By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
thx1138 said:

next gen ALL consoles will have motion controller

this gen, it's too late for MS/Sony unless they start bundling motion controls in every console and also ship a free motion controller to every current owner

companies aren't gonna make games like trauma center on a console where only a small % have motion controllers

nintendo will have >50% marketshare this year, and it will be too late for the other 2 to release motion controllers and catch up

they created consoles for hardcore gamers and have marketted them to hardcore gamers....so now they get to fight it out for that small segment of the population

next gen they will do much better when they use a motion controller as THE controller for the system...however, at that point it's nintendo's market to lose, as nintendo is showing that they know how to best utilize the controls, so they will continue to do well

ms/sony will have to prove that they can do the casual gaming better than nintendo can

Disagree.

The reason for MS or Sony to release a pointer style motion controller is simply so that casuals. Look at a 360 or a PS3 and say I can have the best of both worlds. 

See you can add a new controller with minimal investment to the 360 and the PS3. Changing the Wii to WiiHD not so easy. Yes old games can be played on the new WiiHD console (with Backwards compatibility), but new games wont be playable on Wii. The casual market will the most pissed off if a new Wii comes out to soon.  Adding a new optional controller for 360 and PS3 and then using Live or PSN to deliver mini-games is a much easier thing to do.  3rd parties will easily port the mini-games they are creating for the Wii to the 360 or PS3 and have an easy online delivery service to boot.

And no one will buy, because they can get those games on the Wii for less, without having to buy a PS3 or 360 and an add on controller and spending money online for games

I mean think about it 350-400 for the console, 50 for controler and 30 for the game, is much more than $250 for the console plus a game and 50 for another game or controller

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

Sure if you assume that no family would be interested in great next gen game experiences as well as wiimote style mini party games.

I for one dont think that the line in the sand is that great.  My wife for one wouldnt mind the Wii style games, but she knows that myself and my three boys would no way pick a Wii over a 360 and she isnt willing to spend an extra $250-$300 for a Wii and a game or 2.

Libraries sell systems not individual games

Some families might be like your, but the vast majority will not, most will just get the Wii, the number of gamers only interested in HD gaming is tiny compared to those interested in Wii

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Bruceongames said:
celine said:
Welcome to VGchartz Bruce .
( I didn't read the whole thread - it's 4 page ... )
If you are really interested in understanding Wii/DS phenomenon I suggest you to read Sean Malstrom's Articles :
http://malstrom.50webs.com/index.htm
http://thewiikly.zogdog.com/author.php?author=8

They are very insightful ( articles on TheWiikly was written before Wii launch ).
Have a good day.

If you are really interested in understanding the Wii phenomenon I suggest that you read my blog. Try this article for starters http://www.bruceongames.com/2007/10/17/is-wii-a-bubble/ Also this one http://www.bruceongames.com/2007/09/03/what-is-nintendo/ And this: http://www.bruceongames.com/2007/10/02/the-future-it-is-all-a-gesture/ A chance for all you fanboys to learn how it really is from an industry professional.

By "industry professional" I assume you mean a professional of the same industry that wrote the Wii off as a third place finish, got caught flat footed by its success, and yet is now claiming to know exactly what happened, why it happened, and what it's future will be using the same basic analytical framework that failed before?

I'm glad you're here Bruce, and will be happy to read what you have to contribute, but you'll have to forgive me  for remaining skeptical of any industry insider who claims to know "how it really is", especially when none of your 2008 predictions are any different from what thousands of "fanboys" have already said.

lenardo said:
heh do you all know that bruce here used to work for codemasters?(a while ago)

he's apparently done some good stuff over in britain.

so he is a professional.

unfortunately he seems to be on the side of more processing power/better graphics side of the argument on the console situation. a side that is currently not doing as well this generation as the innovative gameplay side.

he has his opinions, i have mine, you have yours.

