By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gamespot is right... Skyward Swords controls are bad.

I have yet to have a problem with them. Perhaps your mom is holding the controller upside down? :P

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Around the Network

Well.. Some people love Zelda new control, some people just can't handle it and hate it.

So one persons opinion makes up your mind?  Thje game is amazing and controls beautifully.  I can't imagine playing Zelda any other way after Skyward Sword.  Just give it a try.

I had almost no problems with the motion controls for the entire game except for second to last boss. At the point where you're supposed to stab, the controls kept confusing my stab motions with shield thrusts. It was extremely frustrating when it worked just fine before that point.

Pokemon Y FC: 1461-6202-2180

in-game name: Matthew

Wyrdness said:

Here's a tip do slashes and motions slowly and more casual, after watching my cousin play and seeing him doing these odd waggles motions or try to do fast actions I can see why WMP misreads motions if that's what people are doing. If anyone is having problems just stop and do the motions much slower, I never had a problem when I did that.

Another tip is when you are about to use an item or do something that requires an aiming style mechanic, position the Wiimote into a comfortable neutral position for aiming before you do so otherwise you'll be constantly using recentre.

That really helped. Success rate has gone up to 90% now, I'm finally at the end of the forest temple.
I was playing it like the gladiator duel in move sports champions. Slow little movements work much better.

Enjoying it now, thanks.

Around the Network

When I was playing with the demo in Target I found making the face buttons perpendicular to the ceiling helps me perform accurate vertical and diagonal sword slashes. You have to imagine that the controller is a sword. You don't slice up and down with the broad side of a sword pointing up. You slice with the sword edge pointing up.

t3mporary_126 said:
When I was playing with the demo in Target I found making the face buttons perpendicular to the ceiling helps me perform accurate vertical and diagonal sword slashes. You have to imagine that the controller is a sword. You don't slice up and down with the broad side of a sword pointing up. You slice with the sword edge pointing up.

This is useful in other situations as well. The harp gets finicky if you keep face buttons upwards, and some enemies that require a perfect side-slash the first time lest they reset (i'm looking at you, Quadribaba!) it's better to quickly twist the controller and lunge

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I also tend to find critics that agree with my opinion as 'right'.

Jokes aside, I would kill for a more traditional control scheme for this game.

Asking on d21lewis' and some others behalf. Is your mother hot?

TakeMeToTheHospital said:
dsage01 said:
I can't believe your mom being a Zelda gamer never mentioned how "improved" the visuals were from Twilight Princess. Honestly I can't really notice the difference between the two games when it comes to controls, amount of lag (both games had quite a lot) and visuals. I being a huge Zelda fan before Twilight Princess came out and a fan of the series before Zelda SS came out. I'm really disappointed with the Zelda this generation.

Neither game has lag bro. It's your LCD tvs input lag. My LCD tv has a 'game mode' so i don't get lag. Wii suffers the most input lag due to the amount of upscaling.  

To start off with I don't own a Wii and I never did. But I'm am just telling you my opinions after playing a bunch of Zelda from both my cousins house and my best friends house. And I have a LED TV...