By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Gets Other OS Class-Action Lawsuite Dismissed

Karma is a bitch: http://myona.com/2011/12/18/ps-vita-hacked/

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

Around the Network

when you bought the ps3 you paid for the hardware not the service.
same with games, you purchase whats on the disk, the developers have the right to take down servers any time they like.
everyone hates 100000 page t&c's but its all in there.
sony could shut down the whole of psn tomorrow and they wouldnt need to refund a single ps3 system.
sony never said you couldnt use linux....there the ones who gave you the option in the first place.

fps_d0minat0r said:
when you bought the ps3 you paid for the hardware not the service.

Actually, you paid for both. Hence the service contract included with the product (also known as a EULA - the EULA doesn't bind usage of the hardware, it applies to the service).

voty2000 said:
LivingMetal said:
voty2000 said:
LivingMetal said:
voty2000 said:
LivingMetal said:
Persistantthug said:
LivingMetal said:

Dude, I really feel sorry for you.  Your unjustified hatred for a company has blinded you from the joys of gaming.  Take a very close look at my game collection.  There are so many games that have and are being offered on a Sony platform than any reasonable gamer can see that a Sony gaming platform is well its purchase.  But instead, you take this unfounded unproven hated of yours to find reason to love hate over gaming.  Maybe there is a lot of Sony support here because we gamers see the goods, and we want to see them keep bringing out the goods to all of the legit gamers that actually support gaming and not a petty fueled selfish agenda.  You can keep hating on, but the rest of are are going to keep gaming.

This isn't about hate for Sony.

This is about Consumer rights.  Sony was just allowed to go in and violate everyone's rights by taking away shit that they bought, simply because they felt like it.

Wait until it's something you actually want

And I have the right to play a game without the unfairness of hackers exploiting a system that makes it unfair for the mass majority. This helps protect Sony's IP as well as guarding the consumers' right of the majority.  And you know better that it's not "because [Sony] felt like it."  Sony just protected my rights as a consumer as part of the mass majority of PS3 owners.  Yes, the backlash against Sony is unfounded hate whether it's simple ignorance or platant belligerance when failing to see the bigger picture.

Consumer rights are a right, playing online is not a right.  You've made this statement in other threads and it's just wrong.  Playing online is a privileged provided by Sony not a freaking right.  Sony does not have to let you use its online service so it isn't a right.  The US government has to give you free speech so it is a right. 

If you're willing to give up consumer rights so that you don't have to occasionally come across a hacker online then your priorities are just off and terrible for those who actually want as much freedom as they can get.  I will never understand people willing to give the government more power because they don't like the HACKZERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Oohhhhhh...  So maybe installing Linux on the PS3 isn't a consumer right either.  No matter how you cut it, the logic cuts both ways.  Unfortunately, the ones bashing Sony here for their actions are not seeing the bigger picture as I've mentioned now and in other threads.  And you're doing the same by attempting to find "fault" in my statement when with the same logic can be applied to the other side of the argument.  Also if it's so important for some to install Linux on the PS3, maybe their priorities are off as well.  Thanks for pointing that out.  Oh... you didn't.  Go figure why.

All I said was that you stating that playing online is a right is wrong.  Don't care about your opinion on the other stuff and I didn't bring it it.  I just pointed out that that single statement is false and we shouldn't be willing to give up rights so that our lives are more convenient.   

I wouldn't bother arguing with you about the Linux deal and such since you don't even know the difference between right and privilege.

And installing Linux on the PS3 is a right for others?  So what rights are being given up in regard to the context of this thread, and how you YOU justify it as a right?  I exposed your hypocricy.  Stop justifying yourself.  All you're doing is appealing to the chior.

Oh my, my hypocrisy is exposed.  Calling you out about your statement saying that playing online is a right when itss a privilege has exposed me.  I don't care about the rest of the thread.  I've just seen you use that statement before and it's just plain dumb. 

I will play a little though and say that installing Linux is not a right.  But apparently you simply can't pay attention.  Nobody is saying that installing Linux is a right, that is something your making up in your head and if anybody did say that it is right then they are wrong.  They are saying that Sony taking away a feature that was included with the system when they bought it is a violation of rights.  You do this with all Sony and hacking threads.  You ignore what others post and put things in their mouths so the entire argument is them correcting you and it gets nowhere so everyone just gives up and you feel smart. 

