By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3's Move Closing The Sales Gap with Kinect

sales2099 said:

And its more like 9 million in terms of revenue....not profit. I dont know if you follow Sony financials, but they are dripping red ink :)

?????? "And its more like 9 million in terms of revenue" - are you that dense?

We all can read the financial reports and see that Sony, as a company, is in the red. What does this have to do with the fact that Move, as a device, is profitable on the manufacturing level, but probably not (yet) on the production level?

And here is a little surprise for you: the Kinect device is exactly on the same path as the Move device: profitable on the manufacturing level, not (yet) profitable on the production level.

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
lol. Using shipped numbers and counting a move controller, a navigation controller, and PS eyes as separate units then offcourse your gonna get inflated numbers.

Why don't we compare INSTALLED base...........oh ya.....then Move would look like a complete joke against Kinect :)

disregard post.

Well, considering that they compare recent Move numbers to Kinect numbers from March it would had been awful for Move if the gap had increased...

Why does every gaming site always screw up sales articles?

Shane Satterfield on Invisible Walls: Uncharted has never sold too well.

drkohler said:
sales2099 said:

And its more like 9 million in terms of revenue....not profit. I dont know if you follow Sony financials, but they are dripping red ink :)

?????? "And its more like 9 million in terms of revenue" - are you that dense?

We all can read the financial reports and see that Sony, as a company, is in the red. What does this have to do with the fact that Move, as a device, is profitable on the manufacturing level, but probably not (yet) on the production level?

And here is a little surprise for you: the Kinect device is exactly on the same path as the Move device: profitable on the manufacturing level, not (yet) profitable on the production level.

Im afraid Move isn't profitable on any level.....

MS on the other hand said that Kinect is sold at a profit, and MS actually posts profits in their quarterly earnings :)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
Seece said:

Because it shipped 2.4M From Jan - March, not the next 10 months. We have no idea what it has shipped over the last 7+ months. That's why the comparison is worthless.

Well the data suggests every other person has 2 controllers, anecdotal evidence or not.

Given we don't know the real figures, you have no basis for that whatsoever.

Sorry, I guess the fact that I'm discussing with the one guy on vgchartz who even has a Kinect sales tracker in his signature, currently mentioning a very concrete number of 10,847,895 units, falsely made me believe we actually DO have SOME IDEA of Kinect sales.

I still wonder why everyone including ioi is estimating the actual PS Move install base though, when obviously you have magic data that leaves absolutely no doubt about it...

Seriously. While the sales numbers that sites like vgchartz track may not be 100% accurate, they are definitely accurate enough to see that the bottom line is perfectly valid.

sales2099 said:
Silver-Tiger said:
enrageorange said:
Really scewed wording. 10mil kinects by march vs 9mil move devices currently. Considering I alone have 5 "move devices", 4 wands, and 1 navigation and I don't think anybody is buying multiple kinects. Kinect offers developers a far larger userbase.

Although I agree with this, don't forget that Sony didn't make money with the userbase, they made money with the sold Move units, which stand at 9 million now. No matter how big the userbase is, 9 million units were sold in the Sony business books.

Yes but in terms of actually reaching out to as many consumers as possible....Kinect clearly is the winner, by a lot. 

i may be wrong here but as far as i know sony's gaming division is profitable while microsoft's gaming division is still in the red but obviously with sales, xbox live etc they are rapidly reversing that

and btw the other guy was right peripherals ( move, kinect etc are usually sold as a profit ) "I dont know if you follow Sony financials" yes... as a whole not the gaming division...

ethomaz said:
Nsanity said:
I thought PS Move shipments was at 8.3 million?

Last official figure from E3 is 8.8 million... 8.3 million is March figure I guess.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/35086/Sony_88M_PlayStation_Moves_Sold_Worldwide.php

OT. Bad article... apples to oranges.

Sony said at GDC that it was 8.3 million. 

http://uk.gamespot.com/ps3/hardware/playstation-3/news/6339626/ps-move-shipments-total-83-million

Nsanity said:
ethomaz said:
Nsanity said:
I thought PS Move shipments was at 8.3 million?

Last official figure from E3 is 8.8 million... 8.3 million is March figure I guess.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/35086/Sony_88M_PlayStation_Moves_Sold_Worldwide.php

OT. Bad article... apples to oranges.

Sony said at GDC that it was 8.3 million. 

http://uk.gamespot.com/ps3/hardware/playstation-3/news/6339626/ps-move-shipments-total-83-million

He was using outdated numbers.  It's not the first time someone at Sony has done so.  Actually, if memory serves me right, you made an article when someone used old PS3 numbers trying to claim the PS3 was overtracked, but were corrected.

@ Seece

While I don't see it possible for MS to ship an extra 8-10 million Kinects in the 4th quarter (not with it having less interest in all regions, especially EMEAA and Japan, compared to last year), but I wish you good luck in that prediction.

I don't know what is worse...the article or the fools that actually believe it. Lets do some real numbers, money unique users sits at around 6 million right now and kinect sits at around 12 million in current sales. Can someone change the article to a more accurate title of "kinect sales gap continues to grow."

Seriously the article was embarrassing but the acceptance by the users on this site is even worse.