By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What Nintendo "Developed" game do you want to see with the Wii U launch?

Which franchise?

Mario 142 30.47%

Kirby 4 0.86%

Donkey Kong 34 7.30%

Racing (F-Zero or something) 57 12.23%

Wii Sports type of game 19 4.08%

Other (Metroid, Icarus, etc) 141 30.26%

Do what they did with the 3DS 8 1.72%

See resultz 61 13.09%

Total:466

Sorry Spurge haven't followed the thread. Check out my response on how I would run WiiU's first year. Actually it sounds like my idea might he shared a bit by Nintendo if SF is in the works.

I do not believe SuperMario3DLand was intended for a 2011 release. I am 90% positive it was supposed to launc alongside Vita in Europe/NA. It was Nintendo's big gun but when 3DS was spiraling downward out of control Nintendo pushed the release date up. LoZ:OoT was supposed to maintain hardware sales till StarFox and Kid Icarus could back it up right before Christmas. Nintendo had expected titles like Assasins Creed and other offerings from Activision, UbiSoft, THQ etc..etc.. to round up the years line up. Their was likely a new IP supposed to be in their as well. But when 3DS was fumbling Nintendo bumped up StarFox and Mario delaying Kid Icarus till it would face less competition.

Nintendo intended to focus 2011 entirely on WiiU developement. I have no doubt Animal Crossing, Paper Mario are both nearly completed and have been for a while.Nintendo had the 2D Mario in development from the beginning. Miyamoto mentioned a 2D Mario early on then later changed tune. My bet is this 2D Mario was intended for 2013 if it isn't still. However Nintendo is struggling financially.

Nintendo themselves said they will start turning a small profit on each 3DS sold this year. They said they need to sell a tremendous amount of hardware to bring the company out of its loss position. To do that another Mario title would be just the right game to push a shit ton of 3DS's. Nintendo has the 3DS hardware stock piled they need to liquidate especially considering a new model could be announced at E3.

Mario is not needed for WiiU's launch. Quite the contrary releasing it would do a lot of harm. It would kill off third party launch window titles. It would reduce sales for new Nintendo IP. It would also lose steam by the time nextbox ps4 launch.

The best time to launch Mario would be right before nextbox and PS4 hit the market. In a concentrated attack. Now showing it at E3 would be a very good idea but releasing within six months of launch would be disastrous. Read my If I was in charge of Nintendo response for greater detail..

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
DanneSandin said:

no,no - when did they announce that they were working on a brand new Zelda 3DS?

haha ja det tycker jag! Jag har korkat upp en whiskey ;)

All I understood was whiskey.

And that's all anyone needs to know ;) just one more day for some more!!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:
happydolphin said:
DanneSandin said:

no,no - when did they announce that they were working on a brand new Zelda 3DS?

haha ja det tycker jag! Jag har korkat upp en whiskey ;)

All I understood was whiskey.

And that's all anyone needs to know ;) just one more day for some more!!

Hahahahaha :) Very nice :D

Sorry to disagree again Spurge. But the WiiU will he launching earliest October and latest November. This is the holiday season and Nintendo does not need Mario to sell the WiiU. Donkey Kong alone with some good third party exclusives like Sonic would be more then enough to sell any stock Nintendo can muster for the holiday season. Throw in Star fox as I suggest and Pikmin3 and Nintendo will have far more demand then supply. Mario can shift millions of hardware units and would kill other launch titles.

You need to remember this is the holiday season. It is also new hardware and new hardware rarely ever sells poorly during its launch window holiday season. It takes very little effort and Nintendo needs gamers to look forward to a big title coming In 2013.

I do not think even Halo4 could hurt WiiU's release. Not many people will buy a Xbox for Halo4 this holiday season and they could easily purchase both a copy of Halo4 and a WiiU.

This isn't about over saturation. It is about timing when is the right time for a Mario game? Launch year is a very good idea but launch window would be a waste. Nintendo needs to spread out its first party software and give its new IP and third party software some breathing room. Mario is Nintendo's not so secret weapon a WMD.

Launching Mario launch day would be bringing a bomb to a knife fight. You would slaughter your opponents and your allies standing next to you (all other launch titles) while DO and Star fox is more like bringing a gun to a knife fight. While launching with only Pinning and third party software would he bringing a knife. To put it metaphorically.

