By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Star Trek Vs. Star Wars! "Truce talks are in the works" Didn't expect that did you KAZ?

Tagged games:

So what is it?

Star Wars 68 48.57%

Star Trek 51 36.43%

A nice booty 6 4.29%

This is like comparing Ap... 11 7.86%

other 4 2.86%

Total:140

In terms of scale, the Star Wars universe is larger (unrealistically larger) in terms of the size and power of warships. Moon sized, planet destroying space stations, 17-19 km long warships, impossibly large 35km warships in the extended universe http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f252/CanisD/Shipyard/Drawings/SW/Eclipse.png and the list goes on to say nothing of the hundreds of millions of fighters and hundreds of thousands of support ships, if not millions, that would have to exist to police an entire galaxy, regardless of how small. The SW galaxy can't be too small to lack the manpower and resources to produce 17-19 km war ships crewed by 280,000 officers, gunners and enlisted within a handful of years and continually crank them out assembly line style, which is realistically impossible by any means. Science Fantasy at its finest. Star Wars never really pretends to be anything else.

Star Trek, on the other hand, makes every attempt to explain feasibly the ifs, hows and whys of just about every significant ship showcased in any given show or film. It's more grounded in reality (science fiction reality) than Star Wars. And by existing in a believable sci-fi bubble, there are no planet buster guns, starships with crews of 500,000, infinite fighters, etc. etc.

The Q, since they are a part of the Star Trek universe, on the other hand are the Deus Ex Machina. There may be no God or Force to intervene within the ST universe without limitation, but for all intents an purposes, they are written as near omnipotent, near omniscient beings. The distinction needs to be made as if one Q can remove the powers of another Q, they are clearly not all powerful by definition.

So... warships of the SW universe would steamroll over the ST universe by sheer numbers and size alone and then presumably the Q on Team Star Trek would do the I Dream of Genie head bob and "magic" them all away.

Around the Network

Its 35km long not 35000 km...

Still such scale is just wohoo.

I think the Death Stars are said to be about over 160km and 900+ km across.

The 2nd death star is much larger, but we do not notice this in the films.

About manpower, lol Coruscant had a population of around 1 trillion and around 75% is Human.

All info from Wookipedia.

Star Trek.

Its not controlled by a horrible pig that ruined the series due to his own greed and ineptitude. Star Trek's body of work has been more fleshed out and enjoyable than what Lucas has put out.

Star Wars gave us 6 movies. Star Trek has given us 2 generations of TV and movies, and some of the most memorable events in TV, IMO.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Star Wars, its not even close.

Star Trek has more of a realistic plot, of something that might actually happen if humanity where to achieve space travel.

Star wars is too over the top. Too many races living in harmony (humans are naturally wary of other species). Theres no Earth, human central government......just some long time ago in a galaxy far away BS

Thats just me

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
rocketpig said:
And all this talk about Voyager being good is going to force me to watch the last two seasons. They're the only seasons of Trek that I haven't seen but after the first four seasons of Voyager, I just couldn't take any more. The early days of that show are so, so terrible.

I cannot rememnber which season is Hell seasonb but you should see that one. Did you ever watch the Quinn episode or even the last episode?

No, I made it through season four, I think. I'd have to go check. I will finish the show sometime but I was really burned out on Star Trek. In the last 24 months, I've watched:

2 seasons of TOS
7 seasons of TNG
7 seasons of DS9
4 seasons of Enterprise
4 seasons of Voyager

That is roughly 600 episodes of Star Trek in the past two years... or close to one episode per day. Believe me when I say I know what seasons and shows were "boring". I'm not looking at it through the rose-colored glasses of childhood. I just watched most of this crap.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

spurgeonryan said:
rocketpig said:
MrBubbles said:

Watch me.  I deny it.

the words boring, dull, and lame spring to mind at the thought of the the next generation or (the majority of) its characters.

and clearly the most accurate list of how good the shows were goes voyager>enterprise>ds9>next generation>original

I don't understand how you can use the word "boring" about Star Trek in the same sentence that defends Voyager.

The first two seasons of Voyager are the most boring seasons of Star Trek ever filmed. They're even worse than the first two seasons of DS9, which is saying something. Together, those four seasons are completely unwatchable television.

