By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Star Trek Vs. Star Wars! "Truce talks are in the works" Didn't expect that did you KAZ?

Tagged games:

So what is it?

Star Wars 68 48.57%

Star Trek 51 36.43%

A nice booty 6 4.29%

This is like comparing Ap... 11 7.86%

other 4 2.86%

Total:140
highwaystar101 said:

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. This is an entirely subjective thing. They are almost two completely different types of storytelling and whichever one you prefer is entirely down to your own opinion.

I would never tell anyone that they're wrong for liking Star Wars, but it's just not to my taste. I can see the appeal of it (as you say it's not meant to be profound, just an entertaining tale), but in all honesty I'm rather indifferent to the series.

Sure, just pointing out the differences. I routinely get into arguments with fanboys over this statement:

Star Wars is not science fiction. It's fantasy. Therefore, how can you even compare it to Star Trek, which is the most science fiction-y major franchise in history?

Star Wars doesn't contain any elements of sci-fi in it. Technology is an afterthought, is rarely explained, and is never explained coherently. It's not in the future. It doesn't even involve Earth or any descendants of Earth. It centers around magic. It's not an exploration of what science can achieve. It's less sci-fi than steampunk, for Christ's sake. Starships does not equal science fiction any more than Muppets in Space is the pinnacle of sci-fi.

Even George Lucas hates that it is referred to as science fiction. It's fantasy, it's a space opera, it's mythology, whatever you want to call it, just don't call it science fiction.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/