By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The heck, PS3 DMC4 requires 25 min hard drive installation?!

I'm still trying to figure out why someone who is so negatively positioned against the PS3 is trying to form an opinion about something he/she really doesn't care to know anything about.

The PS3 can take any laptop drive out there if anyone desires more space, and since the 500GB are hitting the market 5GB is just a drop in the bucket. SURE some people dont want to upgrade or dont care too, but any PS3 owner can tell you that deleting the system data for unused or unplayed games is no big deal at all. Why?

1) unused space is wasted space. Delete it and voila you can open up room.

2) Deleting the system data doesn't delete the saved data for any game on the PS3. So, removing the system data doesn't ruin your stats or progress.

3) most of the heavy space that fills a PS3 is most assuredly -demos- and those are always available for download again. Delete them at your leisure.

SO! It seems to me that really the only people that have a problem with this 5GB install are people -without- a PS3. Kinda strange dont you think?

Ask me how to turn a Rottweiler in to a Dodongo and I'll tell you the story of a lifetime.

Around the Network
Girl Gamer Elite said:

What's acceptable for you was never the issue in this thread and most people don't buy consoles as PCs, I'm sorry.

Nitpicking or not, this is a real issue and if the only excuse you can offer is, "Well I'm a PC gamer and already do that so there should be no problem for anyone else." Then I think its clear you know you've not a good foot to stand on in this debate. Not to mention having to end your reply with an evasive "dodging-the-point" attack on me. That's always a sign of confidence and not cowardice.

Why does it matter to me? Why not ask that question of any person who has a negative comment about a console they've no plan of ever owning? Though I'm glad to be the first.

Why does it matter to me? Perhaps I don't care for this trend in console gaming and don't want people pretending like this isn't a major issue when in fact it is. Maybe I would like to see people own up to their console's flaws instead of dismissing them as trivial. Perhaps I'm a member on this forum who is free to participate in any thread I so choose.

The real quesiton is why should I have to answer anything extraneous to this discussion when you can't even provide a realistic answer for the topic at hand?

When there will be more games beating PS3 owners like Capcom is doing with DMC4, then I will go enter the trenches with you and lob grenades, but until then, take a pill.

Nth said:
I'm still trying to figure out why someone who is so negatively positioned against the PS3 is trying to form an opinion about something he/she really doesn't care to know anything about.

The PS3 can take any laptop drive out there if anyone desires more space, and since the 500GB are hitting the market 5GB is just a drop in the bucket. SURE some people dont want to upgrade or dont care too, but any PS3 owner can tell you that deleting the system data for unused or unplayed games is no big deal at all. Why?

2) Deleting the system data doesn't delete the saved data for any game on the PS3. So, removing the system data doesn't ruin your stats or progress.

3) most of the heavy space that fills a PS3 is most assuredly -demos- and those are always available for download again. Delete them at your leisure.

SO! It seems to me that really the only people that have a problem with this 5GB install are people -without- a PS3. Kinda strange dont you think?

QFT!!!

In addition the game data and save files are separate so you can delete the game data and install another game and when you want to go back to playing the original game you repeat this process and you don't have to start over because you have the save files.

Also you gotta consider the fact that installing a game will save you more time in the long run assuming that you will actually play the game and try to finish it. All those 10-15 secs load times add up.

Nth said:

That's a convenient means of dodging the issue. "It doesn't bother me and the three other PS3 owners in this thread, so its not a problem."

You see the problem here isn't whether or not this bothers pre-existing PS3 owners, but how this will affect the appeal of the PS3 for people who would have considered buying one in the future. And that's the real issue here. Though I'm sure you'll tell yourself that only people who would have never bought one in the first place find this to be troubling, I'm sure you know deep down inside that's a damned lie.

Around the Network
Troll_Monster said:

that is one bad case scenario, but one would assume that once installed you would play the game till you beat it or got bored with it, in which case you'll buy a new game and install it if required and then play it till you get bored.

In anycase people posting seem to look at just the negatives, so how about looking at what installing the file actually brings, like no loading screens when actually playing the game, so the game flow won't be disrupted.

I do think it's a good reason to not have loading times within the game of course, I don't think it's all negative. Unfortunately, I do remember playing an awesome game series called Metroid Prime. One big world. No loading time, ever. Oh, and no installation. There must be a way for DMC to achieve that as well.

