By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Underappreciated DS Games

With the recent success of the 3DS and the release of hit titles likes Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7, this holiday season has marked the passing of the torch from the DS to the 3DS. The last seven years of the DS's life have witnessed the release of many great titles and various hit games. However, in the flurry of strong releases, many great games have fallen to the wayside. What do you think have been some underappreciated games on the DS that should be given a second look over?

One game I'd like to mention is Age of Empires: The Age of Kings.

One of the DS's earliest and best titles. A fantastic strategy game with plenty of content an challenging scenarios. While it didn't sell huge numbers, it's definitely a title any strategy fan should try out. With five different civilizations to play as, through various time periods and advancements, it was a great early title in the DS library.

So, what were some other underappreciated DS games?

Around the Network

Valkryie Profiile,Radiant Historia and Mega Man ZX series.

Another one of my strategy favorites would be Advance Wars: Days of Ruin. Definitely not an easy game but tons of fun.

Age of Empires. Puts a smile on my face to see that name, one of the best game series in history. Today all but forgotten.

Dragon Quest IX
Rune Frontier games
Ghost Trick
SMT: Strange Journey
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia
Sands of Destruction
Super Scribblenauts
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
999 - 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors

The list is too damn big!

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network

Meteos. Hands down the most under appreciated. I guess Contact but that's a matter of taste.

don't waste time

3DS FC 4914-3563-4510

NNID : turtuls

I bought more than 100 DS games. It's my most favorite system of the Wii/DS gen. My DS passion still prevents me from bying a 3DS.

I agree with lots already mentioned, especially AoE: AoK, TWEWY and Radiant Historia. I haven't play AW: Days of Ruin, but Advance Wars: Dual Strike, which is excellent as well.

The DS has a huge library of underappreciated games imo (only by audiences, as many of them were appreciated by reviewers), such as:

- Soul Bubbles
- Alice in Wonderland
- Okamiden
- 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
- Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
- Hotel Dusk: Room 215
- Last Window: The Secret of Cape West
- The Wizard of Oz: Beyond The Yellow Brick Road
- Solatorobo: Red the Hunter
- Nostalgia
- Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals
- Suikoden Tierkreis
- Glory of Heracles
- Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard
- Knights in the Nightmare
- Anno: Create a New World (similar to AoE this was a great handheld transition of a famous and successful PC franchise)

Dragon Quest games were not underappreciated on DS imo. Great games (the remakes and the new ones), good reviews, good to great sales.

I still wished SE had released Sigma Harmonics and Nintendo had released Soma Bringer in the west. Looked like great games (especially Sigma Harmonics) and had two of the best soundtracks of the gen imo. I still plan to play the Japanese version of SB with the English patch some day.

What I said about Dragon Quest also applies to Scribblenauts and its succcessor imo:
Not underappreciated at all - the franchise got very good reviews and excellent sales (close to 3 million for a new IP is very impressive).

Awesome list okr. I was going to mention Okamiden but I loved Age of Empires on the DS so much. Days of Ruin is a great AW game and I highly recommend it.

turtuls said:
Meteos. Hands down the most under appreciated. I guess Contact but that's a matter of taste.

This. I loved Meteos. My favourite puzzle game of all time. Take that Portal.