By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - "The military is fighting for our freedoms." Truth or Propaganda?

Epke said:
War keeps the weapon industry going, it is not about freedom, innocent lives, it is about greenbacks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military%E2%80%93industrial_complex

Around the Network

I, for one, am only in the military (far from any sort of combat MOS, mind you) to provide a reliable, comfortable home for my wife and child. I don't give a rat's ass about anybody's freedom or defending any countries overseas. I don't believe in most of what the military preaches, anyways.

SW-5120-1900-6153

FinalEvangelion said:
Porcupine_I said:
Define Freedom first.

That's the point.  They never really define it.  Does freedom mean being able to start a business without so many government regulations and tax?  The US is probably better than most places for that.  Or does freedom mean that I can go to a bar after 2AM with a 20 year old responsible adult?  The US is worse about that than most of the world.  Or does it simply mean that I can speak against the government, assemble peaceably, etc.  OWS is testing the boundaries for that freedom at the moment.  Let's not forget "free speech zones" which is a paradox in itself.  Does it mean the freedom for citizens to have equal opportunity to find employment without having to worry about race, gender, religion, SO, etc.? Or does it mean that business owners can hire or deny anyone for race or any other reason?

There are many ways to define freedom, which is one reason I think that the statement is too vague.

Definition is the fundamental problem with a lot of discussions.

but freedom is especially hard to define, since when you try to you will find that you either don't have that much more freedom than anyone else in the world, or the kind of freedom you have is impossible to defend outside your countries borders.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

It isn't simply for our freedoms the military is fighting for the best interests of the United States of America. In the US's case in Canada's case it is for the best out come for the whole world and in every democratic super power in Nato's case for the best interests of democracy which is essentially our freedoms.

Look I have yet to meet a single soldier who did not join the army to defend our freedoms. Even after serving I have never met a sodlier who did not give a valid reason for the conflict he fought even if he disagreed with the reason.

I have never seen a politician order a war when it did not interest the American people to win. Because the US President relies on the votes of the US people and every conflict he enters needs to be justifiable. The problem being the Government often knows more then the average citizen, in fact based on what we know most of the conflicts we are in or have been in were done so for a variety of reasons other then those given.

Propoganda is used to try and justify conflicts. Fact is American's are self centered and only care about what effects them right now. They don't see very far into the future and they don't understand politics. Us here on VGChartz are a little brighter then the average American but lets face it if President Bush said the reason he wanted to invade Iraq was to destabalize the region bringing a stable democracy in over throwing a dictator and putting US forces in a position where they could act in the gulf. Do you honestly believe the American people would have supported the war? The US people didn't give a shit that Saddam had killed tens of thousands of his own citizens they didn't give a shit that his country was a dictatorship or that the US didn't have a good footing in the region.

Now regardless of Bush's reasons whether it was to establish a democracy and US presence in the region. To scare neighbouring countries and hopefully prevent future conflicts. Whether it was a personal vendetta to finish what his father began or even the less likely borderline insane notion it was over oil. Any of those or all of those benefit the American people.

The US only looks out for itself even the most corrupt politicians in the US aren't going to do something that needlessly jeoprodizes the US Government or the survival of the US people. I was going to go in and detail each conflict listed but honestly I think the above is good enough. The US wouldn't have any rights or freedoms if it wasn't for the military. Whether it was the Northern troops fighting the south in the civil war to the modern day Afghanistan or Iraq and even Libya. Every conflict in the US's history has benefitted the American people and in turn their freedoms.

Even if you say any conflicts were done out of corporate greed and oil. Well hate to break it to yah but the US relies on oil as does their military and the country that controls the oil is pretty protected. In turn protecting the freedoms American's enjoy.

Now if you tried to argue Canada wasn't defending democratic values I would have to laugh in your face. America is contriversial but no doubt the military does protect the best interests of the people in its country (If that country is one of the major western democracies).

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

It's 75% bullshit and 25% misleading truth.

Many US politicians seem to believe that the brains of US citizens automatically turn off as soon as someone utters the words "freedom" or "democracy" (or, even better: both)

For example I'm always laughing out loud whenever US-politicians etc. claim that terrorists hate America because they hate freedom or democracy. This is so ridiculous that I always believe those politicians must believe their fellow countrymen to be complete brainwashed idiots.

