By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Forbes take on PSVita launch

wow some one playing once gran turismo call of duty etc comes out for vita it will b e better cards ya kid i dont think you saw the psp

psp had all of those before
what you think if sony rince and repeats its going to out sell the 3ds i dont think so i think its going to do worst in the west because psp did exactly that even with the titles you have just mentioned

Around the Network
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
Wow, $50.. FIFTY AMERICAN DOLLARS....

Unchardted: Golden Abyss is the only title that cost $50.

All other games cost $29.99 or $39.99.

Acevil said:
Galaki said:
Enjoy it while it lasts. Come April, it's WiiU's turn.

Can't wait for that honestly. Damn WiiU hasn't had any information announced yet to be doomed enough. 

Think he was referring to the imminent doom threads the Wii U will have to endure once it launches.
All hardware has a tough time launching, some more than others. I find it hilarious that we still get doom threads after only 1 week of sales. Its hilarious really.

VGKing said:
Acevil said:
Galaki said:
Enjoy it while it lasts. Come April, it's WiiU's turn.

Can't wait for that honestly. Damn WiiU hasn't had any information announced yet to be doomed enough. 

Think he was referring to the imminent doom threads the Wii U will have to endure once it launches.
All hardware has a tough time launching, some more than others. I find it hilarious that we still get doom threads after only 1 week of sales. Its hilarious really.

I too was referring to the imminent doom threads about Wii U, interesting comments are made when something doomed.

Seece said:
The main clutch of the article is right, but filled with a lot of guff that doesn't make sense.

I think that more importantly than it being filled with a lot of guff, is all the guff that it's missing. It makes no mention of the different models, and makes no attempt of the news that is coming out of Japan. Wifi models are hard to find. 3G models are sometimes on discount.

There is a problem with the models and Sony's strategy. Deriving anything from the simple fact that week 2 is low, is going to bring incorrect results.

Sony made a mistake in this fashion because it's so easy to look at the numbers and spell doom. That brings bad publicity, and hurts the system. Even though they might be making a lot more from the sales, there is absolutely no reason why anyone should get the 3g model. There is no real bonus to having it with games, especially in a city as wireless as tokyo, or really any city in Japan.

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:

The pricepoint of $250 wouldn't be so bad if the games and accessories weren't also expensive. Sony needs to realize that they don't have the brandname power to sell high-end, expensive products like Apple does. Seriously, fifty dollar handheld games? FIFTY DOLLAR HANDHELD GAMES? Meanwhile the 3DS has several games on sale and the most popular titles are at $40.

I'm positive that the Vita will improve in sales and we'll look back at this period a couple years later in amusement. But Sony definitely needs a change in their business model.

Well not anymore anyway.  I'd argue they once did.

Other then that I pretty much agree on all counts.  I'm not paying 50 for a handheld game that's for sure.

Kasz216 said:
MontanaHatchet said:

The pricepoint of $250 wouldn't be so bad if the games and accessories weren't also expensive. Sony needs to realize that they don't have the brandname power to sell high-end, expensive products like Apple does. Seriously, fifty dollar handheld games? FIFTY DOLLAR HANDHELD GAMES? Meanwhile the 3DS has several games on sale and the most popular titles are at $40.

I'm positive that the Vita will improve in sales and we'll look back at this period a couple years later in amusement. But Sony definitely needs a change in their business model.

Well not anymore anyway.  I'd argue they once did.

Other then that I pretty much agree on all counts.  I'm not paying 50 for a handheld game that's for sure.

I think Sony has three viable strategies:

1. A cheap console with a higher premium on game prices

2. A more expensive console with cheaper games (perhaps many selling for $20 or less)

3. A good balance of the two

I realize that most of the money is made on software and that charging high prices for games is an easy way to boost profitability, but Apple has changed the playing field. With Apple devices offering many games for a dollar, and many even for free, charging forty or fifty dollars for a game seems like an increasingly poor option. It hasn't seemed to affect the 3DS so far (which is doing very well), but Sony will need to counteract the PSP's weakness in selling software by making sure that its successor can move games.