By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Meant for Consumers with Higher Disposable Income, Says Nintendo

"They want to make a more powerful product, they could do what they want, its a free market."

The free market doesn't mean a company can just do what it wants in a vacuum. The free market means consumers can reject and reward anything they want.

And it doesn't matter what you alone are looking forward to. Not unless you can split yourself into over 50 million copies and buy that many systems.

"I dont want a Wii situation, where the damn thing was flooded with Just Dance and Wii Sports ripoffs, and 3rd parties couldnt put there good games on it because Ninty decided to cheap out on hardware."

That is bullshit. 3rd parties COULD put good games on the Wii (because we got plenty on even less powerful systems, one of which was not behind its competitors). They just didn't want to, and likely won't want to with this system either, when they are still obsessed with the flashiest graphics, and the next Xbox and Playstation systems will still do that better.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
Seece said:
thismeintiel said:
Seece said:
thismeintiel said:

Looks like some people were wrong when they said it wouldn't be over $300. I don't see them saying something like this if the price was going to be a mere $50 more than the Wii at launch. Maybe $100 more than the Wii would warrant this kind of talk, but considering how much the other HD consoles launched at, I'm guessing this is going to be more in line with $400.

Of course, if this is true, Nintendo will be making a big mistake. People who buy Nintendo (especially in recent history) buy them not only for their games, but also because of their pricing. They don't mind sacrificing power for a lower price. It seems next gen, though, they'll be be sacrificing power, without much back in the terms of price. I say this because I would imagine the NeXbox and PS4 are going to be launching for $400-$500, but with much more power compared to the Wii U.

Assumptions galore and an awful lot of insider knowledge you have there. Wii U is gonna be $400 and PS4/720 could be the same price yet vastly more powerful?

No need to be an ass just to be an ass.  It's speculation on what we already know or have have been told.  You know, something we do a lot here.  Even you

Nintendo has said twice now that this isn't going to be a cheap system.  There is no way they would say that if they are expecting to only sell it for $50 more than the Wii when it launched, as with the extra power and tablet controller, it would be a given that it would be more expensive.  Like I said, it being $100 more than the Wii could be a reason to say this, but given that the 360 and PS3 launched at an average price of ~$450, $350 doesn't seem so bad.  So, I'm predicting the Wii U will launch at $400. 

As for the PS4, Sony has already announced they will be keeping costs for it down below the PS3's.  This will most likely be accomplished by sticking with Blu-ray and using a CPU tech similar to the Cell.  I would imagine more money would go towards more RAM and a much better GPU.  So I can see the max price being ~$400-$500.  Epic already released a demo of what they feel next gen will look like and I have full confidence the PS4 will be able to pull off very similar graphics.  I would hope the NeXbox would be able to accomplish something close to them, as well, with a similar price point.

None of that answers why WiiU is going to launch at $400 along with PS4 launching at $400, but with PS4 having 'much more power'

Actually, my reasoning is all there.  You may want to read it again, but slower, and let it all seep in. 

HappySqurriel said:
o_O.Q said:
people seem to believe nintendo can launch a console with a controller with a touchscreen, microphone, sensor bar, camera, mic, etc built in and still price it low

People don't seem to understand that a more complicated device has been designed that will be sold as a "Tablet" in India for less than $40 ... With the manufacturer claiming that they're optimistic they can get the manufacturing cost below $10.

that doesn't mean that that can also be applied to this situation...

more sophisticated third party controllers for consoles can be had for substantially cheaper prices than their first party counterparts...

but thats the point these peripherals are always more expensive coming from the console manufacturer but regardless as i've said before we'll have to wait and see to know for certain

After what happened to the 3DS I find it hard to believe that Nintendo would go the pricey way with Wii U. They can't be that crazy can they?

*Cancels WiiU from 2012 list*

Around the Network

Could be a strategy on Nintendo's part making people think it's closer to $600 and then pricing it at $300 - $350 so that all of a sudden it doesn't sound so bad... I don't know. It's still fairly expensive to me though.

One of the key areas I think people are forgetting about is software. If what we are hearing is true then Nintendo has focused all their efforts on the WiiU and ignored the Wii which hopefully means a massive software lineup at launch. The 3DS didn't start selling well until Nintendo released their Mario games and I foresee that an excellent software lineup at launch would make a high price tag more reasonable.

That being said I don't see the WiiU's price going above $400 and even then my guest would be at $350. The WiiU is going to be more expensive than the Wii of that there is no doubt however they have had enough experience with the 3DS and saw what happened to the PS3 to know not to price there system too high.

I expect the PS4/Wii U/Xbox^3 to all launch at a $399.99 price tag.

With the Wii U launching in Q4 2012 (estimate), it will naturally have the weakest hardware compared to the PS4 and Xbox^3 launching in Q1/Q2 2014 (estimate).

Additionally, Nintendo will probably sell its hardware at a $50 profit per unit (cost reduced by using slightly less powerful hardware). Sony and Microsoft will probably be willing to take as large as a $50 loss per unit. The $100 margin will allow Sony and Microsoft to use better parts (especially if they are launching 14-18 months later).

Though, I think we are getting to a point where hardware advancements aren't going to make as much of a difference in the final game products as advancements in SDK software will. Maybe we will see some big breakthroughs in SDK R&D from the big 3.

Personally, I feel a bit bearish towards the upcoming 8th gen home consoles' game libraries.

I hope they prove my worries wrong, very very wrong. o.O

Digging your own grave again, Reggie?

Pricing, pricing. The Wii's momentum in terms of games is clearly dying after the last major launch - Skyward Sword. It's sales are far from dying currently as it's the holiday season, but look what happened to those figures before the holidays, it's spluttering dead. I don't really suppose that the Wii will continue lasting hand-in-hand as though Wii U becomes the real 3rd pillar for the company (like when Ninty wanted the Wii, GBA and the DS to go hand in hand). The future lineup's almost non-existent for the Wii, plus its Virtual Console's plain dead. Where's the momentum to keep the console in existence in the future, even?

Even if Nintendo insists that the Wii will be of a different league than the Wii U, most consumers will continue to view Wii U as the successor to the Wii. And I doubt that many will want to buy "outdated" machines like the Wii when the U's already on the market.

If Nintendo tries to pull a stupid trick off by introducing a steep pricing when Wii U comes out, I can guarantee that Nintendo's screwed big time. Even if consumers don't react as much, its investors probably would, after getting reminded of the 3DS.

What's more, the tablety controller seemed to seal the deal for Nintendo to actually do so.

It all comes down to pricing for the Wii U.

The Wii seems to be increasingly unviable to continue flourishing as it did back then (come on, 90+ million is actually rather market-saturating, just like the PS2 back then), and the Wii U will die if its pricing is deemed outrageous.

Did they not learn from Sony?.....I guess PS4 is Sony regaining dominance

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi