By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3's Move Closing The Sales Gap with Kinect

scat398 said:
I don't know what is worse...the article or the fools that actually believe it. Lets do some real numbers, money unique users sits at around 6 million right now and kinect sits at around 12 million in current sales. Can someone change the article to a more accurate title of "kinect sales gap continues to grow."

Seriously the article was embarrassing but the acceptance by the users on this site is even worse.

the article wasn't about unique users though... just about the sales of the peripherals

edit : and i don't get what you are saying here : "money unique users sits at around 6 million right now"

Around the Network

How many wiimotes have sold? cause that would be a fair estimate of ratio per user on move... they do have a similar use and the games that appeal for it are similar too. Moreover, the wii sells with 1 controller only, so there's no bias there.

I mean really, move's first games were multi-player oriented and don't a lot of games require 2 controllers to function anyways (2 glow balls), the ratio can't be far from 2.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

@ooq sorry autocorrect chanded move to money. I understand the article is discussing total units but when making a comparison to a competitors product you should make sure you compare them accurately, which he did not. Again 12 million to 6 million is the correct comparison, all discussion around the two should start from there..

The good news for Sony...even though the gap against kinect continues to increase, the product is profitable so users won't need to worry about Sony ditching it all together. However support is definitely going to be an issue.

Personally I think while this article has a hint of flamebaiting to it, its general assertion is not far off. Fact is that kinect is selling less (in percentage) in non-holiday period than the move.

The attach rate of move controllers will not be the same as Wii, as Wii is not marketed as a hardcore console, Move is marketed as something in between. The "casuals" that jumped in will likely buy 2 or more wands, while the core players most likely bought one only to play heavy rain or resistance 3. Personally I was an early adopter who went out to buy 2 wands for Sports Champions though, but I think the wand ratio should be less than 2. Moreover, whats the point of getting more than 2 wands? Which games support 4 wands? Sports champions Gladiator mode?

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
drkohler said:
sales2099 said:

And its more like 9 million in terms of revenue....not profit. I dont know if you follow Sony financials, but they are dripping red ink :)

?????? "And its more like 9 million in terms of revenue" - are you that dense?

We all can read the financial reports and see that Sony, as a company, is in the red. What does this have to do with the fact that Move, as a device, is profitable on the manufacturing level, but probably not (yet) on the production level?

And here is a little surprise for you: the Kinect device is exactly on the same path as the Move device: profitable on the manufacturing level, not (yet) profitable on the production level.

Im afraid Move isn't profitable on any level.....

MS on the other hand said that Kinect is sold at a profit, and MS actually posts profits in their quarterly earnings :)

You cant be serious with this...

Move is likely to be more profitable than kinect anyway, are you forgetting that various companies rejected this technology because it was too expensive? Not to mention Microsoft's 500 million dollar push last holidays.

Both are definitely profitable at the margin.

Just to be clear Nereid kinect is and has been selling more than move. I noticed you stated from a percentage level but when discussing sales, but it should always be about direct numbers and as stated before kinect 12 million and move. 6 million...with an increasing gap. It is pointless to even discuss the original article it has no factual base. He might as well have been comparing car sales with one company discussing actual car sales and another discussing doors, engines, and tires adding them all up and saying they are selling more than their competitor.

Nereid said:
sales2099 said:
drkohler said:
sales2099 said:

And its more like 9 million in terms of revenue....not profit. I dont know if you follow Sony financials, but they are dripping red ink :)

?????? "And its more like 9 million in terms of revenue" - are you that dense?

We all can read the financial reports and see that Sony, as a company, is in the red. What does this have to do with the fact that Move, as a device, is profitable on the manufacturing level, but probably not (yet) on the production level?

And here is a little surprise for you: the Kinect device is exactly on the same path as the Move device: profitable on the manufacturing level, not (yet) profitable on the production level.

Im afraid Move isn't profitable on any level.....

MS on the other hand said that Kinect is sold at a profit, and MS actually posts profits in their quarterly earnings :)

You cant be serious with this...

Move is likely to be more profitable than kinect anyway, are you forgetting that various companies rejected this technology because it was too expensive? Not to mention Microsoft's 500 million dollar push last holidays.

Both are definitely profitable at the margin.

Move may be profitable, but I wouldnt call it successful, at least not like Kinect.

And you cant be serious (regarding the bold). There have been virtually no 3rd party support on the Move, no dedicated titles built around it. The only title worth mentioning is Sorcery, but honestly id take Fable the Journey over that.

Kinect on the other hand not only has a few million selling 1st and 3rd party games but lots more 3rd party support in general (again I mean not kinect compatible but kinect specific games). 

Kinect will be sold for Windows next year and MS plans to sell Kinect to other businesses. Theres even rumors of a Kinect 2.0 in the next xbox. That sounds way more successful then Sony with a rejected Wii concept :)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Silver-Tiger said:
enrageorange said:
Really scewed wording. 10mil kinects by march vs 9mil move devices currently. Considering I alone have 5 "move devices", 4 wands, and 1 navigation and I don't think anybody is buying multiple kinects. Kinect offers developers a far larger userbase.

Although I agree with this, don't forget that Sony didn't make money with the userbase, they made money with the sold Move units, which stand at 9 million now. No matter how big the userbase is, 9 million units were sold in the Sony business books.

Yes but in terms of actually reaching out to as many consumers as possible....Kinect clearly is the winner, by a lot. 

What's up with a smiley face at the end of your posts. It's a little creepy to be honest

I only said profitable, in no way did I say it was more successful than Kinect. I thought Kinect is a great success for Microsoft. Moreover, it may be integral to their long term business plan, Along with their staple branches of Windows, Office and Bing. It may be their way to define how people navigate through menus, something potentially as big as the invention of the mouse or a remote control. It definitely has potential, and the new Windows 8 emphasis of it confirms the importance to Microsoft's long term strategy.

However, even if Kinect plans may be big for Microsoft, fact remains that it (very likely) is still not profitable. Not at the current numbers, but possibly in the near future. On the other hand, Move may be profitable already, for all we know. It was an in house project that has been around since PS2 days and could have been canned before resurrecting after Wii's success for all we know. Again, I am speculating, but my point is Move has lost less money than Kinect, and is closer to making an overall profit. I don't have any numbers to back this up, but you know as much as me, so you can disagree. :)

Again, I need to say that both are profitable at the margin. Meaning they will not likely be canned in the near future. I am just plain disappointed with Move's first year, and hope for a better second.