By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Best movie of the year!

1. I am Legend

2. Superbad

3.Pirates of the Carribean : At World's End

Around the Network

There aren't nearly enough Sweeney Todds in here :(

Ratatouille was really good. I think it beats out The Incredibles as my favorite Pixar movie. Brad Bird is the man.

300 wasn't as bad as some people make it out to be. Excellent eye candy, not much backing it up. Gameplay over graphics, anyone?

I still haven't seen all the movies I wanted to though. Grindhouse and No Country for Old Men look so good, but I can't ever talk anyone into seeing them with me.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of other good ones.

Still haven't seen Sweeny Todd, but from the trailer it just looked like "Generic Tim Burton Musical OBVIOUSLY Starring Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter"

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Anyway, I also really enjoyed The Host, Superbad, Knocked Up, Hot Rod (those 3 were definitely my favorite comedies this year), and I'm sure there's a couple others, I can't quite remember.

Though I see most people here are listing popcorn flicks, and out of those, I enjoyed Transformers and 300 the most I guess.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I can't believe no one else has said this:

-Charlie Wilson's War. No contest. This was great movie in every way. Funny, thought provoking, and intelligent. There was nothing bad about this movie.

Runners up:

-Children of Men. I'm a sucker for sci-fi dystopia flicks. Great movie.
-Grindhouse. It was just plain fun.

Very funny movies:

-Knocked up. I was surprised by how good this was. My favorite comedy of the year.
-Superbad. My dirty little secret is that I couldn't help but think this was hilarious.

Movies that I really didn't like:

-I am Legend. It was good until they completely fucked up the last 3rd of the movie.
-Spider-man 3. I liked nothing about this movie. It took my favorite Spider-man villain, gave him only 30 minutes of screentime, made him suck, and gave him a really crappy death.
-300. Cool fight scenes, nothing else good.
-The Golden Compass. This movie was an absolute mess. There was not a single redeaming factor about this movie for me other than a few "wow" visuals.
-Number 23. Discustingly awful straw grasping bullcrap.
-Transformers. Pretty much the same deal as 300, although I liked it much better the second time and actually ended up buying it. I liked this better than the other movies on this list.

Oh, and although Pan's Labyrinth was 2006, it was a great movie. More people should see it. I haven't seen No Country for Old Men, but I want to. The Host gets an honorable mention for being one of the best horrors I've seen in years.  There were a bunch of other movies I saw that were lost in the fray.

Around the Network
Phendrana said:
There aren't nearly enough Sweeney Todds in here :(

Ratatouille was really good. I think it beats out The Incredibles as my favorite Pixar movie. Brad Bird is the man.

300 wasn't as bad as some people make it out to be. Excellent eye candy, not much backing it up. Gameplay over graphics, anyone?

I still haven't seen all the movies I wanted to though. Grindhouse and No Country for Old Men look so good, but I can't ever talk anyone into seeing them with me.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of other good ones.

I liked Ratatouille as well, but wouldn't put it on my best of list. Brad Bird is great, but I like Andrew Stanton (Toy Story, Finding Nemo) even more.

What you say about 300 is precisely why I don't like it. What if I don't like eye candy? Then all I'm left with is the "not much backing it up." And that's precisely the situation I'm in.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

BenKenobi88 said:
Still haven't seen Sweeny Todd, but from the trailer it just looked like "Generic Tim Burton Musical OBVIOUSLY Starring Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter"

From what I hear it's very good in keeping to the Sondheim original while still adding Burton's style. The performances were great too. I think both Depp and Carter are up for Best Actor/Actress awards for it. I like Burton, but I think most people would really enjoy it. I'd say it's his best movie in a long time and easily one of the best movies of the year.

Children of Men and Pan's Labyrinth were2006 weren't they? CanI vote for them anyway?

If not, I'd go with Juno, No Country for Old Men, and Gone Baby Gone.

Sweeney Todd, by the way, is pretty cool, actually. Funny, bloody, and touching at different times.

I saw Pan's Labyrinth in 2006, otherwise I would've voted it for 2007 best movie. Love it, and looking forward to The Orphanage.

If anyone liked/loved Little Shop of Horrors, Sweeney Todd is a step above it. Great film. Will see again.

I Am Legend got a surprisingly great performance from Will Smith (I thought he'd phone it in), but the creatures, when you can see them clearly, are embarassingly stupid looking and not a bit scary. The whole movie falls apart once he meets other people, and I did not buy that one of the few survivors just happens to have a high-tech virology lab in his basement. The ending sucked too, and pisses on the meaning of the title.

Transformers - I'm still not sure why Bay is considered a good action director. He can't shoot for shit. Anyway, Shia was okay and the girl was hot.

The Number 23 - The less said, the better.

The Bourne Ultimatum - Not my favorite in the series, but easily the best action movie this year. Smart and kinetic - the scene where he guides the reporter through the surveillance and black ops teams at the station is just thrilling. Props for teaching the main character a lesson about himself he probably didn't want to hear.

Live Free or Die Hard - Not just a poorly-done movie, but a betrayal of the series. This is exactly the sort of mindless, over-the-top specacle that the original Die Hard was rebelling against. John McClane has gone from Everyman to Superman.