By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3's Move Closing The Sales Gap with Kinect

enrageorange said:
Really scewed wording. 10mil kinects by march vs 9mil move devices currently. Considering I alone have 5 "move devices", 4 wands, and 1 navigation and I don't think anybody is buying multiple kinects. Kinect offers developers a far larger userbase.

Why do you have 4 "wands"?

I can guarantee you most people have at the most 2 "wands"(myself included)

Around the Network
Seece said:
Reasonable said:
I've seen so many different definitions now of what is considered a "unit" of Move I don't know which to use. Was there ever an official statement from Sony on this?

Some sites say it's any Wand and/or Wand/Eye pack, others that it's basically anything Move related (such as the sub-controller) and others just Wand/Eye packs. I'm confused with too much choice.

Move Controllers, including the ones sold in the starter packs with eyetoy ect, but Nav and Eyetoy don't count towards shipments.

So when they say 8.3 M shipped do they mean starter packs/wands but aren't counting individual Eyetoy sales and sub-controllers?

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Good article. Pretty much exactly what I'm usually saying.

But first of all, what are you all talking about comparing to march numbers for Kinect? While the article does indeed mention march numbers (probably because those were the last official numbers Microsoft provided), it also clearly says:
"8 million devices sold in 2 months, and then in the next 10 months only 2 million more"
So they are in fact looking at Kinect's whole 12 month lifespan. You can of course point out that meanwhile Kinect is close to 11 million, but that doesn't really change a lot. Hardly selling one million devices in 8 months just proves Kinects problem.

Next, it's just bullshit that the average Move owner owns multiple Move controllers. And quite contrary to what Seece said, the core gamers are even less likely to own multiple Move controllers: Because most of these core games are single-player games like shooters where you cannot even use multiple Move controllers.
Before Move's launch there was lots of speculation that people need multiple Move controllers, but in practice it turned out that the basic PS Move bundle is completely sufficient for the vast majority of users.
I'd estimate that in practice, the average number of PS Move controllers per PS Move owner is 1,5 AT MOST, rather lower. Personally, I don't know a single PS3 owner who owns more than one PS Move controller.

Furthermore, if it is taken into consideration that some PS3 owners buy multiple Move controllers, one also has to consider that lots of people are not actually buying Kinect for an Xbox 360, but because they are interested in playing around with it on their PC with the Kinect SDK.

The truth about Kinect is:
While Microsoft's PR department is still very successful at making people believe Kinect is "the world's fastest-selling gadget", Kinect is actually much better described as "The most popular christmas gift for US-american kids".
PS Move on the other hand sells even even in the 10 remaining months, as much more people are buying it for themselves, not as a gift.

ArnoldRimmer said:
Good article. Pretty much exactly what I'm usually saying.

But first of all, what are you all talking about comparing to march numbers for Kinect? While the article does indeed mention march numbers (probably because those were the last official numbers Microsoft provided), it also clearly says:
"8 million devices sold in 2 months, and then in the next 10 months only 2 million more"

Because it shipped 2.4M From Jan - March, not the next 10 months. We have no idea what it has shipped over the last 7+ months. That's why the comparison is worthless.

So they are in fact looking at Kinect's whole 12 month lifespan. You can of course point out that meanwhile Kinect is close to 11 million, but that doesn't really change a lot. Hardly selling one million devices in 8 months just proves Kinects problem.

Next, it's just bullshit that the average Move owner owns multiple Move controllers. And quite contrary to what Seece said, the core gamers are even less likely to own multiple Move controllers: Because most of these core games are single-player games like shooters where you cannot even use multiple Move controllers.
Before Move's launch there was lots of speculation that people need multiple Move controllers, but in practice it turned out that the basic PS Move bundle is completely sufficient for the vast majority of users.
I'd estimate that in practice, the average number of PS Move controllers per PS Move owner is 1,5 AT MOST, rather lower. Personally, I don't know a single PS3 owner who owns more than one PS Move controller.

Furthermore, if it is taken into consideration that some PS3 owners buy multiple Move controllers, one also has to consider that lots of people are not actually buying Kinect for an Xbox 360, but because they are interested in playing around with it on their PC with the Kinect SDK.

Well the data suggests every other person has 2 controllers, anecdotal evidence or not.

The truth about Kinect is:
While Microsoft's PR department is still very successful at making people believe Kinect is "the world's fastest-selling gadget", Kinect is actually much better described as "The most popular christmas gift for US-american kids".
PS Move on the other hand sells even even in the 10 remaining months, as much more people are buying it for themselves, not as a gift.

Given we don't know the real figures, you have no basis for that whatsoever.

kowenicki said:

hilariously awful article.

first... lets compare figures from 8 months ago (10m for kinect in March) with figures for now ("Move... recently passed 9m")

second... lets compare a stand alone one-sale-per-customer item with an item that almost every user will buy AT LEAST 2 of.

piss poor writing again.

Well someone's panties are a little tight.

OT: Good news to hear. A lot of good games have gotten the move treatment. LBP2, InFamous 2, Killzone 3 to name a few. Mind you, they aren't only Move games, only implemented but they did a great job at it. I think we need sorcery to show up quick or at least a Move only game like Sports Champions. Move is doing well for itself I suppose but it still lacking good games to showcase its full potential.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network

Kinect in March to Move in Nov? thats bullshit! you can't compare the 2. what about April to Nov.? where in the hell are those Kinect numbers?

i was reading this article yesterday and have determined it's zero gravity. Weightless.

also using any data that suggest that a stand alone move shouldn't count into general unit sold instead of a stand alone is bullshit. it's the same spinning fanboys use for 360's failure rate where in the 360 owners that went and bought a new 360 instead of sending it in (which is stupid on their part) under the warranty shouldn't count as a sale.

no matter what that unit was new and sold through retail and thats the only thing that counts whether its move, 360, kinect, or PS3 and if anybody quotes me and tells me it's different then you might want to rethink it cause it won't end well.

NiKKoM said:
So which games are these "9 million" Move gamers playing?

can't the same be said of kinect owners?

lol. Using shipped numbers and counting a move controller, a navigation controller, and PS eyes as separate units then offcourse your gonna get inflated numbers.

Why don't we compare INSTALLED base...........oh ya.....then Move would look like a complete joke against Kinect :)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

o_O.Q said:
NiKKoM said:
So which games are these "9 million" Move gamers playing?

can't the same be said of kinect owners?

Hey! Look where we are......a sales website!

Im sure you can use a mouse to find the Kinect games that sold over a million and even 2 million like Kinect Sports and Dance Central.

Kinectimals, Your Shape Fitness Evolved, Seasame Street, Disney Kinect, Gunstringer, Fruit Ninja, Dance Central 2, Kinect Sports Season 2.....

Some are kiddy games yes but bare in mind Kinect is attracting a different audience. Nothing wrong with gettin them young :)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Silver-Tiger said:
enrageorange said:
Really scewed wording. 10mil kinects by march vs 9mil move devices currently. Considering I alone have 5 "move devices", 4 wands, and 1 navigation and I don't think anybody is buying multiple kinects. Kinect offers developers a far larger userbase.

Although I agree with this, don't forget that Sony didn't make money with the userbase, they made money with the sold Move units, which stand at 9 million now. No matter how big the userbase is, 9 million units were sold in the Sony business books.

Yes but in terms of actually reaching out to as many consumers as possible....Kinect clearly is the winner, by a lot. 

And its more like 9 million in terms of revenue....not profit. I dont know if you follow Sony financials, but they are dripping red ink :)