Currently and for the near future the Wii is the "console" that will "win"

what he doesn't realize is the wii's ease of use, intuitive controls and just damn FUN games = everyone and their grandmother can play it, and like it.

what he also doesn't realize is most industry market people, analysts have had their balls busted by the wii so far. which means the WII has broken the old model of a console user.

this is what he is not getting, a concept that breaks the mold in time will reshape industries... THAT is what the Wii is poised to do. and if the sales continue for the next year, that is what the wii Will do. it is about 1/3rd of the way there, we just need to maintain the sales and have GOOD innovative Fun games to come out in the next year to complete the job.

I did.  Cause i looked at his blog.  Hence why I was trying to help him out.  What he doesn't seem to get is that his industry expierence is pretty much useless and leads to bias.

My Mechanic knows how to make cars from the ground up, but he doesn't have more insight on the car industry then me.

It's all about the data, and the interpretation of the data. 

Around the Network
thx1138 said:

Sure if you assume that no family would be interested in great next gen game experiences as well as wiimote style mini party games.

I for one dont think that the line in the sand is that great. My wife for one wouldnt mind the Wii style games, but she knows that myself and my three boys would no way pick a Wii over a 360 and she isnt willing to spend an extra $250-$300 for a Wii and a game or 2.

Some people would buy it. However most likely wouldn't. Look at Microsofts Zune. Or any other MP3 player not an Ipod.

They are all better then the Ipod in just about every conceivable way. Yet nothing even comes close to them. Because they're Ipods.

Msoft and Sony might take away SOME market by doing this... which Msoft is already planning on i beleve... however it wouldn't be that many... and likely would just be preventing multi-console ownership, which is always a vast minority in the first place, as most people only buy one console a generation.

Microsoft and Sony releasing Wii-mote type games would be great though as people who will only buy one console and only have a 360 or PS3 would be able to play Wii like games. Of course they might not release controls as such due to the worry of it softening the stance of some staunch anti-movement controls people, some of the multi-console hardcore owners who are upset by the wii. Causing them to also buy a wi.

It could be a problem in that way. You've also got the negative press when it comes out about them "copying" nintendo and it's a PR 1-up nintendo would have for as long as they wanted to use it.

thx1138 said:

Disagree.The reason for MS or Sony to release a pointer style motion controller is simply so that casuals. Look at a 360 or a PS3 and say I can have the best of both worlds. 

You are so off on what casuals think it's funny.  They don't care about the hd graphics or super-realism of 360/ps3.  Some add-on controller won't draw them in to those consoles.

But I agree that NEXT GEN all consoles will have motion controls because they are superior to the old gamepads.

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
Fastrabbit09 said:
thx1138 said:

Disagree.The reason for MS or Sony to release a pointer style motion controller is simply so that casuals. Look at a 360 or a PS3 and say I can have the best of both worlds.

You are so off on what casuals think it's funny. They don't care about the hd graphics or super-realism of 360/ps3. Some add-on controller won't draw them in to those consoles.

But I agree that NEXT GEN all consoles will have motion controls because they are superior to the old gamepads.

??? Motion controls are inferior to gamepads, get your facts right.

The problem with Sony & MS releasing a 'wii-mote' controller is that Nintendo is not standing still. WiiFit will be out long before that and altering the market further. So then does Sony & MS also come out with a balance board? Their own brain-age, Nintendogs, etc. While always two steps behind Nintendo?

It won't work. People won't buy into it because MS & Sony are aimed squarely at the core gamer, and trying to imitate Nintendo will come across like that annoying guy who always has to tell a story to match and surpass what anybody else has done. You're not sure if he's telling the truth or not (probably not) but he sure doesn't feel genuine.

jimmay said:
Fastrabbit09 said:
thx1138 said:

You are so off on what casuals think it's funny. They don't care about the hd graphics or super-realism of 360/ps3. Some add-on controller won't draw them in to those consoles.

??? Motion controls are inferior to gamepads, get your facts right.

Who cares? Both are inferior to the awesome Balley Astrocade controller

Knob and trigger rules all.