By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The heck, PS3 DMC4 requires 25 min hard drive installation?!

DMeisterJ said:
@ NJ5

Oh, that makes sense. But since you can swap hard drives, or use an external one to save, when I get mine, I'm gonna use a 500GB external one I had for my comp that my dad bought me but I hardly use to store downloads if need be, and I am gonna upgrade it to 250GB internally (Didn't a company come out with like a 350 or 400 gb 2.5" one recently? I think I remember reading it somewhere, maybe at CES?)

You seriously think that is a good solution? Don't get me wrong, I hardly think this is a major problem but buying a new hard drive is more than a little too expensive to keep playing your old games. If you are going to sell a console as a game platform, it should come with enough hardware to play a lot of games. Requiring an instal is added aggravation for people like me who randomly want to play a game for 5 minutes every few months. It really should be optional.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
I see some more completely unbiased posts coming from GGE as usual

/Sarcasm

So do you post anything relevant to discussion on the forum or is making cowardly attacks that dodge the issue at hand your only niche here? What? You can't think of anyway to actually defend the PS3 in this topic so you attack the easiest target instead? Brilliant.

25 minute install time = Not that big a deal

Filling up your harddrive and having to delete and or reinstall games to play them = Big deal!

Call it biased all you want I think you'll find anyone not with a reason to put the PS3 on the pedistal of perfection will agree this is a worrisome inconvenience. You don't have to be a Nintendo/MS fanboy to appreciate the "Oh-Shit" implications of this problem.

Yeah i agree that 25min install time is a pain, but its by no means the end all that you seem to be assuming. You say that people want the PS3 to be on the pedistal of perfecton, it by no means should be, but i'm sure you think that your beloved Wii should be up on that sparkly pedistal though...

So biased, its unbelieveable! 

Uh, did she mention Wii? How can your implied reading of what she said indicate that SHE is biased?

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X
Gnizmo said:
DMeisterJ said:
@ NJ5

Oh, that makes sense. But since you can swap hard drives, or use an external one to save, when I get mine, I'm gonna use a 500GB external one I had for my comp that my dad bought me but I hardly use to store downloads if need be, and I am gonna upgrade it to 250GB internally (Didn't a company come out with like a 350 or 400 gb 2.5" one recently? I think I remember reading it somewhere, maybe at CES?)

You seriously think that is a good solution? Don't get me wrong, I hardly think this is a major problem but buying a new hard drive is more than a little too expensive to keep playing your old games. If you are going to sell a console as a game platform, it should come with enough hardware to play a lot of games. Requiring an instal is added aggravation for people like me who randomly want to play a game for 5 minutes every few months. It really should be optional.

yet microsoft comes out with an elite and a 179 dollar HD and no one complains. and you can get a 250 gig HD for ps3 for less then 150. i am TOTALY down for downloading ALL my games to the HD so i can have a better play time. xbox loads like crazy just because it does not use the HD. GO capcom!!

"Requiring an instal is added aggravation for people like me who randomly want to play a game for 5 minutes every few months. "

I really don't think that Devil May Cry is a game that fits to that description. I would say this is a very very rare usecase and would ignore it as developer.

This is different for Racers, Fighters etc. of course. For them a huge install would be annoying.

Around the Network

I always wondered why noone complained about the pricing of the HDD's for the 360, i mean here in the UK it's still £69.99 for the 20GB one... Thats shockingly bad!! The 120GB isn't much better being over £100 iself...

Dno said:
Gnizmo said:
DMeisterJ said:
@ NJ5

yet microsoft comes out with an elite and a 179 dollar HD and no one complains. and you can get a 250 gig HD for ps3 for less then 150. i am TOTALY down for downloading ALL my games to the HD so i can have a better play time. xbox loads like crazy just because it does not use the HD. GO capcom!!

In what world did no one complain about that? The stupid proprietary hard drive the 360 uses has been a source of thousands, if not millions of complaints. And how exactly do you know how often the 360 version of DMC4 loads? Oh that is right, you are just spewing fanboy nonsense.

Uh, did she mention Wii? How can your implied reading of what she said indicate that SHE is biased?

If you spend 3 minutes on the forums you know GGE is the worst Wii troll on here. It is easily safe to assume that if she is criticising something that it is because the Wii does it differently. It is also blatantly obvious she is just hating the idea because the PS3 is the first to do it. Installing games as a concept is almost as old as the industry itself.

Squall_Leonhart said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
I see some more completely unbiased posts coming from GGE as usual

/Sarcasm

So do you post anything relevant to discussion on the forum or is making cowardly attacks that dodge the issue at hand your only niche here? What? You can't think of anyway to actually defend the PS3 in this topic so you attack the easiest target instead? Brilliant.

25 minute install time = Not that big a deal

Filling up your harddrive and having to delete and or reinstall games to play them = Big deal!

Call it biased all you want I think you'll find anyone not with a reason to put the PS3 on the pedistal of perfection will agree this is a worrisome inconvenience. You don't have to be a Nintendo/MS fanboy to appreciate the "Oh-Shit" implications of this problem.

Yeah i agree that 25min install time is a pain, but its by no means the end all that you seem to be assuming. You say that people want the PS3 to be on the pedistal of perfecton, it by no means should be, but i'm sure you think that your beloved Wii should be up on that sparkly pedistal though...

So biased, its unbelieveable! 

And tell me, why are you so afraid to address the problem with filling up the Hard Drive with such games? That's the real problem here, not the 25 minute load time.

Also, when did I say anything about Wii in all of this. It would seem the bias lies not on my shoulders here.

Maybe people would be complaining about the price of 360 Harddrives if the 360 required you to install games on the system like the PS3 does. But true to form you all ignore the issue at hand here, challenging an extraneous facet of the discussion completely out of context of the question why an extra Harddrive would be needed in the first place.

The Price of HDDs or high GB HDD SKUs for the 360 isn't a problem because you're not forced to buy them as a possible solution to filling up your HDD with game install files.

Kyros said:
"Requiring an instal is added aggravation for people like me who randomly want to play a game for 5 minutes every few months. "

I really don't think that Devil May Cry is a game that fits to that description. I would say this is a very very rare usecase and would ignore it as developer.

This is different for Racers, Fighters etc. of course. For them a huge install would be annoying.

I am a rare breed of gamer, I will admit. However, not pleasing everyone possible is a bad move in general. Not pleasing everyone because it costs too much is a good move though. I can't imagine it would take a ton of extra testing to flesh out a non-instal version of the game. Esepcially considering the fact that they have to make a version like that regardless. I concede though that this an ok genre to require an install.