By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda SS outsold by Zelda OO3D

It's not normal anymore for a new game to outsold a remake?

Spiders den are not for men.

My gaming channel: Stefano and the Spiders.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MultiSpider87?feature=mhum

Around the Network
Roar_Of_War said:

The concept of Zelda 1 is what we need for the series right now, in my opinion. Freedom, combat focused (even with the items themselves), far less or NO puzzles, non-linearity, player growth (optional swords/armor/items and so on, maybe expand on this even further), high exploration that isn't limited by game progress, a huge overworld, higher difficulty, enemies everywhere, maybe even a second quest. Just imagine Zelda 1 on the Wii but with an overworld 3-4x as large with even more content and freedom placed into it..towns or even cities would be great..that is my ideal Zelda game, 2D or 3D makes no difference so long as the quality is captured solidly in either.

But Nintendo would never make another Zelda game like that. Zelda 1 and LttP are the only ones, and those are very old (but still great) games that deserve to be put on the scale of a modern day game. Skyrim would have some serious competition.

I'd like to see if Retro Studios or some other west developer could do it. Modern Zelda fans say the concept of old Zelda would be a flop, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Just look at Skyrim's success. An excact clone with the same size and length of Zelda 1 or LttP, for a modern day on a home console, may not sell as great, but that would be unfair and stupid. Zelda 1 is a 25 year old game..it could -easily- expand to the size and content of Skyrim and have a few old kinks polished up. That would undoubtedly sell loads (Zelda 1 sold to a cold market without name recognition and still sold nearing 7 million. Just as Mario Kart expanded its sales, so could Zelda), I truly believe that. Just don't go making it look like TWW or something.

I agree with what you said mostly for my ideal Zelda, except lack of puzzles, I love those, and, I think that's what skyrim needs for a change of pace inside those games. But more role playing elements would be neat. And higher difficulty. (though, elder scrolls really isn't difficult either imo).

But, it's getting to the point where it's kind of, if you add all those things... it's not really even similar to current zelda. which after majora's mask I found stale (haven't played SS yet). 

Just because skyrim is successful, doesn't mean, a zelda in that format would be successful. For instance, there's not been a game on Nintendo consoles, like Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim. It's not exactly the same market.
And then if you make it too much like skyrim... then you get everyone going. OMGZ nintendo's westernizing zelda! or something stupid. Or they could just stay the course and let current zelda fans be happy which there are many, and to me, that seems the likely outcome.

It's not so much the Wiis install base, but rather the Wii Motion+ install base you should be looking at, unless Z:SS ships with a free motion+ peripheral. It's true for me, the motion controls deterred me from purchasing the game, just like how they were forced in the Wii version of TP. While DS and Wii were great consoles, the Zeldas on both were less than stellar personally. A more traditional control scheme for both would have been greatly desired.

VGC have SS at 2.6 M, and OoT on 2.9 M, these are really close, I think WII game will sell good with time, and will outsell the 3DS Zelda, SS was released in Nov & OoT was released in Jun

dany612 said:
TheDarkBender said:
dany612 said:
Lack of advertisement on television and the quality of their ads. I never saw a Skyward Sword commercial on tv but I had to YOUTUBE them and they lacked creativity and the sense of 'oh this game looks awesome I have to go buy'. MW3 commercial-now that's how one should advertise.

There were a lot of commercials on tv for it, almost every commercialblock had one in the evening. They were all the same tho, all those with robin williams and zelda williams in it.

Where do you live? Not here in the U.S..

I live in Europe, so maybe they tried to push the sales in Europe so The Legend Of Zelda would become more popular here.

Around the Network
Lucas-Rio said:

I just can't get why....

Userbase: Wii : 95 millions,   3DS 14 millions

Competition on the platform: Wii: None for this holiday, 3DS  Mario 3D Land and Mario kart who are selling huge

Plus the previous Zelda on Wii is the best sold of the whole serie if you include the gamecube numbers.

So why Skyward Sword is selling so bad? Zelda has never been among the greatest sales but still. Being beaten by a remakeof the same serie is quite terrible.

It looks like it won't even reach Wind Waker numbers, a game released on parc of just 22 millions gamecube.

It's quite logical. It's not like the Wii has 95 mill active users, that number is surely substantially lower after a full year of no games being released for the system. Casual games like Just Dance and Mario & Sonic at the Olympics are selling like crazy because most of the core gamers who bought a Wii are now buying games for the PS3 or 360.

There is no denying, skyward sword is underperforming. I think its due to 2 things...

Despite the Wii 96m installbase alot of people have since packed the console away and are now playing another system. Those who are still playing it, see it as mainly a device more mario and party/family games.

My younger brothers who loved the earlier games simply don't care about skyward sword. mayb its the artstyle

mjo011 said:
Lucas-Rio said:

I just can't get why....

Competition on the platform: Wii: None for this holiday, 3DS  Mario 3D Land and Mario kart who are selling huge

Plus the previous Zelda on Wii is the best sold of the whole serie if you include the gamecube numbers.

So why Skyward Sword is selling so bad? Zelda has never been among the greatest sales but still. Being beaten by a remakeof the same serie is quite terrible.

It looks like it won't even reach Wind Waker numbers, a game released on parc of just 22 millions gamecube.

It's quite logical. It's not like the Wii has 95 mill active users, that number is surely substantially lower after a full year of no games being released for the system. Casual games like Just Dance and Mario & Sonic at the Olympics are selling like crazy because most of the core gamers who bought a Wii are now buying games for the PS3 or 360.

This is not true.  Wii players still play on the Wii  and still buy the major release as every big games released is a best seller. Except Zelda, who sold decently but not according to what we could have expected.

Lucas-Rio said:
mjo011 said:
Lucas-Rio said:

I just can't get why....

This is not true.  Wii players still play on the Wii  and still buy the major release as every big games released is a best seller. Except Zelda, who sold decently but not according to what we could have expected.

That's crazy talk. The Wii does not have 96 million active users.

Does the DS and PS2 have 150 million active users as well?

Roar_Of_War said:

OoT 3D is being lifted by the bundle and was released far earlier in the year. Not to undermine OoT 3D's success - The fact that so many people are grabbing it and the bundle shows that people are interested in the first place. It has competition - SM3DL and Mario Kart 7, and a lot of people are still buying it (and I can't even find a bundle where I am - I'm not convinced the "limited" bundle is all that is causing OoT 3D to uprise) over or with those games.

But people are actually undermining Skyward Swords sales. not OoT 3D sales. It's selling at a faster pace than TP, and being (TP) an AAA title with name recognition as a launch title IMPROVES sales upon launch (and it was released for the Holidays just like Skyward Sword!). It's true that TP had a good  5 years to sell, though..and that's why SS is selling faster. I don't believe the game will die out near the Wii U's release and it's faster start will assure that it legs to 4-5 million anyway.

However, it's possible to go either way. We just have to wait and see what happens. The Oracles/Majora's Mask released late into their systems life cycles and didn't sell as amazing as other Zelda games in the long run. If Skyward Sword fails to make it to 5 million or even TWW numbers, it isn't anything we haven't seen in the past with the series anyway.

This. All the talk about the Skyward Sword sales being bad is mindblowing.  It's already cleared 1.5 million worldwide, what more do you expect?  It's doing fine, everyone stop worrying.