Great post Nth, it's good to see someone pointing out facts from experience :)

Girl Gamer Elite said:
Troll_Monster said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Troll_Monster said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Troll_Monster said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
I see some more completely unbiased posts coming from GGE as usual

/Sarcasm

So do you post anything relevant to discussion on the forum or is making cowardly attacks that dodge the issue at hand your only niche here? What? You can't think of anyway to actually defend the PS3 in this topic so you attack the easiest target instead? Brilliant.

25 minute install time = Not that big a deal

Filling up your harddrive and having to delete and or reinstall games to play them = Big deal!

Call it biased all you want I think you'll find anyone not with a reason to put the PS3 on the pedistal of perfection will agree this is a worrisome inconvenience. You don't have to be a Nintendo/MS fanboy to appreciate the "Oh-Shit" implications of this problem.

Yeah i agree that 25min install time is a pain, but its by no means the end all that you seem to be assuming. You say that people want the PS3 to be on the pedistal of perfecton, it by no means should be, but i'm sure you think that your beloved Wii should be up on that sparkly pedistal though...

So biased, its unbelieveable!

And tell me, why are you so afraid to address the problem with filling up the Hard Drive with such games? That's the real problem here, not the 25 minute load time.

Also, when did I say anything about Wii in all of this. It would seem the bias lies not on my shoulders here.

Filling up the HDD or flash memory is an issue that applies to all current consoles, it's nothing just isolated to the PS3.

Anyways I would have assumed that people know how to manage their available free space, it's just a common thing to do when running low on HDD space on your PC, so really this should be a non issue for most since they should already be use to it from the PC side.

Nice dodge, but it won't work. The Wii has limited space but that's not a problem for gaming alone and an SD card is nothing compared to buying a new HDD. The 360 only has issues with limited space if you fill it up with non-gaming media or other crap making it a moot factor in this debate altogether.

The PS3 is an issue because simply to play the game you'll be filling up large amounts of hard drive space, which if this trend in PS3 games continues, will force you to find an inconvenient resolution where as with the Wii or 360 there is no such ultimatum. Sorry you can't side step this problem. The most anyone can hope for is that there aren't too many more games like this comming out for the PS3.

How hard is it to delete a previous game you've installed?

I mean once your done with the game, uninstall it and install the new game if it's required, it's not rocket science you know, also the PS3 HDD can be easily upgraded with any laptop HDD. So if you want to keep all the installed files then get a bigger HDD, and if you don't want to upgrade the HDD then just remove previous installed files, 2 options right there and both easy to do.

Easy you say? "EASY" would appear to be a rather relative term from your position

The argument was not that there was no resolution what-so-ever for this dillemma but that there was not an acceptable one, Easy, or not.

Deleting and reinstalling games is a major inconvenience no matter how you slice it. People didn't buy a PC, they bought a home console. This solution is only as easy as you are patient.

And Hard Drives are not cheap making them as well another problematic solution. And how many Hard Drives would you have to buy to accomodate even a modest PS3 library? This solution is only as easy as your pocket book is big.

The only person these solutions are "EASY" for is the person making excuses for the PS3 in this discussion.

look the only reason I say it's easy is because I already do what I suggested on my PC, I don't see it a a problem at all, it just seems like your nit picking for the sakes of it.

Also, if you don't want a PS3, and judging by your post history you don't, why is this even important to you?

What's acceptable for you was never the issue in this thread and most people don't buy consoles as PCs, I'm sorry.

Nitpicking or not, this is a real issue and if the only excuse you can offer is, "Well I'm a PC gamer and already do that so there should be no problem for anyone else." Then I think its clear you know you've not a good foot to stand on in this debate. Not to mention having to end your reply with an evasive "dodging-the-point" attack on me. That's always a sign of confidence and not cowardice.

Why does it matter to me? Why not ask that question of any person who has a negative comment about a console they've no plan of ever owning? Though I'm glad to be the first.

Why does it matter to me? Perhaps I don't care for this trend in console gaming and don't want people pretending like this isn't a major issue when in fact it is. Maybe I would like to see people own up to their console's flaws instead of dismissing them as trivial. Perhaps I'm a member on this forum who is free to participate in any thread I so choose.

The real quesiton is why should I have to answer anything extraneous to this discussion when you can't even provide a realistic answer for the topic at hand?

I can't be F@#ked readying your rant, however I will ask you this, do you see any benifit from the 5GB install?

And in the end, the PS3 fanboys are ones running to the defense of the PS3 on this issue, what a surprise. And what else would we expect but them to not only try and play down the severity of this issue but act as if it is someone else's problem.

