By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The heck, PS3 DMC4 requires 25 min hard drive installation?!

"1- Why isn't installation optional?"

Easy, if every console has a hard-disc and it gives you a significant boost you will use it because otherwise you would have to do a complete testing of the non-HD install which means you will have to go through every damn scene of the game and see to it that the resource loading doesn't result in framerate drops, long load times, etc. pp.

"2- Why is installation not allowed on the 360 (with the condition of having a HDD installed of course)?"

Equally easy if NOT every console has a HD you have to make your program run decently on a non-HD console anyway. If you did this, programming a version that uses HD will be extra effort without much return on investment.

Around the Network
Bladeneo said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Welcome to the wonderful world of Blu-Ray gaming! Why have the convenience of plug-n-play when you can have more space I suppose the saying now goes. Oh well, I'm sure a one time installation isn't so bad.

So, one game requires a large installation and suddenly it becomes the norm of Blu-Ray games? Im much happier installing data that can be easily removed if I dont play the game anymore if it means I dont have to sit through a blank loading screen every 5 minutes or so.

Spiderman 3

Expect more games like this in the future.

@ GGE

But is that so bad? I wouldn't mind spending half an hour at one time, to never have load times? Am I the only one who doesn't see this as a big deal? I mean, I'll end up with the 360 one cuz I don't have a PS3, but if I had the choice to spend twenty five minutes so I wouldn't have any load times in the game, I'd take it. It'd more than be made up by the end of the game. I welcome this. If it was optional it'd be better, so I could jump right into the game, but I don't mind waiting a few minutes to play a game. I had to wait an hour before I could play FFXI on my XBOX 360. You know what I did during that, something else. Not a big deal to me.

@ Fuzzmosis )

I always wonder how people can be so angry about things ,that don't even affect them personally .. a real mystery.

For PS3 gamers, the problem I see with this is that if this starts happening with many games, they'll soon have to keep deleting and reinstalling games whenever they feel like playing a game they haven't touched for some time. Companies should refrain from making this kind of installation mandatory, it could become quite annoying (especially if each installation takes 25 minutes).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

@ NJ5

Oh, that makes sense. But since you can swap hard drives, or use an external one to save, when I get mine, I'm gonna use a 500GB external one I had for my comp that my dad bought me but I hardly use to store downloads if need be, and I am gonna upgrade it to 250GB internally (Didn't a company come out with like a 350 or 400 gb 2.5" one recently? I think I remember reading it somewhere, maybe at CES?)

Dmeisterj, do you hear yourself? Does that actually sound like a convenience? Switching Harddrives? Do you not see the problem this is becoming? Dear god where does it end?

I think the people with the sarcastic comments saying "Oh No! Not 25 mins!" are missing the long term implication of this type of thinking.

I am sure I am not the only one who has seen this trend start lat gen with the XBox moving toward PC-esque game consoles. Soon these consoles will just be low end PCs (though in my opinion they are almost that already) with TV video outs and proprietary controllers.

Consoles are supposed to (at least in my opinion) be special purpose hardware designed to implement gaming efficiently. They should not be general computing machines, we all have PCs for that.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X

I see some more completely unbiased posts coming from GGE as usual

/Sarcasm

Squall_Leonhart said:
I see some more completely unbiased posts coming from GGE as usual

/Sarcasm

So do you post anything relevant to discussion on the forum or is making cowardly attacks that dodge the issue at hand your only niche here? What? You can't think of anyway to actually defend the PS3 in this topic so you attack the easiest target instead? Brilliant.

25 minute install time = Not that big a deal

Filling up your harddrive and having to delete and or reinstall games to play them = Big deal!

Call it biased all you want I think you'll find anyone not with a reason to put the PS3 on the pedistal of perfection will agree this is a worrisome inconvenience. You don't have to be a Nintendo/MS fanboy to appreciate the "Oh-Shit" implications of this problem.