By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GameTrailers GAME OF THE YEAR 2011

Tagged games:

pezus said:
Barozi said:

Gametrailers can't be trusted with awards and their reviews.
They have developed from PS3 haters (yeah I know they were trolling) to PS3 fanboys.
Look at how basically every more or less popular/hyped PS3 exclusive is quite a bit above the average critic score over the last few years.

Metascore in brackets:

InFamous 2 - 9.2 (83)
Killzone 3 - 9.4 (84)
Resistance 3 - 8.8 (83)
MotorStorm: Apocalypse - 8.5 (77)
SOCOM 4 - 7.9 (67)
Yakuza 4 - 8.3 (78)
Gran Turismo 5 - 9.0 (84)
Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection - 8.0 (91) Surprise !

And I'm not complaining about things like Uncharted 3 being 3 points higher than the average. Also I don't doubt that it's worthy of getting awards.

They finally realized PS3 exclusives are better than most reviewers make them out to be. Look at 360 scores too please, and compare. I don't doubt that they rate 360 exclusives higher than average (but then again, there aren't that many recent 360 exclusives to be able to compare fully).

conspiracy much ?

As for the rest I have to say the outcome of that would be totally irrelevant. Everything would support my "theory" that Gametrailers scores cannot be taken seriously.

If Xbox exclusives were rated lower than the average = biased towards PS3
If Xbox exclusives were rated just like the average = biased towards PS3
If Xbox exclusives were rated much higher than the average i.e. even higher than their PS3 games = biased towards Xbox 360
If Xbox exclusives were rated higher than the average just like PS3 games = biased scores towards popular/hyped games

Obviously a site like Gametrailers profits from hype more than any other site.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
You can't trust GT when it comes to their awards. Activision and other companies pay them too much money..

Guess Activision's check still in the mail. 

It came so close in 2009 but it finally won. Hurray Uncharted.

SpartenOmega117 said:
Gametrailers does what VGCHARTZ doesn't- completely eliminate Skyrim from any PS3 category. Well done. Although I did think Uncharted 2 was better...

LOL THIS!!!

OT: well deserved!! uncharted 2 was robbed in 2009! GT completely fell into the MW2 hype!! they said something "like we chose MW2 because we played it longer!"(some BS)

I'm a big GT fan and am sad to see some negativity going toward them. I think their GOTY awards have generally been spot on and they have done a great job in making them interesting, competitive and surprising without going out their way to be controversial. For the most part I'd agree with them and I don't think you can really shout out too much bias - the only controversial decision they've made imo is not including Zelda on some categories, but from what I've heard on their podcast and whatnot it's just not a game they really enjoyed that much.

Someone on here was saying they inflated PS3 exclusive scores compared to metacritic or something, but (Without any prior research by myself) I'm guessing that's just a trend that is true of ALL GT scores whether they be exclusive to any console or multi-platform. Maybe they gave the two Microsoft exclusives a slightly lower score but when a console only has 2 exclusives that matter in a year that can happen. Either way they're generally my primary source for reviews and I've come to accept they rate things higher then most, but for me they generally get things spot on - albeit I've come to know what their rating system means.

Well deserved, single-player campaign was unreal. Multiplayer is much improved, more in depth, and just plain fun.