By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Frustrations with misconceptions about VGchartz

@cdude

Dont worry it happens to me as well, you cant defend the site because they bring up nintendo.. wait I wont continue.

mM
Around the Network
leo-j said:
@cdude

Dont worry it happens to me as well, you cant defend the site because they bring up nintendo.. wait I wont continue.

Funny though....if vgChartz started tracking the PS3 on the way to beat the Wii in 6 months....somehow I think you would believe their numbers.

makingmusic476 said:
I'm often having to defend this site on other forums like HighDefDigest.com, and I find myself often having trouble doing so, because, to be honest, I'm not really sure what methods are used by ioi/TheSource.

From the way I understand things, ioi and TheSource estimate the American weekly numbers, and update them to coincide with NPD at the end of each month. For Japan and the EU, they use GFK, Media-Create, Famitsu, etc.

However, I tried to argue this point with someone at HDD, and they said that the ps3 figures for VGChartz were off by over 500,000 compared to the NPD tracking thread on NeoGAF. (This was over a month ago, so I'm not sure how holiday weekly sales could've factored in to this.) I tried to find this thread on NeoGAF, but couldn't, and I had a hard time debating this person without too much concrete information.

Anywho, I keep hearing talks of a "methodology page" on here. Could someone give me a link? It would be really helpful when defending this place on other websites.

Actually he does it the same way NPD does, through extrapolation of numbers by sales reports he gets from a number of stores.  Which obviously have to stay secret otherwise pressure would be applied by "competeing" companies who would perfer there not be a free option out there that gives pretty accurate numbers.

Then adjustments are made to the totals when additional data comes in that shows the data is off.  The biggest of these is shipping numbers that are released quarterly by making an educated guess about how many of the shipped products are in the retail channel, and other reports being ones from NPD, Charttrack, Medicrate Famitsu etc..

Of atleast that's my understanding of it. 

@super_etecoon

I dont believe there numbers now? Im just saying ioi might have underestimated ps3 sales.

How does me not believing in vgchartz have to do with its popularity?

mM
leo-j said:
@super_etecoon

I dont believe there numbers now? Im just saying ioi might have underestimated ps3 sales.

How does me not believing in vgchartz have to do with its popularity?

the cake is a lie!

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Around the Network

Its just a fun site...

And anyone who takes it too seriously should get a life...

VG Chartz has great info that is fairly accurate...

The only wish I have is for the preictions league to be resurrected!

Leo-j, it's sounds like your entire attitude has been shifted towards cynicism in the last couple of months Maybe you're entering an emo phase. haha.

Thanks Kasz216 for explaining everything a little more thoroughly.

Edit: spelling.

Currently playing: Civ 6

http://www.vgchartz.com/methodology.php

The link is on the middle right and at the very bottom of the page in the middle, at least on my glorious 19 inch monitor.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

TheSource said:

http://www.vgchartz.com/methodology.php

The link is on the middle right and at the very bottom of the page in the middle, at least on my glorious 19 inch monitor.

1(9 inch) ftw! =D

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

I usually defend this site when I can, however it's difficult when I rarelf leave this site, ioi will bring about his own downfall by making it so addictive that us users are powerless to leave and defend him elsewhere.

Anyhow, yes, I have defended VGC on a few sites, like occasionally I check google news for stuff, and if another site uses VGC as a source I may comment.