-JC7

Well, the "Other" option just went above Mario's votes.

Around the Network

Endless Ocean. It would make me buy the system right away. These games are some of my favourites of all time.

Proud owner and supporter of the YAKUZA games!

In the second one, you can explore where you want, when you want. You have many locations and I have spend 80 hours finding everything I could and I still miss a few items and sea life. I have played a lot of games since then, but it still ranks up there with my other favourite games on the 360 or PS3. I have been hoping for a third one! With the new system, I think it would be an unforgettable experience.

Proud owner and supporter of the YAKUZA games!

Metroid Prime 4!

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

Splurge you gotta read my plan for WiiU launch year. I in no way am suggesting Nintendo do as they have the last three generations (DS,3DS,Wii). Nintendo should not give third parties any break. However they can release high quality high selling software while giving third parties a fighting chance.

Industry CEOs have said for years new consoles are the best to release new IP on. DO and Star fox would be alongside Pikmin3 all the established franchises needed to sustain WiiU for months. Miyamoto's new IP and the new IP from Retro (rumoured) plus any other new IP would be perfect for the beginning of 2013.

This would accomplish every goal Nintendo has. Enabling third parties to compete and release software, new IP would be less likely to slaughter third party titles. The new Nintendo IP would also drive third parties to put more effort i. Then theirs the drought Nintendo has been criticized for always having a drought in which Nintendo gives third parties free rain, no need new IP would prevent a drought while encouraging third parties. Lastly Nintendo has said for ages that they need more IP that their existing catalog is amazing but they need more.

It would be a win win for everyone involved. Mario would then be released eight months into the consoles life and give it a much needed boost prior to Ps4 and next box's release.

Plus I fear you have become Rol. A 2D Mario is the title you launch mid cycle to revive a console and make sure it succeeds. You should not release it early in the consoles life cycle. Second or third year at earliest. I think the 2D Mario title might come in 2013 on 3DS hopefully but a release this winter would be an act of desperation to ensure 3DS sales don't slow down.

I would say a 3D/2D mixture like SuperMario3DLand would be perfect. In fact Nintendo could make the 2D 3DS Mario comparable with the 3D WiiU game. Allowing them to be played in tandem or to unlock content.

People will say this is why 3DS failed no Mario. That is not the case at all the reason 3DS failed was the lack of quality software in general. Nintendo's strongest IP launch day was Nintendogs an unproven IP nobody could have know if it would succeed or fail. Pilot Wings was far too old to be a flag ship title and Steel Diver was not a strong new IP rather a mediocre title many compared to an I-pad or Flash game.

Star Fox and Donkey Kong are both proven franchises with massive followings. Combined they should he able to shift between 1.5 million and 2 million hardware units. Combine Pikmin3 and a Sonic exclusive at 2 million hardware units sold during the first month or two on market is good. Likely more would sell as well due to the holidays and other software.

The one thing I do agree with. Is investors will need to see Mario at E3 they will be pushing for an immediate release. However investors often do not understand the industry. They see Mario as gold and don't care about the ramifications.

Mario should be steadily released one 3D game and one 2D game each generation. Mario Part once a generation. Mario Party two to three times a generation. Paper Mario at least once a generation. Mario and Sonic games on a regular basis. Smash Bros tie ins. The new education game I mentioned in the other thread....

Mario needs to remain diversified. You can't release a mainstream Mario title every year. Add in the Mario sports titles and Nintendo has it made in the shade.

I would say a fall release of 2D Mario on 3DS or release early 2013 and an announcement of Mario 3D for WiiU eight months after launch. Alongside SF/DK/Pikmin3 and Retros and Miyamoto's new IP plus the other new titles for WiiU like the educational game I mentioned. Also Pokemon Grey and a new Pokemon game from Genius Sonority returning to the plot based games they had on CDN.

Investors would be more then satisfied. Nintendo could project profits of 100-200 million for fiscal 2012.

-JC7

Without a doubt, I want Super Smash Bros. 4 (preferably with Megaman in the game). If you're a stickler and don't count Team Sora games as Nintendo-developed, obviously I'm a sucker for Mario.