By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - What is your favorite Hip Hop(Pop)Rap album of all time, and why?

Tagged games:

toadslayer72 said:
adriane23 said:

Four way tie. If you don't like these, drown yourself.

Wu Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang(36 Chambers)
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
Big K.R.I.T. - K.R.I.T. Wuz Here
Big K.R.I.T. - Return of 4Eva

Off Topic: Pop is neither Hip Hop nor Rap. There is pop rap though.

"Rap is not pop, if you call it that then stop" - Check the Rhime

Hell yeah.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network

I don't listen to a whole lot of rap/hip hop... But I really like a lot of individual songs.
I don't like the skits, that are on a lot of my favorite rap records, and A lot of the records go on too long (Over 60 minutes is too long imo for any record)

OutKast, Atliens and Stankonia... Odd, I really love OutKast. Or atleast when they did songs together >_

Seems like it was easier to make a complete album back in the day. Now, I keep skipping songs when I used to let the whole album play.

And speaking of old school, Commmon vs. Drake. We have ourselves a new beef between one of the most respected players in the game and the current Hip Hop sensation. Who's gonna win the battle of the light-skinned rappers?

I say it just takes a little common sense to know who will come out on top.

Outkast and Marshal Manthars LP are probably the best overall.. For 2011 Drake's album was a good one, and it really surprised me ( I used to hate Drake)

2Pacalypse Now (1991)  - old school, the birth of an era, and it really digs into 2Pac's philosophy and his role as sort of a "Black Jesus" so to speak. It also established his story-telling style of rap that was highly influential towards other hugely successful rappers such as Eminem and Biggie Small. Incidently, 2Pacalypse Now is also 2Pac's most overlooked album by far since he didn't really hit pop music mainstream until his release of Me Against the World a few years later - although he did really make an impact with this one which was many levels above the competition at the time.

If My Homie Calls is probably the only song on the album that won't offend anyone. Although I recommend searching up "I don't give a ****", Part Time Mutha (my personal favourite), Words of Wisdom, and Brenda's Got a Baby.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Aquemini - Outkast
Illmatic - Nas
Stillmatic - Nas
Like Water For Chocolate - Common
Late Registration - Kanye West
Blueprint - Jay- Z
Finding Forever - Common
The Chronic - Dr. Dre
400 Degreez - Juvenile
We Are The Streets - The L.O.X.
All Eyes On Me - 2Pac

360 Games Now Playing   360 Games unopened:  Resonance of Fate  Last 360 Game I Beat: Resident Evil 5

DS Games Now Playing: Dragon Quest VI  DS Games unopened Knights in the Nightmare, Etrian Odyssey III, Okamiden, Dragon Quest IX Last DS Game I beat: Radiant Historia

Wii Games Now Playing  Super Mario Galaxy 2, Arc Rise Fantasia  Wii  Games unopened  Little King's Story, Sonic Colors, Silent Hill Shattered Memories Last Wii Game I beat: Sin & Punishment 2

toadslayer72 said:
Oh wow, that's too hard to pick one, I don't know if I could pick twenty lol. I mean the 80's had some real good stuff from the likes of Eric B and Rakim, KRS-One, Slick Rick right up P.E., Big Daddy Kane, De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, Black Sheep and the Jungle Bros. EPMD has some real classics too....get the bozak!!! Then the 90's....more Tribe and De La (I always like them more though), NWA, Gang Starr, Nas, Wu-Tang, Fat Joe, Mos Def & Talib Kweli, The Roots, Company Flow, MF DOOM and so on....

I guess I can only give artists, sorry. Here are my 5 favorite based on what I've listened to most of and in no particular order. El-P/Company Flow, MF DOOM, Mos Def, De La Soul and I can't separate Nas because of Illmatic and Raekwon because of Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, those two tapes/cd's got much play in the mid-90's.

You are right on the money with 80's hip hop.  Those were the golden days, when groups had to do more with less, and knew how to spit some dope lyrics.  I disagree with your 90s list, however.  In the 90s, and especially today, groups lost the meaning of words hip hop and RAP.  They don't rhyme or even stay on beat anymore.  Most people forget that RAP stands for Rythmic American Poetry, and for good reason.

Don't forget the first two albums from LL and Run DMC.  Those were classic.  I also loved PRT, but most people never heard of them.  They had skills.  I'm expecting a lot of people on this site to not even be familiar with the 80s, and list only recent crap, which is a shame.

Outkast - Stankonia

I loved almost all the tracks on that album.

