By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Worldwide Sales of Gran Turismo 5 Now Stand At 7.3 Million

Can't believe some of the estimates for GT5 costs here, or the view it might not have made money. Between GT5:P, GT5:PSP and now GT5 PD (and by extension Sony) have seen a huge amount of business.

Total cost for GT5 on it's own I would struggle to believe could have been more than $60 million - I'd need a cast iron link to believe it cost more than that.

Uncharted cost $30 million according to ND including all costs for developing new engine, etc. Gears of War Epic put $10 million to the game although they did exclude a fair bit of engine costs that were absorbed within their overall business, plus I believe they also didn't include costs for some off-shore work.

Modern Warfare I believe is around $60 million an entry - which is high for the size/content of the title - but no doubt is required in terms of having more man-time invloved to crunch the games out faster.

GTIV I believe may have been around $100 million with a ton of staff and a huge amount of content generation - way above what GT5 could have been.

So, unless there is a link showing some crazy costs/mad mantime to produce I struggle to see it costing more than $60 million and could easily see it costing a bit less.

At max say $20 million advertising, although that seems high compared to other Sony campaigns, and really they didn't push GT5 overmuch because they didn't have to.

Sales so far would easily cover that and deliver a ton of profit, never mind the fact that GT5:P and PSP version would also have brought in nice profit for much less cost as well.

You would need an absolute insane clusterfuck of costs for a game with over 7 million units shipped to retail in about a year to not make money.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

The game shipped more than 7 million and people here is trying to proof the game is not profiting???

FACEPALM!

Reasonable said:

Can't believe some of the estimates for GT5 costs here, or the view it might not have made money. Between GT5:P, GT5:PSP and now GT5 PD (and by extension Sony) have seen a huge amount of business.

Total cost for GT5 on it's own I would struggle to believe could have been more than $60 million - I'd need a cast iron link to believe it cost more than that.

Uncharted cost $30 million according to ND including all costs for developing new engine, etc. Gears of War Epic put $10 million to the game although they did exclude a fair bit of engine costs that were absorbed within their overall business, plus I believe they also didn't include costs for some off-shore work.

Modern Warfare I believe is around $60 million an entry - which is high for the size/content of the title - but no doubt is required in terms of having more man-time invloved to crunch the games out faster.

GTIV I believe may have been around $100 million with a ton of staff and a huge amount of content generation - way above what GT5 could have been.

So, unless there is a link showing some crazy costs/mad mantime to produce I struggle to see it costing more than $60 million and could easily see it costing a bit less.

At max say $20 million advertising, although that seems high compared to other Sony campaigns, and really they didn't push GT5 overmuch because they didn't have to.

Sales so far would easily cover that and deliver a ton of profit, never mind the fact that GT5:P and PSP version would also have brought in nice profit for much less cost as well.

You would need an absolute insane clusterfuck of costs for a game with over 7 million units shipped to retail in about a year to not make money.

did you not see my post on why i used a scope that big for cost? even when i did, i still showed the game made more then it cost to make.

it was nothing more then a blind estimate, you know, wind shooting lol. you'll also notice i posted, i knew the game couldn't have cost more then $100m, and put the cost at $80m.

i made the bigger numbers for the crazy people. so would you agree that GT5 made $150m in profit or close? and thamks for the post. it's more informative which is what was needed.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Reasonable said:

did you not see my post on why i used a scope that big for cost? even when i did, i still showed the game made more then it cost to make.

it was nothing more then a blind estimate, you know, wind shooting lol. you'll also notice i posted, i knew the game couldn't have cost more then $100m, and put the cost at $80m.

i made the bigger numbers for the crazy people. so would you agree that GT5 made $150m in profit or close? and thamks for the post. it's more informative which is what was needed.

I wasn't really thinking of you as I could tell you were trying to show costs could be big and it would make a profit.  It just seems some people want to convince themselves GT5 has somehow failed, cost to much, barely made a profit, etc. which is nuts.

The numbers I quote are from various interviews I've read and may not be 100% accurate but I believe are in the right ballpark - as you say they show GT5 simply couldn't have cost that much and must have made decent profit.

I mean, GT5 was no doubt an expensive game - but it's going to sell probably 9 million units or more when all is said and done - it's going to be more than acceptably profitable as a title.

I think I think I missed your detail post as did skip a page or two when I saw how the general tone - I'll check back and read it.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Reasonable said:

I wasn't really thinking of you as I could tell you were trying to show costs could be big and it would make a profit.  It just seems some people want to convince themselves GT5 has somehow failed, cost to much, barely made a profit, etc. which is nuts.

The numbers I quote are from various interviews I've read and may not be 100% accurate but I believe are in the right ballpark - as you say they show GT5 simply couldn't have cost that much and must have made decent profit.

I mean, GT5 was no doubt an expensive game - but it's going to sell probably 9 million units or more when all is said and done - it's going to be more than acceptably profitable as a title.

I think I think I missed your detail post as did skip a page or two when I saw how the general tone - I'll check back and read it.

you're so......... now what's the word i'm looking for? o yea, reasonable lol. thanks again.