And calling TNG's cast lame when Voyager had Neelix? Oh, come on... Janeway was awesome and The Doctor was pretty cool. Outside of those two characters, the original Voyager cast is the very definition of lame.

Star Trek vs. Star Trek, cool!

DS9...was  all about being boring. That was actually what the show was about. Did no one ever read up on it? Yeah they said lets please make the most boring show on the planet, even worse than Jake and the Fat Man. That is what they set out to do that fateful day in  1996ish, and they accomplished just that.

Voyage gave us Hell Season, TIm Russ, Seven of Nine, Q continuum back story and action, The Delta Quadrant, and enough Borg deaths to last Picard a life time!

Actually if you want to know which Star Trek show was the worst you just have to look back to the last one. Mr. Quantum Leap gave us the most tedious, boring, worthless, waste of my time Star Trek ever.

Star Trek

The Next Generation

Voyager

Star Trek: The animated Series

DS9

Enterprise (or whatever it was called)

That is where star Trek stands with me. On topic: Does anyone know if the Star Wars universe had any supreme like beings so I can win my petty battle with Kaz? Anyone?

Trust me, there isn't.  I know this largely because I heavily researched Both Star Wars and Star Trek... specifically because it amused me at how many websites and threads there are dedicated to a fictional war between the universe.

I did my own analysis/breakdown to see how i would balance the two sides vs the each other in a number of scenarios as well as a more "split up" version where each faction retains it's own allegiances and there is just a worm hole or 4 (one for each quadrant) in between the two universees.

I mean, if George Lucas and whoever controls the Star Trek name now wanted to make some SERIOUS cash, that videogame would KILL, espiecally if you had a montly fee for online gaming.  Or found a way to make it almost MMO like.

Well regardless anyway, I found the only way to have the whole thing make sense was to have the Q be the ones who orchestrated the whole thing.

For the people saying "Star Wars is only six movies", you're missing a seventh movie (The Clone Wars, pretty meh) and 3+ seasons of a television show (again, The Clone Wars, but it's quite good).

spurgeonryan said:

On your previous comment other than TNG and SOS I have not watched a lot of Star Trek other than the movies since I was a kid. But back then voyager was awesome to me and DS9 sucked George Lucas Balls! There were some good DS9 episodes, but I usually ended up checking out the boring soap opera ones. At the time if you wanted action Voyager was where you went.

I haven't watched The Animated Series. I mean to but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

There's no denying it, DS9 has not only boring episodes, but boring seasons. The early seasons were just mind-numbing.

But once season four get rolling, holy shit. It's the best Trek ever produced up through season six. The Dominion War goes completely epic at points.

rocketpig said:
spurgeonryan said:

On your previous comment other than TNG and SOS I have not watched a lot of Star Trek other than the movies since I was a kid. But back then voyager was awesome to me and DS9 sucked George Lucas Balls! There were some good DS9 episodes, but I usually ended up checking out the boring soap opera ones. At the time if you wanted action Voyager was where you went.

I haven't watched The Animated Series. I mean to but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

There's no denying it, DS9 has not only boring episodes, but boring seasons. The early seasons were just mind-numbing.

But once season four get rolling, holy shit. It's the best Trek ever produced up through season six. The Dominion War goes completely epic at points.

I never really thought Deep Space 9 sucked myself, I did like it better than other similar type soap-opera Sci-Fi shows - but it wasn't in a format that interested me:

1. Soap-opera style felt like stretched out episodes
2. Space Station staying mostly in the same place instead of off trekking across the stars, exploring strange new worlds, seeking out new life and civilizations.
3. Too much buried in Star Trek Universe politics and stuff, Next Generation had a good balance of that stuff - enough to be interesting, but not so much that you felt drowned in it.

I can see the appeal of it though, people who are not interested in the adventure aspect, and are more interested in digesting one big long plotline, and seeing the political landscape slowly change in one small region. Rather than exploring many new situations, lifeforms, and civilizations - staying focussed on a small number of these. I think people like this would really love Deep Space 9. I feel that when compared to other similar series, Deep Space 9 demolishes them in terms of the professionalism and execution. It is just not really a series I have been able to get into.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.