By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft: 960k 360's sold during Black Friday Week in U.S

ljigga said:
What do you guys think the ratio was for 4GB:250GB versions? Why do so many people buy the 4gb version when they probably will have to upgrade the HD or buy usb drives?

Does MS ever cut the price of the 250gb version for the holidays?

Maybe it allows them to purchase sooner and add the HDD when they really need it. Notice that layaway is coming back in style. Same sort of thing. They can afford to buy on installment. 1st installment is a 4GB and later they add a HDD.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Around the Network

Sony should have also given large discounts! then they would have also sold more

Epke said:
Sony should have also given large discounts! then they would have also sold more

They did, it's called a price cut...

slowmo said:
Epke said:

I think he meams more competitive bundles. It wasn't even close, I hope boxing day will be better

I have lived as a warrior. I have died as a god. Having suffered the ultimate sacrifice, I have been denied release. I...I will defeat Olympus. I will have my revenge

--Kratos

ljigga said:
slowmo said:
Epke said:

I think he meams more competitive bundles. It wasn't even close, I hope boxing day will be better

It will be, you'll have tonnes of uwanted stock to sell! Hahahahahahahahaha!!

Sorry, but you left yourself open for that one.

Around the Network

To those suggesting people buy Xbox 360 hard drives on ebay I must warn you that the secondary market is flooded with crappy Chinese knock-offs. If you read carefully sometimes they will say it's generic, but most of the time they will flat out claim it as a Microsoft drive. They look pretty much the same and they work, but often can't play Xbox original disc games. It has something to do with the way they are formatted. Official drives have a special partition for backwards compatibility and most of the knock-offs are missing it.

I'm cheap and I wanted a larger hard drive and I thought a used drive would be the way to go. Well, I had to send back 3 hard drives before breaking down and buying brand new one on Amazon.com before I could play my Xbox originals.

I consider myself lucky to have been able to argue my way to a refund three times. Don't trust the honesty of ebay sellers who sell knock off merchandise.

Anyway, I just wanted to warn you guys. If you have a 4gb model I recommend buying a new drive from a real retailer instead of trying your luck with a shady deal on ebay.

ljigga said:
slowmo said:
Epke said:

Yes, they could have had better bundles, but the 160gb console with two $60 (retail value) games for $199 is an incredible deal.  If they would have had more bundles similar to this with different games, they likely could have had more success.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

BenVTrigger said:
Reasonable said:
Baalzamon said:
Reasonable said:
I'll be interested to see if 2012 shows same pattern or whether Kinect will now have enough install base/momentum to see more consistent demand.

The thing (at least in my opinion) with Kinect is it is a seperate piece of hardware, but requires the original piece of hardware.  This in and of itself puts a limit on what Kinect can do in regards to sales.

How much of a limit?  It is impossible to tell, but there will always be the people that either:

A.) Don't want/like it as an add-on

B.) Don't wish to pay for an additional accessory (they feel what they have is already enough)

This isn't to say that future sales will not still be very high, it just needs to be considered when looking at the potential success of Kinect throughout the future.

Yeah, that makes sense.  I guess if you have 1,000 Kinects given as gifts then a percentage will actually be (politely no doubt) ignored if the recipient has no interest.  Follow up sales will therefore be lower as they would be driven by the true, active base vs the larger base.

I now have the image of some 23 year old Gears and Halo fan getting the Kinect with Gunstringer/Adventures bundle from his aunt and rolling his eyes in my head.

Actually to be honest with you its just that Vgchartz seems to have a lot of trouble tracking software that isn't "large scale".  Lots of more casual mainstream games like the Cabela's Hunting series and many others are significantly undertracked on this site.

Its currently happening with Dance Central 2, Kinect Sports Season 2, and a some of the more niche / casual Kinect games.  Trust me Kinect is pushing software.

I'm pretty sure most Kinect titles see pretty steady sales, albeit at lower levels than the big titles.  Part of the challenge Kinect has, somewhat ironically, is that on 360 most titles judged to be successful are front loaded - which few Kinect titles are every likly to be - and hence they look like failures by comparison.

I do think that Kinect is below where it should be SW wise vs install base and marketing but it has a modest library of titles selling very steadily working towards very decent LTD totals - at least that's the perspective I'm seeing from the retailers I work with.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Well here's hoping to a boxing day deal for the 250gb model then lol....thanks for the heads up I wasnt to sure about the quality from ebay.

I have lived as a warrior. I have died as a god. Having suffered the ultimate sacrifice, I have been denied release. I...I will defeat Olympus. I will have my revenge

--Kratos

VGChartz preview estimates were way off...