You may ask yourself what PS3 owner has a problem with this situation, but the real question you should be asking is what person who isn't already in love with the PS3 actually thinks this is okay?

Troll_Monster said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Troll_Monster said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Troll_Monster said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Troll_Monster said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
I see some more completely unbiased posts coming from GGE as usual

/Sarcasm

So do you post anything relevant to discussion on the forum or is making cowardly attacks that dodge the issue at hand your only niche here? What? You can't think of anyway to actually defend the PS3 in this topic so you attack the easiest target instead? Brilliant.

25 minute install time = Not that big a deal

Filling up your harddrive and having to delete and or reinstall games to play them = Big deal!

Call it biased all you want I think you'll find anyone not with a reason to put the PS3 on the pedistal of perfection will agree this is a worrisome inconvenience. You don't have to be a Nintendo/MS fanboy to appreciate the "Oh-Shit" implications of this problem.

Yeah i agree that 25min install time is a pain, but its by no means the end all that you seem to be assuming. You say that people want the PS3 to be on the pedistal of perfecton, it by no means should be, but i'm sure you think that your beloved Wii should be up on that sparkly pedistal though...

So biased, its unbelieveable!

And tell me, why are you so afraid to address the problem with filling up the Hard Drive with such games? That's the real problem here, not the 25 minute load time.

Also, when did I say anything about Wii in all of this. It would seem the bias lies not on my shoulders here.

Filling up the HDD or flash memory is an issue that applies to all current consoles, it's nothing just isolated to the PS3.

Anyways I would have assumed that people know how to manage their available free space, it's just a common thing to do when running low on HDD space on your PC, so really this should be a non issue for most since they should already be use to it from the PC side.

Nice dodge, but it won't work. The Wii has limited space but that's not a problem for gaming alone and an SD card is nothing compared to buying a new HDD. The 360 only has issues with limited space if you fill it up with non-gaming media or other crap making it a moot factor in this debate altogether.

The PS3 is an issue because simply to play the game you'll be filling up large amounts of hard drive space, which if this trend in PS3 games continues, will force you to find an inconvenient resolution where as with the Wii or 360 there is no such ultimatum. Sorry you can't side step this problem. The most anyone can hope for is that there aren't too many more games like this comming out for the PS3.

How hard is it to delete a previous game you've installed?

I mean once your done with the game, uninstall it and install the new game if it's required, it's not rocket science you know, also the PS3 HDD can be easily upgraded with any laptop HDD. So if you want to keep all the installed files then get a bigger HDD, and if you don't want to upgrade the HDD then just remove previous installed files, 2 options right there and both easy to do.

Easy you say? "EASY" would appear to be a rather relative term from your position

The argument was not that there was no resolution what-so-ever for this dillemma but that there was not an acceptable one, Easy, or not.

Deleting and reinstalling games is a major inconvenience no matter how you slice it. People didn't buy a PC, they bought a home console. This solution is only as easy as you are patient.

And Hard Drives are not cheap making them as well another problematic solution. And how many Hard Drives would you have to buy to accomodate even a modest PS3 library? This solution is only as easy as your pocket book is big.

The only person these solutions are "EASY" for is the person making excuses for the PS3 in this discussion.

look the only reason I say it's easy is because I already do what I suggested on my PC, I don't see it a a problem at all, it just seems like your nit picking for the sakes of it.

Also, if you don't want a PS3, and judging by your post history you don't, why is this even important to you?

What's acceptable for you was never the issue in this thread and most people don't buy consoles as PCs, I'm sorry.

Nitpicking or not, this is a real issue and if the only excuse you can offer is, "Well I'm a PC gamer and already do that so there should be no problem for anyone else." Then I think its clear you know you've not a good foot to stand on in this debate. Not to mention having to end your reply with an evasive "dodging-the-point" attack on me. That's always a sign of confidence and not cowardice.

The real quesiton is why should I have to answer anything extraneous to this discussion when you can't even provide a realistic answer for the topic at hand?

I can't be F@#ked readying your rant, however I will ask you this, do you see any benifit from the 5GB install?

Not one that outweighs the disadvantages.

I guess when the facts aren't on your side, cop outs and cheerleading other like minded individuals is all that's left in your arsenal. I dont' mean to be rude, but seriously, you've offered nothing of value to adress the severity of this issue. All you've done is suggested your own PC philosophy of console gaming as the norm (which it isn't) and then tried to turn the topic back on me as if I'm the one with any burden of proof to meet.