not sure if posted yet -

1. Just Dance 3: ~3.5 million
2. Just Dance 2
3. Zumba Fitness
4. Michael Jackson The Experience
5. Mario Kart Wii
6. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
7. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword: ~1.2 million
8. Donkey Kong Country Returns
9. Skylanders Spyro's Adventure
10. LEGO Star Wars III: The Saga Continues to Build

Do you have any individual game sales for the other platforms?

Slimebeast said:
Carl2291 said:
The Old Republic sold "over 600k" in Dec.

We have it at over 950k for the 2 Weeks. We have it opening at more than 800k. We had preorders for the game at over 950k units...

Another huge blip in the data.

Also... Not sure if posted yet -

1. Just Dance 3: ~3.5 million
2. Just Dance 2
3. Zumba Fitness
4. Michael Jackson The Experience
5. Mario Kart Wii
6. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
7. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword: ~1.2 million
8. Donkey Kong Country Returns
9. Skylanders Spyro's Adventure
10. LEGO Star Wars III: The Saga Continues to Build

Do you have any individual game sales for the other platforms?

Even the above numbers are iffy, at least the Zelda number. If anything, Zelda is almost definitely > 1.2 million (as in very possibly 1.3, 1.4 or even more), not ~1.2 : November NPD for Zelda was 600k+, and for December Zelda is the only game not in the top 10 multiformats that would have charted in the top 10 for individual formats (according to NPD), while SWOTR (which wouldn't have charted in the top 10, is only on PC, and was no. 14 though they didn't say by which chart) was 625k.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

SWORDF1SH said:

Pacher was actually closer overall on the estimates than vgc and almost got the gap between 360 and ps3 spot on. When a guy who gets slated for constantly getting guesses wrong makes better estimates than you then theres something wrong.

Pachter gets slated for being in the media and people are jealous of him.

Around the Network
non-gravity said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Pachter gets slated for being in the media and people are jealous of him.

For making a lot of outrageous and often far fetched comments anyway. 

While the man's still an industry analyst, anything from him seems like it should be half taken as being entertainment rather than factual/accurate news.

If he's getting paid to be entertaining, then I'm not sure what the problem is, but if he's being paid for accurate market analysis, then  sure; there are probably others out there who should be getting paid for doing his job who could do a better job. A lot of people are naturally going to be upset that person isn't them. 

Shinobi-san said:
brendude13 said:
Sorry to be a nuisance, but can anybody put this in layman's terms for me? I've read people's comments and this seems like a pretty big deal, but I just can't make sense of the numbers.

The numbers we initially had these consoles for december sales in the US:

360 -2.9mil

ps3 -1.2mil

Wii - 1.6mil

NPD numbers were:

360 - 1.7mil

ps3 - ~900k - 1mil

Wii - ~900k - 1mil

All three consoles were quite heavily overtracked here on the chartz. 360 was the most overtracked by ~1.2mil, wii by ~ 700k, and ps3 by ~300k.

This has now led to some major adjustments for december month(got this from kowenickis post) :

360 adjusted down 729k for December alone
PS3 adjusted down 340k for December alone
Wii adjusted down 711k for December alone

The major issue here i guess is that MS shipments for 360 were quite high, and was more inline with our previous data, in fact it was looking as if 360 was undertracked by us. But now bassed on these NPD results, we had 360 way overtracked in the US. This couls mean two things:

1. the 360 is heavily undertracked everywhere else.

2. MS stuffed the channels / retailers misjudged demand

Hope this helps clear things Brendude13

GRAET ALL IS CLEAR NOW!!!!!

Switch!!!

fedfed said:

Glad i could help

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Shinobi-san said:
fedfed said:

Glad i could help

Thanks.

Switch!!!

so Wii outsold the PS 3 this holiday? and is the 5TH straight year that Nintendo was able to sell over a million Nintendo Wii systems great job Wii has done dispite not many games in 2011 I guess the few games like zelda skyward sward wii play motion and kirby helped it along side the 2010 holiday line up