Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Sued For Preventing PSN Users From Suing Sony

Tagged games:

Is A PS3 Worth Having Anymore ????

Yes 45 64.29%

No 24 34.29%

Total:69
Lord Ciansworth said:
Kasz216 said:
A) Why are you argueing about Other OS when this is a lawsuit about EULA requiring you to not file lawsuits about anything?

B) A Court hd already ruled against Sony in that matter in I want to say sweeden.   An American court hasn't, although feasably could have, which is why Sony settled with Geohotz.  Sony was argueing two opposite arguements in court.  Had Geohotz been found guilty it ironically would of set precedent on the matter that could be cited to convict Sony.  All the Other OS Lawyer would of had to do was point out the conflciting arguements and the Geohotz conviction, and it'd of been over.

C) Additionally reserving the right to change things isn't a blanket legal defense.  If for example, sony had used that clause to update your PS3 to stop playing games.  You can bet Sony would lose that lawsuit.  This was more a case about how much more preiphery advertised features are rights.

B) I don't know if things would work out quite as black and white as all that.

C) Nobody, least of all me, is trying to argue it's a blanket legal defense. It certainly would not be a defence in the scenario you outlined. In the instance I referred to, however, it does offer them some legal protection. EULAs, after all, do exist for a reason and are not completely devoid of legal standing, as some would argue.

B)   Sony seemed to think so, regardless I think it pretty clearly disproves "no court would rule agains them."  A lot of these areas of legal framework have no concrete precedents or rulings for a reason.  Corporations don't want them to and will always settle because a judgement may help them in one case, but screw them in the next.

It's just like all the ridiculious patent jousting companies do.

C)  Not in the way your thinking.

What saved them protection was that the changes were outlined and the person had the ability to click yes or no.

Had sony exercised their right to "change anything" by just changing it through an automatic patch... they probably would of lost.

Around the Network

They can take your personal data and sell it to anyone for what every they can use it for,
and you can't take them to court if your identity is stolen.
All these "Agreements" must be read thoroughly and we should fight for our freedom in suing a big
company like Sony because they have fumbled and continue to fumble with gamers personal credit card
information and home address.

I don't agree with Sony, or any company that tries to own personal data because you use their service.
I applaud this person who took a stand against Sony for our sake to raise awareness of this hidden agreements.

Fight For Your Right

This has to be a joke.

"Is A PS3 Worth Having Anymore ????"

WTF?

h2o1977 said:
They can take your personal data and sell it to anyone for what every they can use it for,
All these "Agreements" must be read thoroughly and we should fight for our freedom in suing a big
company like Sony because they have fumbled and continue to fumble with gamers personal credit card

I don't agree with Sony, or any company that tries to own personal data because you use their service.
I applaud this person who took a stand against Sony for our sake to raise awareness of this hidden agreements.

Fight For Your Right

the sad thing here is that being a big xbox supporter you're completely oblivious ( or maybe you aren't and just don't care ) to the fact that microsoft implemented the same thing in xbox live

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/07/new-xbox-live-terms-of-service-prevent-class-action-lawsuits-aga/

"As the language suggests, the waiver bars any user from entering a class action lawsuits against Microsoft, requiring instead that all disputes be solved by "informal negotiation." Should said negotiation fail to solve the dispute, individuals may enter into binding arbitration with the company.

Microsoft certainly isn't the first company to add such language to its terms of service, as mentioned above, and it likely won't be the last. The company has dealt with the looming specter of class action lawsuits before, one as recently as 2010. As with other similar terms of service changes, users may choose to reject it by sending a letter (a paper one) to Microsoft Corporation, ATTN: LCA ARBITRATION, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052-6399.

We've embedded the relevant sections of the terms of service after the break.

Update: It turns out that you actually can't opt out of the arbitration agreement, at least not if you want to keep using Xbox Live. Microsoft has informed Kotaku that the ability for customers to reject changes only applies to future changes to the arbitration agreement. From now on, individuals wishing to file a dispute may do so by visiting xbox.com/notice, filling out a form and mailing it – again, an actual paper letter – to Microsoft.

Should the dispute not be satisfactorily resolved in 60 days, users can submit an arbitration claim (PDF), an onerous process requiring fees, multiple copies of forms and, not least of all, an attorney."

Around the Network

Well, as Pachter said, the only people getting rich from these lawsuits are the lawyers.

Chevinator123 said:
"Is A PS3 Worth Having Anymore ????"

WTF?

You post coincides with your avatar

Yay!!!

o_O.Q said:
h2o1977 said:

Fight For Your Right

the sad thing here is that being a big xbox supporter you're completely oblivious ( or maybe you aren't and just don't care ) to the fact that microsoft implemented the same thing in xbox live

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/07/new-xbox-live-terms-of-service-prevent-class-action-lawsuits-aga/

"As the language suggests, the waiver bars any user from entering a class action lawsuits against Microsoft, requiring instead that all disputes be solved by "informal negotiation." Should said negotiation fail to solve the dispute, individuals may enter into binding arbitration with the company.

Microsoft certainly isn't the first company to add such language to its terms of service, as mentioned above, and it likely won't be the last. The company has dealt with the looming specter of class action lawsuits before, one as recently as 2010. As with other similar terms of service changes, users may choose to reject it by sending a letter (a paper one) to Microsoft Corporation, ATTN: LCA ARBITRATION, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052-6399.

We've embedded the relevant sections of the terms of service after the break.

Update: It turns out that you actually can't opt out of the arbitration agreement, at least not if you want to keep using Xbox Live. Microsoft has informed Kotaku that the ability for customers to reject changes only applies to future changes to the arbitration agreement. From now on, individuals wishing to file a dispute may do so by visiting xbox.com/notice, filling out a form and mailing it – again, an actual paper letter – to Microsoft.

Should the dispute not be satisfactorily resolved in 60 days, users can submit an arbitration claim (PDF), an onerous process requiring fees, multiple copies of forms and, not least of all, an attorney."

No I'm not oblivious to the Xbox 360 agreement....All these agreements are the same ones that are givien to people who use social websites..Its based on cloud information that can be used for advertisement or anything else they want.
I disagree with Sony and Microsofts policies regarding online participation.
And you don't have to play online to enjoy a Video Game !

Given the fact that sony has had a bad year, and now you add this to an already frustated PS3 gamers community, will Sony be relevent next year ??
Besides the PSVita what will motivate gamers to trust in Sony ???
Nintendo has a strong hold of the hand held markets, and iOS games are becoming more and more relevant and cheap, how is the PSVitagoing to compete ??
By suing Sony or Microsoft we can raise awareness of these hidden agreements and fight for better policies.

Is A PS3 Worth Having Anymore ????

Of course it is. Why do you think I'm having fun with my family and friends.

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

Just think of the PS3 as the Joker. It had a dark pass. it can make you laugh then scare you in a second and no matter what you do lock it in Arkham Asylum and throw away the key. It will always comeback to create chaos and that's why we love it. Of course there would be no villain and fun without a hero to stop it, that is the faith of batman(xbox 360).

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share