On the other hand, when politicians say that the military is fighting for your freedoms, they are strictly speaking not completely lying. Instead, it's more a euphemism for saying "the military is fighting to ensure Americas wealth and "interests", and the average US citizen benefits from these military actions as well". When they say freedom, they don't mean "freedom" as in "freedom of speech", instead they rather mean freedoms like "freedom to drive a bigass gasoline guzzling SUV because we have the money and oil stays cheap". They are talking about the kinds of freedoms that wealthy people have but poor people don't.

Around the Network

@ ArnoldRimmer

Your freedom ends where restrictions and regulations for others begin. So, the more power we have to suppress the world, the more freedom we gain. If only stupid hippies could understand this.

MDMAniac said:

@ ArnoldRimmer

Your freedom ends where restrictions and regulations for others begin. So, the more power we have to suppress the world, the more freedom we gain. If only stupid hippies could understand this.

That makes no sense at all.  There are many countries that can't suppress the world that have as many, if not more, freedoms than we do.  Take a look at the Scandinavian region or Netherlands.  In many ways, they have more freedom than we do.  Japan has no standing army, and they have just as much freedom as us - even economically (I've lived there).  Unless you are one of those people that believes that the US is the only free country - which is sometimes hard to convince some conservatives that it's not true.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

ArnoldRimmer said:
It's 75% bullshit and 25% misleading truth.

Many US politicians seem to believe that the brains of US citizens automatically turn off as soon as someone utters the words "freedom" or "democracy" (or, even better: both)

For example I'm always laughing out loud whenever US-politicians etc. claim that terrorists hate America because they hate freedom or democracy. This is so ridiculous that I always believe those politicians must believe their fellow countrymen to be complete brainwashed idiots.

On the other hand, when politicians say that the military is fighting for your freedoms, they are strictly speaking not completely lying. Instead, it's more a euphemism for saying "the military is fighting to ensure Americas wealth and "interests", and the average US citizen benefits from these military actions as well". When they say freedom, they don't mean "freedom" as in "freedom of speech", instead they rather mean freedoms like "freedom to drive a bigass gasoline guzzling SUV because we have the money and oil stays cheap". They are talking about the kinds of freedoms that wealthy people have but poor people don't.

Exactly.  I'm not justifying the terrorists actions or anything, but if "hatred of freedom" was the only motive - then they would go for the Netherlands as a target over us.  It has much more to do with our foreign policy - especially with Israel these days.  You are right, many seem to think all of us are Fox News viewers or Rush Limbaugh listeners that won't look into anything further.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

FinalEvangelion said:
MDMAniac said:

@ ArnoldRimmer

That makes no sense at all.  There are many countries that can't suppress the world that have as many, if not more, freedoms than we do.  Take a look at the Scandinavian region or Netherlands.  In many ways, they have more freedom than we do.  Japan has no standing army, and they have just as much freedom as us - even economically (I've lived there).  Unless you are one of those people that believes that the US is the only free country - which is sometimes hard to convince some conservatives that it's not true.

Recently Japan was going to sell the treasuries to recover their economy a bit but were "recommended" not to do so. Now, which state has more freedom you say? In fact, it's only Russia which dare to drive money away atm, may be because damn commies still have some nukes and balls left? Lots of Japanese companies have been in American court, as a man who lived there you obviously can name me a few American companies sanctioned by nihojin, right?

Don't know much about Norway affairs, but them being member of NATO speaks for itself. Time will come when Arctica will become very hot area, then we'll see.

MDMAniac said:
FinalEvangelion said:
MDMAniac said:

@ ArnoldRimmer

Recently Japan was going to sell the treasuries to recover their economy a bit but were "recommended" not to do so. Now, which state has more freedom you say? In fact, it's only Russia which dare to drive money away atm, may be because damn commies still have some nukes and balls left? Lots of Japanese companies have been in American court, as a man who lived there you obviously can name me a few American companies sanctioned by nihojin, right?

Don't know much about Norway affairs, but them being member of NATO speaks for itself. Time will come when Arctica will become very hot area, then we'll see.

I'm talking about the freedom of the individual citizens, not what the state can do.  Most wars are fought over what the state can do and not the freedom of the individuals.  Russia hasn't been communist for 20 years now, officially.