By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Gets Other OS Class-Action Lawsuite Dismissed

I support both Sony and the legit users suffering damage from this situation. Its unlawful to ask for removal of "other OS" in order to play new games, but please, beside server cluster, the "other OS" users are quite limited. That being said, I highly encourage anyone affected by this situation to ask for a refund of their PS3 system.

But, keep in mind that the removal of PSN/updates isnt a legit demand for compensation. Also, lets not forget that the refund of the price paid for the PS3 at time of purchase would be enough. Lets not blow this out of proportion. Legitimate and reasonable demand could probably be easily worked out outside court with Sony or the retailer. Personally, I would send a formal notice to both Sony and the retailer through registered mail asking for refund of my PS3 upon return of it. But obviously, most want both a monetary compensation as well as keeping their PS3, thats the world were living in...

Basicaly, this situation is being way exagerated. Even if we are talking about legal precedent of company having the "right" to remove functions, its not like they removed a main PS3 function for no legitimate reason.

Around the Network
fordy said:

What a befitting scene for this thread, considering the amount of support Sony is getting here:

Dude, I really feel sorry for you.  Your unjustified hatred for a company has blinded you from the joys of gaming.  Take a very close look at my game collection.  There are so many games that have and are being offered on a Sony platform than any reasonable gamer can see that a Sony gaming platform is well its purchase.  But instead, you take this unfounded unproven hated of yours to find reason to love hate over gaming.  Maybe there is a lot of Sony support here because we gamers see the goods, and we want to see them keep bringing out the goods to all of the legit gamers that actually support gaming and not a petty fueled selfish agenda.  You can keep hating on, but the rest of are are going to keep gaming.

fordy said:

What a befitting scene for this thread, considering the amount of support Sony is getting here:

That scene fits this thread perfectly.

fordy said:
o_O.Q said:

"it WILL be because of it's obligation to maintain backward compatibility with games published under the original key"

maybe, we'll just have to wait and see... this is about 9 months and counting now, for a seemingly simple hack it appears to be taking some time

"I give a critical eye to ALL corporate entities, especially the ones who start to test the bounds of civil rights (including the right to personal property), as well as snake oil techniques, such as taking back things that a buyer has purchased (there is a derogatory term for that, but I refuse to use it)"

it confuses me how people can say things like this then turn a blind eye to what the hackers are doing... then again we're two different people and as a result we can't be expected to see eye to eye on this issue

"such as taking back things that a buyer has purchased"

implying that people were coerced into purchasing their ps3s for linux? even though it wasn't advertised on the box it came in, in any of the tv ads or promos etc?

Once again, assuming that it already hasn't been hacked. If it already has, it's most likely remaining underground in fear of a Sony backlash.

Okay now tell me, what did the hackers do wrong in this situation? You need to relay your hate from the hackers and put it towards piracy in this issue. They have every right to modify their property just as they have as much right to inform others how to with theirs.

I want you to prove to me that there was not one person who listened to either Phil Harrison, or read the article on the Sony website informing of OtherOS capability, and then decided that it would make a perfect, cheap Linux box, for say Samba, Apache or NFS. Heck, even I was almost persuaded, myself! If you can do that, then I would concede that Sony took nothing from anybody.

"They have every right to modify their property"

true but they have no right to aquiring content for free and disturbing the activities of others, two things which they have demonstrated on several occasions that they hold no reservations about and no one should have to suffer from their activities

"I want you to prove..."

i can't but to call that advertising in this context is absurd imo

"it would make a perfect, cheap Linux box"

$600 dollars for a device to run linux is cheap? what would you usually pay on a pc for linux?

LivingMetal said:
fordy said:

Dude, I really feel sorry for you.  Your unjustified hatred for a company has blinded you from the joys of gaming.  Take a very close look at my game collection.  There are so many games that have and are being offered on a Sony platform than any reasonable gamer can see that a Sony gaming platform is well its purchase.  But instead, you take this unfounded unproven hated of yours to find reason to love hate over gaming.  Maybe there is a lot of Sony support here because we gamers see the goods, and we want to see them keep bringing out the goods to all of the legit gamers that actually support gaming and not a petty fueled selfish agenda.  You can keep hating on, but the rest of are are going to keep gaming.

He's posted facts and the honest truth and the best you guys can come up to argue with him is to attack him on his "ethics", which might I add your post shows you dont give a shit about gamers like me that got screwed over so I'd hardy call you the model gamer either.  I would say any hate is neither unfounded or unproven when it comes to the issue of Sony breaching consumer rights.

Around the Network

TIME TO PARTY

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

LivingMetal said:
fordy said:

Can you tell me first of all, how are you able to game? It's not a hypothetical. Is it because you, for instance, live in a free country? Now, how do you believe your country remains free? I'll give you a hint. Thomas Jefferson said it best when he said "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance". In other words, if you take your perks for granted, one day, you'll find them gone.

I like games too, but you need to understand, you cannot pardon a company for testing the bounds of liberty and personal property rights just because they entertain you. You need to praise them for the good and criticise the bad. If you don't that's when you're no longer a gamer, just a fanboy.

I'm a Nintendo fan, but I have plenty to say about their practises, too. Read my thread history. I've started two rants on their conduct referring to 3DS design. If Nintendo pulled something similar to Sony, I'd hit them just as hard.

We have a saying in my country. It's called "keeping the bastards honest". Now, you might look down at me at being somehow less of a gamer than you for bringing this up, but let me ask you, which one of us is REALLY doing the greater benefit towards the gaming community?

o_O.Q said:

"They have every right to modify their property"

true but they have no right to aquiring content for free and disturbing the activities of others, two things which they have demonstrated on several occasions that they hold no reservations about and no one should have to suffer from their activities

"I want you to prove..."

i can't but to call that advertising in this context is absurd imo

"it would make a perfect, cheap Linux box"

$600 dollars for a device to run linux is cheap? what would you usually pay on a pc for linux?

I agree. Piracy is bad, but punishing those who have no intention of piracy is just as bad. Where is the justification for control over hardware purchased by somebody else, in order to control the few bad eggs? There's been a lot of shooting sprees over there lately, should you take all the guns away in response? If it were government, many would accuse it of being this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanny_state

...and when it's a multinational conglomerate, in many ways it's much worse. This is no different to Sony's rootkit scandal. Hidden rootkits were placed on a user's computer in order to track how they were using their music disc. In other words, punishing all in order to subdue the few...

$599 was the original price. I believe there were one or two price cuts before the Slim model came out, too. People were still looking at it as a game system/media player, probably just like the Xbox 360. Who is to say that Sony's decision to include Linux capability was enough to sway those who were "sitting on the fence" into Sony's court?

LivingMetal said:

This isn't about hate for Sony.

This is about Consumer rights.  Sony was just allowed to go in and violate everyone's rights by taking away shit that they bought, simply because they felt like it.

Wait until it's something you actually want

slowmo said:
LivingMetal said:
fordy said:

He's posted facts and the honest truth and the best you guys can come up to argue with him is to attack him on his "ethics", which might I add your post shows you dont give a shit about gamers like me that got screwed over so I'd hardy call you the model gamer either.  I would say any hate is neither unfounded or unproven when it comes to the issue of Sony breaching consumer rights.

He posted fact, but he didn't posted honest truth since the facts he provided did NOT proved his point.