By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3's Move Closing The Sales Gap with Kinect

thx1139 said:
drkohler said:
thx1139 said:

it was $500m for the next year+ and it started with E3 2010. it also most defintely reduced the general 360 marketing budget, because it was marketing the 360 as well.

Are you the dense alter-ego of Kowenicki? It was a $500mio advertising blitz to lauch THE KINECT. That money is long gone, used, evaporated, spent, blown. Capice? . MS marketing budget has never apeeared in a divisional breakdown, we'll never know what got charged where and when to whom.

You are silly if you think the $500M was simply to sell standalone Kinect devices. The $500M was to sell Kinects, 360s, software, Xbox Live.  We had this argument a year ago and there were interviews with MS execs that stated that the $500M would be spent over a year+ time.  I am not going to bother and spend the time to find the old articles, but that is what was said by MS.

Drkohler your just way off on this one.  advertising budgets for MS published in their fiscal reports completely support what kowenicki and THX have stated. 

Let's try and stay on topic in this thread.  Kinect at 12 million and Move at 6 million with an increasing gap.  With the holidays underway will this be the last year of move?  I personally think they will keep it going but I think support will continue to be the big problem for move.

Around the Network

About those $500million

http://www.google.com/search?q=microsoft+500+million+kinect&safe=off

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

enrageorange said:
UnknownFact said:

What is with all of you and your fail English?

Anyways, I wasn't expecting this. It talks good about the gaming community.

It amuses me that you are complaining about "fail english" and then proceed to say "it talks good" 

Owned.

I trust no one, not even myself.

ironmanDX said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

Ubisoft's VP of Marketing Tony Key, noted, “It's not healthy to just sell in the holiday, or 90% of your units in the holidays. We would really like to see them have some major launches during the non-holiday part of the year."

It can't be that bad... 10 million in a year is still a respectable feat. Espicially considering the move was first on the market. It also said 10 mil in March, we're in November, quickly closig in on December. How many Kinect bundls have sold by then? Tonnes... Move hit 8 mil "recently", compared to a 10 million in March by Kinect

Yeah, I'm not sure what they are talking about. The Kinect is well past 10 million now. If the Move is at 9 million the Kinect is probably closer to 14 million by now.  That's about to increase by leap in bounds. Whatever gap the MOVE gain will easily be lost over the holidays. I have seen any new Move games announced. All Sony does is convert their current titles to support Move and call it a day. Where the hell is Sorcery? It got pushed back to July 2012. Yikes.

'gaming till I'm gone'

Don't really care about Kinect vs. Move. But I am glad that there are possibly nearly 5 million Move enabled households. I hope this will get closer to 6 million by year's end.

Like some pundits have said, most of the good stuff Move is used for (shooters) could have been achieved using a much cheaper and earlier to market light gun. I hope 2012 sees some quality games that actually use more of Move's potential. I'm looking at you sorcery. Also Move really needs something like Kinect Star Wars.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
scat398 said:

Drkohler your just way off on this one.  advertising budgets for MS published in their fiscal reports completely support what kowenicki and THX have stated. 

blablabla

Show me the fiscal reports with advertising breakdown that "support what kowenicki and THX have stated". Show me or shut up.

drkohler said:
thx1139 said:

it was $500m for the next year+ and it started with E3 2010. it also most defintely reduced the general 360 marketing budget, because it was marketing the 360 as well.

Are you the dense alter-ego of Kowenicki? It was a $500mio advertising blitz to lauch THE KINECT. That money is long gone, used, evaporated, spent, blown. Capice? . MS marketing budget has never apeeared in a divisional breakdown, we'll never know what got charged where and when to whom.

Nobody knows how long the launch window for Kinect is, meaning that $500mil could've had been spread out across a couple of months to a year.

BTW Kinects original selling price was $150, its manufacturing costs around $56 and total costs after overheads is likely $70-$90.And thus those costs have likely been recouped

http://kotaku.com/5688040/report-kinect-only-cost-56-to-make

But regardless

- Kinect for MS is more about long term strategy than profitability

- I don't know what Move is to Sony, because it changed nothing with regards to Sony's gaming division / strategy. It's kind of a wasted effort from a business perspective.

Jay520 said:
sales2099 said:
Silver-Tiger said:
enrageorange said:
Really scewed wording. 10mil kinects by march vs 9mil move devices currently. Considering I alone have 5 "move devices", 4 wands, and 1 navigation and I don't think anybody is buying multiple kinects. Kinect offers developers a far larger userbase.

Although I agree with this, don't forget that Sony didn't make money with the userbase, they made money with the sold Move units, which stand at 9 million now. No matter how big the userbase is, 9 million units were sold in the Sony business books.

Yes but in terms of actually reaching out to as many consumers as possible....Kinect clearly is the winner, by a lot. 

And its more like 9 million in terms of revenue....not profit. I dont know if you follow Sony financials, but they are dripping red ink :)

What's up with a smiley face at the end of your posts. It's a little creepy to be honest

More like its meant to show me smiling, confident that I said a proper post. 

I can creep if I want and your not the smile police

:)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

enrageorange said:
Really scewed wording. 10mil kinects by march vs 9mil move devices currently. Considering I alone have 5 "move devices", 4 wands, and 1 navigation and I don't think anybody is buying multiple kinects. Kinect offers developers a far larger userbase.

That's true. I have quite a few friends that own PS3s and all of them use the Move, and all of them have multiple Move devices. When you think about it though, Sony is making a killing in sales since they sell these units individually. Most gamers know that having one just doesn't work. I don't use any of these devices as I still like using the controllers. But, if I were to buy into one of them, it would be the Kinect, though I know I would look silly using it, it is simply more cost effective.

XanderZane said:
ironmanDX said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

Ubisoft's VP of Marketing Tony Key, noted, “It's not healthy to just sell in the holiday, or 90% of your units in the holidays. We would really like to see them have some major launches during the non-holiday part of the year."

It can't be that bad... 10 million in a year is still a respectable feat. Espicially considering the move was first on the market. It also said 10 mil in March, we're in November, quickly closig in on December. How many Kinect bundls have sold by then? Tonnes... Move hit 8 mil "recently", compared to a 10 million in March by Kinect

Yeah, I'm not sure what they are talking about. The Kinect is well past 10 million now. If the Move is at 9 million the Kinect is probably closer to 14 million by now.  That's about to increase by leap in bounds. Whatever gap the MOVE gain will easily be lost over the holidays. I have seen any new Move games announced. All Sony does is convert their current titles to support Move and call it a day. Where the hell is Sorcery? It got pushed back to July 2012. Yikes.

these are all move only games releasing in just this month alone they are probably more but these are the ones i know of thats more games than nintendo has probably released for the year up till now for the wii... people really need to stop pushing these kind of stupid ignorant comments "All Sony does is convert their current titles to support Move and call it a day" if you don't know don't make the claim