By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Reuters best and worst places to live. Can you guess which two cities got the top spots?

Tagged games:

amp316 said:
Kick ass. Chicago is 43rd.

Take that New York.

Chicago has always been better.  Better Pizza, Better Hot Dogs, and now confirmed better to live in

Around the Network

#12 - Amsterdam

Vetteman94 said:
amp316 said:
Kick ass. Chicago is 43rd.

Take that New York.

Chicago has always been better.  Better Pizza, Better Hot Dogs, and now confirmed better to live in

Agreed.  I'd go on, but no need for me to rub it in.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Germany is wayyyy too overrated

DC at 43. I'm surprised its on the list at all. Most surveys constantly trash our city any chance they get. As usual the Canada and European cities are severely overrated.

Around the Network
Train wreck said:
DC at 43. I'm surprised its on the list at all. Most surveys constantly trash our city any chance they get. As usual the Canada and European cities are severely overrated.

Why do you think they're overrated exactly?

Signature goes here!

OneTwoThree said:
Faxanadu said:
OneTwoThree said:
Faxanadu said:
I concur. GSA cities are the best in terms of quality of life.

Except Berlin of course, which sucks big time.

wat

And I'm not even from Berlin, or living there for that matter. It's an incredible city if you're young or feeling young & adventurous. But looking at their Top10 you can tell those Reuters guys were neither young nor adventurous. More like, rich and middle aged. Seriously, Duesseldorf. It's nice alright, but there's literally NOTHING you could do there. Spent a few years there. 

I think this is mainly aimed at Expats? Of course those are not the young, supposedly stylish but poor young & adventurous. Berlin has no infrastructure, is in a wasteland and is rather dangerous, compared to other German cities.

Only because something is "hip" does not make it good.

The way you use the words "hip" and "stylish" you probably mean overrated and dumb, but there is a special spirit in Berlin. Granted, industry and traditional jobs are sparse there - on the other hand, living is still very cheap in comparison, you don't have to have a ton of money. Oh and it is kind of harsh to assume that young & adventurous people are by definition not making their own living. Not every person in Berlin is living on unemployment benefit ;)

I have to admit I didn't really read the original article, so maybe I completely missed their point. But "best places to live" cannot only mean well-paid jobs and clean streets (by the way, calling Berlin dangerous is hyperbole IMO. I stayed there all summer, in one of the supposedly dangerous districts. No problem at all). I'm not questioning all their choices, but some of their Top10 are decidedly mediocre. 

But then do you know Frankfurt? I am not from here originally, but it is quite a nice place to live. I just dislike how everyone is like: oh Frankfurt, its no good - without even knowing the city.

And if you talk clubs, which city comes even close to Berlin except maybe Frankfurt?

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Why so many Swiss and German cities in the very top? I wouldnt rate any German city above Stockholm or Copenhagen. I have no problems with Vienna at the top because compred to Swiss/German cities it has more history, that being the deal breaker.