By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - RROD failures mean,PS3 has already outsold 360

Marks said:
Grasping at straws.

a) Replacement consoles MS sends you don't count as sales/shipments

b) If you went out and bought another one b/c yours red ringed...then why wouldn't that count as another sale?

I got a replacement console under store warranty after 2 failed repairs, new bundle. And eventually MS would have had to replace some failing beyond repair consoles with new models as well, shipped from the factory to the repair centers.

But the same goes from the launch ps3 models by now. I had to buy a new ps3 since it outlasted the 3 year warranty I had.

Around the Network

This again? At least once every three-four months one of these threads show up.

There are consoles SOLD and consoles IN USE.

People who buy a second special console (or as a replacement) constitute two SALES but one USER.
We don't know what the numbers truly are for consoles in use!

I could make an argument that Wii sales have been lower because you can't transfer your DLC/DLGs on that system while you can just pop-in and pop-out hard drives on the two consoles. (Plus service takes 10 days from Nintendo but three weeks or more from Microsoft). Meanwhile, PS3s and Xbox 360s are being replaced rather than repaired -- leading to higher sales.

But it would be as provable as what is made here.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

true but we've already been through this nobi. and then there's the aligned launch thing. plz be more original next time unless you've runout of original material then that would be sad.

If someone was stupid enough to waste a 360 by throwing it away instead of getting a working one for free, shipping included then they are idiots. Are there 3 million such idiots among current 360 owners? I suspect not. Opinions may vary.

I object to your use of the word official. By that I take it you mean Sony's shipped numbers which are neither timely nor do they accurately reflect the number of consoles in use. There will always be more PS3s on shelves and in transit to their more extensive markets. They also seem to ship their holiday inventory earlier than M$ if past years indicate a trend. So late summer, early fall shipped figures would favour Sony.

Don't like VGC nos.? Feel free to start your own website. 'The Sony Shipping News' sounds catchy. Good luck but I'll stick with Brett and his intrepid band of prognosticators.

Sold is sold and if 21.6%* of PS3s are used solely as Bluray players then should we remove those from your little equation? How about people with multiple boxes, a category where the fanatical PS3 fanbase would far outstrip the more practical and sensible 360 crowd (read impoverished)?

Don't want to hear it? Well Congratulations then. By selling their plastic box at a loss from day one, losing more money than they made in their entire history selling gaming consoles and contributing to a state of impending financial collapse and shareholder revolt in the parent company, SCE has managed to possibly tie the plucky upstarts they had outsold by 117.2m* last gen. Woooot!

* All figures are strictly POMA and still probably more accurate than yours. Love to stay and chat but I've got Halo Anniversary, Skyrim and Dark Souls** to get through. Enjoy.

** That could happen! Third time lucky.

Around the Network
trasharmdsister12 said:
My friend Bob Sacamano bought 3 launch 360's. One broke in the first year right before his second hernia operation. The two he had left got stolen 2 years ago when his biking accident left him in a coma. Two months later he got back to good health and made a fortune selling black market iPeds so he bought 3 more. Shortly after that the two that were stolen from him got returned because they had RROD'd. After that another one had broken, leaving him with 4 broken units and 2 working units. I bought one of his older units as he had plans to upgrade to the slim. One day I was watching "Still Standing" on my 360 Netflix and found myself regaining consciousness from seizures only to see my 360 had RROD'd. So I went back to Bob to get a refund and thought I'd stop by the GAP to return a pair of pants. On the way I decided to take the subway but there were some delay so I decided to sprint down the subway tunnel instead of waiting the expected half hour. While running I tripped and fell into a puddle, ruining the very pants (and 360) I was about to return.

lol.. like anyone still watches Seinfeld...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

oh nvmnd

d21lewis said:
Considering that I had to buy 3 Playstation 2's, the Wii has already outsold it, too!!

I was just waiting for some one to bring up the PS2 failure rate..  I just didn't think it was going to be you. 

trasharmdsister12 said:
My friend Bob Sacamano bought 3 launch 360's. One broke in the first year right before his second hernia operation. The two he had left got stolen 2 years ago when his biking accident left him in a coma. Two months later he got back to good health and made a fortune selling black market iPeds so he bought 3 more. Shortly after that the two that were stolen from him got returned because they had RROD'd. After that another one had broken, leaving him with 4 broken units and 2 working units. I bought one of his older units as he had plans to upgrade to the slim. One day I was watching "Still Standing" on my 360 Netflix and found myself regaining consciousness from seizures only to see my 360 had RROD'd. So I went back to Bob to get a refund and thought I'd stop by the GAP to return a pair of pants. On the way I decided to take the subway but there were some delay so I decided to sprint down the subway tunnel instead of waiting the expected half hour. While running I tripped and fell into a puddle, ruining the very pants (and 360) I was about to return.

Did you just take a hit of weed before you thought of that?  Not too bad you should publish some short stories.

mike_intellivision said:
There are consoles SOLD and consoles IN USE.

People who buy a second special console (or as a replacement) constitute two SALES but one USER.
We don't know what the numbers truly are for consoles in use!

I could make an argument that Wii sales have been lower because you can't transfer your DLC/DLGs on that system while you can just pop-in and pop-out hard drives on the two consoles. (Plus service takes 10 days from Nintendo but three weeks or more from Microsoft). Meanwhile, PS3s and Xbox 360s are being replaced rather than repaired -- leading to higher sales.

But it would be as provable as what is made here.

Mike from Morgantown

Shouldn't the main question be if a company replaces a broken console with a new one do they count it as another sale?  I would say no but I don't know how they count their numbers.  Anyways, I have know a few 360 owners from jobs that have just bought another one when theirs died and not try to get it replaced.  I believe it was around when the slim model was releasing.  Anyways, if their warranty is out most consumers will just buy  another system from the same company if they have invested in the controllers, games, etc.. rather than question the reliability of the products the company has put out.  It is now cheaper for them to just go ahead and buy the same system than switch companies.