PrimeBigTime said:
toadslayer72 said:
Oh wow, that's too hard to pick one, I don't know if I could pick twenty lol. I mean the 80's had some real good stuff from the likes of Eric B and Rakim, KRS-One, Slick Rick right up P.E., Big Daddy Kane, De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, Black Sheep and the Jungle Bros. EPMD has some real classics too....get the bozak!!! Then the 90's....more Tribe and De La (I always like them more though), NWA, Gang Starr, Nas, Wu-Tang, Fat Joe, Mos Def & Talib Kweli, The Roots, Company Flow, MF DOOM and so on....

I guess I can only give artists, sorry. Here are my 5 favorite based on what I've listened to most of and in no particular order. El-P/Company Flow, MF DOOM, Mos Def, De La Soul and I can't separate Nas because of Illmatic and Raekwon because of Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, those two tapes/cd's got much play in the mid-90's.

You are right on the money with 80's hip hop.  Those were the golden days, when groups had to do more with less, and knew how to spit some dope lyrics.  I disagree with your 90s list, however.  In the 90s, and especially today, groups lost the meaning of words hip hop and RAP.  They don't rhyme or even stay on beat anymore.  Most people forget that RAP stands for Rythmic American Poetry, and for good reason.

Don't forget the first two albums from LL and Run DMC.  Those were classic.  I also loved PRT, but most people never heard of them.  They had skills.  I'm expecting a lot of people on this site to not even be familiar with the 80s, and list only recent crap, which is a shame.

I would never want to argue with a person who is defending 80's Hip-Hop and even such terms as Hip-Hop and Rap but I strongly disagree with your generalization of 90's Hip-Hop. I do agree however that the 90's was the beginning of the deterioration of Rap, unfortunately. But to suggest that an MC like Nas wasn't spittin' fire (whilst staying on beat) on Illmatic is insane to me. Or that Black Star and Company Flow weren't representing the Hip-Hop culture to the fullest in the mid- late 90's is equally insane. There are many MCs from the 90's that grew up listening to the same shit that we were listening to in the 80's and it's influence is apparent. I'm talking battle rap type of MCs too, not just bling, gats and bitches. MCs that gave a fuck about being nice at it just so they could say so. 

Listen, that "72" in my name isn't random, it's a birthyear and although I was pretty young when it really started jumping off, I was right there loving the Hip-Hop culture. I couldn't break, do graf or have the resouces to DJ but observing all of those facets all while really listening to the music was how I came up. At the same time, I know where I'm at, meaning this site, and I don't expect a lot from the community here either regarding this topic. I mean it's not their fault they don't know what Gazelle's are or who the hell the Juice Crew or DJ Red Alert are. Fuck, now I'm feeling old.....I'm gonna go watch Wild Style, Peace.

I LOVE paying for Xbox Live! I also love that my love for it pisses off so many people.

toadslayer72 said:
PrimeBigTime said:
toadslayer72 said:

I would never want to argue with a person who is defending 80's Hip-Hop and even such terms as Hip-Hop and Rap but I strongly disagree with your generalization of 90's Hip-Hop. I do agree however that the 90's was the beginning of the deterioration of Rap, unfortunately. But to suggest that an MC like Nas wasn't spittin' fire (whilst staying on beat) on Illmatic is insane to me. Or that Black Star and Company Flow weren't representing the Hip-Hop culture to the fullest in the mid- late 90's is equally insane. There are many MCs from the 90's that grew up listening to the same shit that we were listening to in the 80's and it's influence is apparent. I'm talking battle rap type of MCs too, not just bling, gats and bitches. MCs that gave a fuck about being nice at it just so they could say so. 

Listen, that "72" in my name isn't random, it's a birthyear and although I was pretty young when it really started jumping off, I was right there loving the Hip-Hop culture. I couldn't break, do graf or have the resouces to DJ but observing all of those facets all while really listening to the music was how I came up. At the same time, I know where I'm at, meaning this site, and I don't expect a lot from the community here either regarding this topic. I mean it's not their fault they don't know what Gazelle's are or who the hell the Juice Crew or DJ Red Alert are. Fuck, now I'm feeling old.....I'm gonna go watch Wild Style, Peace.

I agree, NAS does stay on beat, but I believe he pushes the limits of what I would consider "rhyme".  I guess I'm just a traditionalist, having picked up my first album in '85 (Doug E. Fresh and the Get Fresh Crew).  I respect your opinion though, and hey, if I had a number at the end of my name it would say 73.  You are only as old as you feel!