You act like you made a point with me and you've missed my entire point.  Go ahead and make more garbage up and make a smug statement so you feel better about yourself.  I'm watching Ernest Scared Crazy with my nephew.

For the record, my statement about playing online as a right was a demonstration of using one's logic against them which I have successfully done.  In fact anyone who personally knows me can testify that I could care less about playing online since I highly favor single player games over multi-player games especially online games.  Persisttantthuge specifically said:

"This is about Consumer rights."

The topic thread was in regards to the Other OS feature which Sony disabled in newer versions of their firmware.  If it a consumer's right to install another OS on the PS3 for their enjoyment, why can it not be consistantly argued that it's also a right to play online without the unfairness of hackers' exploits through "other OS?"  This is my context.  So you have been the one putting words into my mouth and making up garbage by taking things out of context.  Because I said:

"And I have the right to play a game without the unfairness of hackers exploiting a system that makes it unfair for the mass majority..."

I never said I have the right to play online in and of itself.  See.  Big difference here.  And just just because I don't agree with every response in this thread and I have my own response doesn't mean I've ignored and missed points.  So please stop making up garbage and stop being quick to point out people's "fault" (especially ones you've made up) when you turn a blind eye to those who favor your POV when the logic also count against them as well.  I'm sure your nephew will appreciate the positive inflluence.

Damnyouall said:

Funny how these hackers act like there hacking things for "revenge". They would've done it anyway. It's not karma people want to steal games and there going to and if you do anything to try to stop them they label you as someone who takes from consumers and is "bad". 

Everyone knows Sony is in the buisness of making money I don't expect them to send flowers to my house and try to buddy me up. It's the pirates that act like there on the "consumers" side. Like there doing anything other then being cockroach thieves makes them far worse in my eyes. They pretend to be justice and justify there actions.

Console Modders - They are not the same as pirates but when you mod a GAMING console you open the door to pirates and everyone knows it. They try to wash there hands clean by claiming ignorance and I have no room for that either. Your just as guilty you can hide behind w/e reasoning you want but if you know your going to cause harm for little good your just a bad. Opening the door to modding will cause damages to others so lets just not do it. If you don't care what damages you do in your wake why should anyone care about you?

i wish people like Hotz could mod a PS3 and share extra features accross the board but the pirates cause damage and they fuck us the consumers over. He can claim "its my right" all he wants but he knows the damages and he didn't care. I'm glad Sony won. How about this : If we didn't have pirates Sony would've kept OtherOS in. If we didn't have pirates Sony wouldn't care if we modded. 

There are people that dislike this for many reasons. There are legit users of OtherOS and the people that defend them but you have the blame the main reason for this even happening in the first place: PIRATES. They are asshats that only care about themselves and this crap wouldn't happen if they didn't exsist. /end rant

Around the Network
Izo said:
Damnyouall said:

Funny how these hackers act like there hacking things for "revenge". They would've done it anyway. It's not karma people want to steal games and there going to and if you do anything to try to stop them they label you as someone who takes from consumers and is "bad". 

Everyone knows Sony is in the buisness of making money I don't expect them to send flowers to my house and try to buddy me up. It's the pirates that act like there on the "consumers" side. Like there doing anything other then being cockroach thieves makes them far worse in my eyes. They pretend to be justice and justify there actions.

Console Modders - They are not the same as pirates but when you mod a GAMING console you open the door to pirates and everyone knows it. They try to wash there hands clean by claiming ignorance and I have no room for that either. Your just as guilty you can hide behind w/e reasoning you want but if you know your going to cause harm for little good your just a bad. Opening the door to modding will cause damages to others so lets just not do it. If you don't care what damages you do in your wake why should anyone care about you?

i wish people like Hotz could mod a PS3 and share extra features accross the board but the pirates cause damage and they fuck us the consumers over. He can claim "its my right" all he wants but he knows the damages and he didn't care. I'm glad Sony won. How about this : If we didn't have pirates Sony would've kept OtherOS in. If we didn't have pirates Sony wouldn't care if we modded. 

There are people that dislike this for many reasons. There are legit users of OtherOS and the people that defend them but you have the blame the main reason for this even happening in the first place: PIRATES. They are asshats that only care about themselves and this crap wouldn't happen if they didn't exsist. /end rant

The day you justify sacrificing your liberty and freedoms for the sake of convenience for a corporation is the day that you can kiss those freedoms goodbye...

