By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The heck, PS3 DMC4 requires 25 min hard drive installation?!

Girl Gamer Elite said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
I see some more completely unbiased posts coming from GGE as usual

/Sarcasm

So do you post anything relevant to discussion on the forum or is making cowardly attacks that dodge the issue at hand your only niche here? What? You can't think of anyway to actually defend the PS3 in this topic so you attack the easiest target instead? Brilliant.

25 minute install time = Not that big a deal

Filling up your harddrive and having to delete and or reinstall games to play them = Big deal!

Call it biased all you want I think you'll find anyone not with a reason to put the PS3 on the pedistal of perfection will agree this is a worrisome inconvenience. You don't have to be a Nintendo/MS fanboy to appreciate the "Oh-Shit" implications of this problem.

Yeah i agree that 25min install time is a pain, but its by no means the end all that you seem to be assuming. You say that people want the PS3 to be on the pedistal of perfecton, it by no means should be, but i'm sure you think that your beloved Wii should be up on that sparkly pedistal though...

So biased, its unbelieveable!

And tell me, why are you so afraid to address the problem with filling up the Hard Drive with such games? That's the real problem here, not the 25 minute load time.

Also, when did I say anything about Wii in all of this. It would seem the bias lies not on my shoulders here.

Filling up the HDD or flash memory is an issue that applies to all current consoles, it's nothing just isolated to the PS3.

Anyways I would have assumed that people know how to manage their available free space, it's just a common thing to do when running low on HDD space on your PC, so really this should be a non issue for most since they should already be use to it from the PC side.

Around the Network
Troll_Monster said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Squall_Leonhart said:

/Sarcasm

So do you post anything relevant to discussion on the forum or is making cowardly attacks that dodge the issue at hand your only niche here? What? You can't think of anyway to actually defend the PS3 in this topic so you attack the easiest target instead? Brilliant.

Filling up your harddrive and having to delete and or reinstall games to play them = Big deal!

Call it biased all you want I think you'll find anyone not with a reason to put the PS3 on the pedistal of perfection will agree this is a worrisome inconvenience. You don't have to be a Nintendo/MS fanboy to appreciate the "Oh-Shit" implications of this problem.

Yeah i agree that 25min install time is a pain, but its by no means the end all that you seem to be assuming. You say that people want the PS3 to be on the pedistal of perfecton, it by no means should be, but i'm sure you think that your beloved Wii should be up on that sparkly pedistal though...

And tell me, why are you so afraid to address the problem with filling up the Hard Drive with such games? That's the real problem here, not the 25 minute load time.

Also, when did I say anything about Wii in all of this. It would seem the bias lies not on my shoulders here.

Filling up the HDD or flash memory is an issue that applies to all current consoles, it's nothing just isolated to the PS3.

Anyways I would have assumed that people know how to manage their available free space, it's just a common thing to do when running low on HDD space on your PC, so really this should be a non issue for most since they should already be use to it from the PC side.

Nice dodge, but it won't work. The Wii has limited space but that's not a problem for gaming alone and an SD card is nothing compared to buying a new HDD. The 360 only has issues with limited space if you fill it up with non-gaming media or other crap making it a moot factor in this debate altogether.

The PS3 is an issue because simply to play the game you'll be filling up large amounts of hard drive space which, if this trend in PS3 games continues, will force you to reach either a very expensive or very inconvenient resolution where as with the Wii or 360 there is no such ultimatum. Sorry you can't side step this problem. The most anyone can hope for is that there aren't too many more games like this comming out for the PS3.

Girl Gamer Elite said:
Troll_Monster said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Squall_Leonhart said:

/Sarcasm

Nice dodge, but it won't work. The Wii has limited space but that's not a problem for gaming alone and an SD card is nothing compared to buying a new HDD. The 360 only has issues with limited space if you fill it up with non-gaming media or other crap making it a moot factor in this debate altogether.

The PS3 is an issue because simply to play the game you'll be filling up large amounts of hard drive space, which if this trend in PS3 games continues, will force you to find an inconvenient resolution where as with the Wii or 360 there is no such ultimatum. Sorry you can't side step this problem. The most anyone can hope for is that there aren't too many more games like this comming out for the PS3.

How hard is it to delete a previous game you've installed?

I mean once your done with the game, uninstall it and install the new game if it's required, it's not rocket science you know, also the PS3 HDD can be easily upgraded with any laptop HDD. So if you want to keep all the installed files then get a bigger HDD, and if you don't want to upgrade the HDD then just remove previous installed files, 2 options right there and both easy to do. 

Troll_Monster said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Troll_Monster said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Squall_Leonhart said:

/Sarcasm

The PS3 is an issue because simply to play the game you'll be filling up large amounts of hard drive space, which if this trend in PS3 games continues, will force you to find an inconvenient resolution where as with the Wii or 360 there is no such ultimatum. Sorry you can't side step this problem. The most anyone can hope for is that there aren't too many more games like this comming out for the PS3.

