By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Worldwide Sales of Gran Turismo 5 Now Stand At 7.3 Million

GT5's budget was for everything $60 million.
GT5:P sold: 5.33 million copies
GT5 sold: 7.3 million copies.
thats 12.63 million in total.

now since GT5p retailed for $40, i will assume Sony/Polyphony got around $20 per copy sold.
so $20 x 5.33 million = $110 million
so they profited on GT5p just by its self, by $50 million
now you add the 7.3 million GT5, we will assume Sony/PD made $35 per copy.
so $35 x 7.3 = $255 million
so in total they have made around $365 million from this game in revenue

then they also have sold over 1 million DLC's

so i will say 1.5 million x $7 = $10.5 million

so around $380 million

this game is extremely extremely profitable!

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
spurgeonryan said:
so lets just say 10 million copies. Times 60 dollars a copy. Minus whatever Yo_john posted in Man-Bear-pigs thread

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=137816&page=1

Plus whatever the guy above added.

Still seems like a loss to me. 10,000,000 times 60 is 600,000,000 Minus all the crap I just said.

Are you sure about those numbers MDJ? 100,000,000 would make sense I think, but 500-700m sounds out there! Even for a game as high powered as this.

I will await your answer.

Remember everyone I am basing anything I just said on what MDJ said. In a perfect world 1 million would make a profit.

ryan. if the game sold for $60, and 7m wer sold then it's 7m times $60

I said I was done with this thread!

But I have been looking for a picture of Man-bear-pig celebrating Christmas and I found half of what he wanted.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEZFokHzrIdlkDLKqtPAVHioy3VYq3_pVwz3H_hcYSdoKGqx91

ok? hey i was having fun, why you leave?

spurgeonryan said:
You really wants someone who posted a suffering Man-bear-pig on your thread to stay?

yes, you're always welcome. who would post on my wall if you weren't here?

OsamanObama factor in how much them game was sold for in his estimate,and i'd like to think Sony took in more then just $35 per game, but that's just me.

osamanobama said:

now since GT5p retailed for $40, i will assume Sony/Polyphony got around $20 per copy sold.

so around $380 million

love the estimate, but i'd like to think Sony took in more then just $35 per copy, but that's very logical. thanks bud.

spurgeonryan said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
osamanobama said:

so around $380 million

love the estimate, but i'd like to think Sony took in more then just $35 per copy, but that's very logical. thanks bud.

Did you not check out the link that I sent you from what Yo_John wrote on Man-bear-pigs thread? It shows what companies make back in a nice graph.

nope i got like 10 threads to check on. well i had 10, but the one i thought would be the most popular amongst Sony and MS saw an easrly death. that's why i hate posting on the wk.ends

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
spurgeonryan said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
osamanobama said:

so around $380 million

Did you not check out the link that I sent you from what Yo_John wrote on Man-bear-pigs thread? It shows what companies make back in a nice graph.

nope i got like 10 threads to check on. well i had 10, but the one i thought would be the most popular amongst Sony and MS saw an easrly death. that's why i hate posting on the wk.ends

Weekends and nights are the worst! But this one seems to be doing fine!

yea i meant to sat i hate making threads on the wk. ends, but yea this wk end is awesome

spurgeonryan said:
So where do you think this game will be Christmas of next year? Ten million sales? Store bought sales that is...

10-12m. i'm sure GT5 could do 8m by the end of may 2012

While the sales number make it obvious that GT5 has been a great success to Sony in the budget side, you can't forget the advertisement costs, which are never included in the budget of the game. I'm sure that at least there is another 60 million budget for ads, so this game prints money, but a bit less than what osamanobama said.

I can't believe someone thought GT5's budget was around 200M.... That's 2 times what GTAIV's budget was... I game with a huge development studio and over 1000 people were at some point involved with the project.

4 ≈ One

pezus said:

Lol at most of the responses in this thread (I'm looking at you spurge and MDJ!). It's really funny to read because you're just going in circles. Who would think this game didn't profit? GT5Prologue paid for the dev cost and advertising cost by itself and GT5 was most probably pure profit, plus incredibly good DLC sales.

well if you noticed my lowest end projection, showed what i really thought which was $80m. the other were thought's and very high end estimates. i expected these comments, so i'm not bother by them.

you say i went in circles right? well the point of that was to cover any holes that may occur in the process. i didn't expect to get it right, but close enough is fine with me.

Remember, i said i doubt it cost anywhere over 100m, but based on other budgets and thoughts in general i came up with some pretty high numbers. hey give me some credit for the range of scope i used. low end, i was 20m off, not to mention i listed the games that cost more then 100m or came close, like GTA4.

i new GT5 couldn't have cost more then $100m. i expect to continue to get hammered for those projections, and i'll be refreshing this thread all day to explain how and why i used a wide scope. i'd think you'd be use to it by now. hey the best argument is an open one, be best scope is a wide one. i just came up $20m short.