Sony still have every right to pursue pirates over copyright, nobody is stopping them from that. It's just that they should do it not in a way that treads on my personal property rights in the process...

fordy said:
Izo said:
Damnyouall said:

The day you justify sacrificing your liberty and freedoms for the sake of convenience for a corporation is the day that you can kiss those freedoms goodbye...

Sony still have every right to pursue pirates over copyright, nobody is stopping them from that. It's just that they should do it not in a way that treads on my personal property rights in the process...

And what sort of conveniences would that be with the context of this thread?  And I didn't know you owned IP's installed on the PS3.  Care to enlighten us on those IP's?

LivingMetal said:
fordy said:
Izo said:
Damnyouall said:

And what sort of conveniences would that be with the context of this thread?  And I didn't know you owned IP's installed on the PS3.  Care to enlighten us on those IP's?

IP is intelectual property, ie thoughts and ideas and code, not actual items. He would be referring to the physical items that he purchases and how a corporation should not be able to retain control of a physical item that is already purchased and paid for, also known as personal property.

Let's not forget that Sony has to deal with the backlash of consumers for taking away a feature. That's the negative thing they cannot avoid it's just that in this situation most people didn't care whereas if it were the blueray player people would flip.

I'm not defending the convenience of a company although I'm not someone who thinks there all evil and get away with w/e they want. Consumers lose out when crap like this goes down not just Sony. They spend money fighting pirates and they lose software sales to them. They spend less money on the entertainment side and developers have less to make games with and considering how much content Sony's first parties put out it would suck if they couldn't.

There needs to be a balance between consumer and company and that's where laws come in. Take away blueray and Sony would lose the lawsuit.

fordy said:
o_O.Q said:

"Are you implying that the maority of PS3 USERS are pirates? "

this is what i said : 

"the few bad...? you may disagree but i'd say without a doubt that the majority of people that hack their consoles do it solely to pirate games"

how do you get me implying that from that? what you said was completely unrelated

" that gives anyone the right to move their PS3 to ANOTHER online service, one that would better suit them "

i think you lost me completely there

"but it would have been enough to sway some people who were on the fence deciding on a game console."

yeah people that instead of paying attention to the promos and advertisements on the tv, box of the console etc chose instead to pay attention to pr speech...

i've made the point before that if thats how you choose to look at it then, for example, nintendo's declaration for stress sensing tchnology in games via the vitality sensor can also be compared ( from the point of view that someone may be swayed to purchase a console because of the features coming to that console as you said yourself ) but you don't seem to think so...

the reality is that all companies overhype their products in interviews in ways that are at times misleading

Well you're not understanding the broad scope here, which is forcing security on all PS3 users, despite it being the minority exploiting the possibility. Do yourself a favour and read up the meaning of Liberty. What Sony is doing is classed as an attack on Liberty.

Yes well, if you can think in the broader scope, you'd notice that, despite the openness of publishing of third party games on all consoles, you're still stirictly locked on to one particular online service. It's not just Sony who's guilty here, either. PS3 gives you the option of PSN or none. 360 gives you the option of Xbox Live or none. This is one area in which the PC still reigns supreme in, the choice of digital distribution networks. Homebrew opens the door for such possibilities. You don't want to be on a network that allows cheaters? Fine, then pick another network. It would be as simple as that.

The only way that the Wii Vitality sensor would be anything like the OtherOS scandal is if Nintendo released the Vitality sensor, then several months later not only discontinued it, but asked for a recall of all purchased Vitality sensors, with threat that not doing so will result in banning from the Wii shop.  Of course, the Wii Vitality sensor never even made it to market. In fact, it never even got a release date, and no company has to oblige in releasing something they feel is off the mark etc. The difference is, OtherOS was already released. It was a full backpedal.

"you're not understanding the broad scope here"

i would actually say you aren't as the reality is that only a very small minority of ps3 owners used or even knew about other os ( as it wasn't advertised )

"It's not just Sony who's guilty here, either"

exactly thats where you had me confused as no console so far ( to my knowledge ) has allowed the user to move the console between networks

"The only way that the Wii Vitality sensor would be anything like the OtherOS"

from my perspective if you're saying that hyping features like these sways customer interest then both are the same