I mean once your done with the game, uninstall it and install the new game if it's required, it's not rocket science you know, also the PS3 HDD can be easily upgraded with any laptop HDD. So if you want to keep all the installed files then get a bigger HDD, and if you don't want to upgrade the HDD then just remove previous installed files, 2 options right there and both easy to do. 

Easy you say? "EASY" would appear to be a rather relative term from your position

The argument was not that there was no resolution what-so-ever for this dillemma but that there was not an acceptable one, Easy, or not.

Deleting and reinstalling games is a major inconvenience no matter how you slice it. People didn't buy a PC, they bought a home console. This solution is only as easy as you are patient. And trust me, most gamers aren't.

And Hard Drives are not cheap making them as well another problematic solution. And how many Hard Drives would you have to buy to accomodate even a modest PS3 library? This solution is only as easy as your pocket book is big.

The only person these solutions are "EASY" for is the person making excuses for the PS3 in this discussion. You.

*SIGH* I KNEW this would happen as soon as the XBOX was released I said as much.

Around the Network
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Troll_Monster said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Troll_Monster said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Squall_Leonhart said:

/Sarcasm

Easy you say? "EASY" would appear to be a rather relative term from your position

The argument was not that there was no resolution what-so-ever for this dillemma but that there was not an acceptable one, Easy, or not.

Deleting and reinstalling games is a major inconvenience no matter how you slice it. People didn't buy a PC, they bought a home console. This solution is only as easy as you are patient.

And Hard Drives are not cheap making them as well another problematic solution. And how many Hard Drives would you have to buy to accomodate even a modest PS3 library? This solution is only as easy as your pocket book is big.

The only person these solutions are "EASY" for is the person making excuses for the PS3 in this discussion.

look the only reason I say it's easy is because I already do what I suggested on my PC, I don't see it a a problem at all, it just seems like your nit picking for the sakes of it.

Also, if you don't want a PS3, and judging by your post history you don't, why is this even important to you? 

Well, extrapolate the trend. If you have to install and uninstall this game 4 times, thats an hour and forty minutes waiting to play just this game.

Not multiply that by however many games you have to do this for.

Granted this is the worst case (Completely filled HDD) but if the trend continues in this direction, that is where it will end up.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X
Troll_Monster said:

It's not hard to delete a game you've installed, it's just very inconvenient and abnormal for a console.

Upgrading to a bigger HDD is too, as well as being very expensive.

Both of your solutions are fine if you have the money and patience/experience with managing program installations I guess, but they also are both undesirable in the console world. I know that I personally like to have the option to just play any of the games I own at any moment I want. Spurs of the moment.

CrashMan said:
Well, extrapolate the trend. If you have to install and uninstall this game 4 times, thats an hour and forty minutes waiting to play just this game.

Not multiply that by however many games you have to do this for.

Granted this is the worst case (Completely filled HDD) but if the trend continues in this direction, that is where it will end up.

that is one bad case scenario, but one would assume that once installed you would play the game till you beat it or got bored with it, in which case you'll buy a new game and install it if required and then play it till you get bored.

In anycase people posting seem to look at just the negatives, so how about looking at what installing the file actually brings, like no loading screens when actually playing the game, so the game flow won't be disrupted. 

Troll_Monster said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Troll_Monster said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Troll_Monster said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Squall_Leonhart said:

/Sarcasm

The argument was not that there was no resolution what-so-ever for this dillemma but that there was not an acceptable one, Easy, or not.

Deleting and reinstalling games is a major inconvenience no matter how you slice it. People didn't buy a PC, they bought a home console. This solution is only as easy as you are patient.

The only person these solutions are "EASY" for is the person making excuses for the PS3 in this discussion.

look the only reason I say it's easy is because I already do what I suggested on my PC, I don't see it a a problem at all, it just seems like your nit picking for the sakes of it.

Also, if you don't want a PS3, and judging by your post history you don't, why is this even important to you? 

What's acceptable for you was never the issue in this thread and most people don't buy consoles as PCs, I'm sorry.

Nitpicking or not, this is a real issue and if the only excuse you can offer is, "Well I'm a PC gamer and already do that so there should be no problem for anyone else." Then I think its clear you know you've not a good foot to stand on in this debate. Not to mention having to end your reply with an evasive "dodging-the-point" attack on me. That's always a sign of confidence and not cowardice.

Why does it matter to me? Why not ask that question of any person who has a negative comment about a console they've no plan of ever owning? Though I'm glad to be the first.

Why does it matter to me? Perhaps I don't care for this trend in console gaming and don't want people pretending like this isn't a major issue when in fact it is. Maybe I would like to see people own up to their console's flaws instead of dismissing them as trivial. Perhaps I'm a member on this forum who is free to participate in any thread I so choose.

The real quesiton is why should I have to answer anything extraneous to this discussion when you can't even provide a realistic answer for the topic at hand?