By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - "The military is fighting for our freedoms." Truth or Propaganda?

The only time the military fights for freedom is when it fights a defensive action against an aggressor

There are a few main motivations for war that pretty much every military conflict can fall into:
Land/Money (either wars over trade conditions or land)
Power (a little harder to define, usually the ability to project your influence but without trying to get land to do it)
Domestic Political Intervention (either intervention in civil war or wars of "regime change" like Iraq 2003)
Support for allies (again entails intervention in civil wars, or just helping allies for the sake of your alliance)
Self-Defense (the rarest type of war, when one country is determined to conquer another outright and the other country fights back)
Ideology (it is rare that wars are fought purely over ideology, though many little wars in the Cold War were more immediately motivated by ideology and only loosely fit into the larger conflict)

Countries always find justifications to frame the above reasons for war into something more palatable for the people, hence propaganda. This is not necessarily a bad thing, though one treads on thin ice in these cases

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Why would you wanna quote Herman Goering? He was a selfish lazy Nazi.

I trust no one, not even myself.

MDMAniac said:

@ ArnoldRimmer

Your freedom ends where restrictions and regulations for others begin. So, the more power we have to suppress the world, the more freedom we gain. If only stupid hippies could understand this.

This applies only in anarchy, however. We as individual Americans are not in an anarchy, and thereby our freedoms are not protected by our strength in the world, unless it got to the point where some other country could, by force, influence our domestic politics. The freedom of the USA to act in the anarchy that is global affairs is impacted by our military strength, but how does that reinforce our freedom or wellbeing as individuals?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

FattyDingDong said:
Why would you wanna quote Herman Goering? He was a selfish lazy Nazi.

Do you really think I'm quoting him because I like him?

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

well i don't know about the soldiers, but the actual people controlling the military, i say heck no to them fighting for our freedoms. its all about money.

Around the Network

I don't like to believe in all these crazy conspiracy theories, but i do think Israel has America by the throat. I think America is fighting for their freedom, and you can't deny that throughout this decade a lot has been done to spread hatred towards Arabs. Look yourselves in the mirror, and tell me you didn't hate them before this decade. 

Iraq - This wasn't even close to being about protecting our freedoms. Really it was a vendetta. We hated Saddam, the Hitler of the modern day middle east. We did liberate Iraq but in the process terrorism and sectarian violence erupted into a full on civil war. Luckily for us Gen. Petraus isn't totally inept and turned things around and now Iraq is on track to blossom into the democratic flower of the middle east. Was it worth all the casualties though? I do not believe so. In hindsight if we would have waited 8 years the arab spring would have taken care of Saddam Regime, or at least there would be more of a unity around wanting Saddam dethroned.

Afghanistan / Pakistan (Osama and Al Queda) - Yes the war in Afghanistan has made us safer by taking the fight directly to the extremist scum. I mean, no successful major terrorist attacks from them since 2001, right? (unless you count that fort hood bitch) But at the same time the regime in place is corrupt, and isn't really helping all the well.. Additionally I just do not think Afghanistan can handle or even deserve freedom after for example how they treat women. Culturally they are barren. As for Pakistan: I hate them. They sheltered Bin Laden and stabbed us in the back while taking our money and also forcing us to use drones which in turned accidentally killed their own citizens which apparently they do not give a shit about either. Now we look like the bad guy when they could have avoided it altogether.

Libya - At first I thought we should help out the citizens of libya because Ghadaffi is a poop head. But the new islamist regime scares the shit out of me even more than a repressive Ghadaffi one.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive