By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Worldwide Sales of Gran Turismo 5 Now Stand At 7.3 Million

Kynes said:
While the sales number make it obvious that GT5 has been a great success to Sony in the budget side, you can't forget the advertisement costs, which are never included in the budget of the game. I'm sure that at least there is another 60 million budget for ads, so this game prints money, but a bit less than what osamanobama said.

so with advertisements my high end projection is likely on the money(with the exception of the 50m per yr. thing lol which i new was wrong)

lighten up people.

Around the Network
pezus said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
pezus said:

Lol at most of the responses in this thread (I'm looking at you spurge and MDJ!). It's really funny to read because you're just going in circles. Who would think this game didn't profit? GT5Prologue paid for the dev cost and advertising cost by itself and GT5 was most probably pure profit, plus incredibly good DLC sales.

well if you noticed my lowest end projection, showed what i really thought which was $80m. the other were thought's and very high end estimates. i expected these comments, so i'm not bother by them.

you say i went in circles right? well the point of that was to cover any holes that may occur in the process. i didn't expect to get it right, but close enough is fine with me.

Remember, i said i doubt it cost anywhere over 100m, but based on other budgets and thoughts in general i came up with some pretty high numbers. hey give me some credit for the range of scope i used. low end, i was 20m off, not to mention i listed the games that cost more then 100m or came close, like GTA4.

i new GT5 couldn't have cost more then $100m. i expect to continue to get hammered for those projections, and i'll be refreshing this thread all day to explain how and why i used a wide scope. i'd think you'd be use to it by now. hey the best argument is an open one, be best scope is a wide one. i just came up $20m short.

Yeah you made a good estimate, but you and Spurge still kept going because I think he misunderstood your post? Not sure, but it was a funny read anyways. So, it's not that you were wrong but more that you and Spurge just had a hilarious conversation back and forth

well i'm happy to provide the funny lol. i like the funny.

Fair enough. I'm not sure what to think when it comes to advertisement, though. SONY isn't really known for big ad-campaigns anymore. I'd put total cost of everything (GT5, GT PSP, DLC development, ads for GT5p, GT PSP and GT5) around 185M at best.

Anyway. I'm sure Polyphony was one of the more profitable teams for SONY this gen. Mainly because while it all talk time, everything was just GT5 or a branch of GT5's development. A lot of GT PSP was just taken from GT5 even. That game looks like it may hit 3M at retail some day according to this site. Very good for a late PSP title.

4 ≈ One

Dgc1808 said:

Fair enough. I'm not sure what to think when it comes to advertisement, though. SONY isn't really known for big ad-campaigns anymore. I'd put total cost of everything (GT5, GT PSP, DLC development, ads for GT5p, GT PSP and GT5) around 185M at best.

Anyway. I'm sure Polyphony was one of the more profitable teams for SONY this gen. Mainly because while it all talk time, everything was just GT5 or a branch of GT5's development. A lot of GT PSP was just taken from GT5 even. That game looks like it may hit 3M at retail some day according to this site. Very good for a late PSP title.

agreed and when you take into consideration that the PSP version didn't cost much to make, and the demo, you can say the wait wasn't that long, but when you want the full version , it in effect takes forever. thanks for coming back.

spurgeonryan said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
pezus said:

Lol at most of the responses in this thread (I'm looking at you spurge and MDJ!). It's really funny to read because you're just going in circles. Who would think this game didn't profit? GT5Prologue paid for the dev cost and advertising cost by itself and GT5 was most probably pure profit, plus incredibly good DLC sales.

well if you noticed my lowest end projection, showed what i really thought which was $80m. the other were thought's and very high end estimates. i expected these comments, so i'm not bother by them.

you say i went in circles right? well the point of that was to cover any holes that may occur in the process. i didn't expect to get it right, but close enough is fine with me.

Remember, i said i doubt it cost anywhere over 100m, but based on other budgets and thoughts in general i came up with some pretty high numbers. hey give me some credit for the range of scope i used. low end, i was 20m off, not to mention i listed the games that cost more then 100m or came close, like GTA4.

i new GT5 couldn't have cost more then $100m. i expect to continue to get hammered for those projections, and i'll be refreshing this thread all day to explain how and why i used a wide scope. i'd think you'd be use to it by now. hey the best argument is an open one, be best scope is a wide one. i just came up $20m short.

But you did see that your highest at one point was 500-700m? Probably a type-o :P  I love that game.

yea i remeber, but it really isn't that far from the truth based on previous estimates, or statments based on profits. hey lest not foget about special editoins my friend.

GT5 could be closer to $600m then you think!

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
spurgeonryan said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
pezus said:

But you did see that your highest at one point was 500-700m? Probably a type-o :P  I love that game.

yea i remeber, but it really isn't that far from the truth based on previous estimates, or statments based on profits. hey lest not foget about special editoins my friend.

GT5 could be closer to $600m then you think!

I do not even remember what this thread was about anymore.

Rappers?

GT5 and how much it made off units sold. it made 4.2m(rounded/estimate) off of how much it sold at $60.

i estimated that Sony takes in $40 bucks per copy sold and that comes out to $150m

spurgeonryan said:
Well then in that case ...wow! 150 million is some sick cash.

You don't like Mr. Grimm?

yea. it's a cool name. thanks

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Kynes said:
While the sales number make it obvious that GT5 has been a great success to Sony in the budget side, you can't forget the advertisement costs, which are never included in the budget of the game. I'm sure that at least there is another 60 million budget for ads, so this game prints money, but a bit less than what osamanobama said.

so with advertisements my high end projection is likely on the money(with the exception of the 50m per yr. thing lol which i new was wrong)

lighten up people.

i can assure you the advertising campaign was no where near 60 million.

it would be half that at max.

i cant remember exact numbers but Uncharted 3 is reported to have sony biggest marketing push ever. and the cost of the campaign was WAYYY southward of 30 million.

i bet with dev cost and advert cost, and what ever, it was no more than $80 million

Holy crap @ how much Europe >>> the rest!!

I remember reading GT5 cost about 60m, add marketing (its Sony :P) I doubt it's more than 90m total. That means GT5 made profit week 1. Not to mention Prologues 5m sales.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)