By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2011 Discussion Thread

SvennoJ said:
Michael-5 said:
SvennoJ said:

#15 Gran Turismo 5 played on PS3, released 2010

The tracks offer great variety as well. The HD remakes of the classic tracks may not be as stunning as the real life and city tracks but they look exactly as how they originally did with a dose of heavy nostalgia.

My all time favorite track is Nurburgring Nordschleife and GT5 has by far the best rendition of it. I've probably spend as much time on that track as on all other tracks combined.

Polyphony Digital claim to have nurburging modeled to within 12 inches of vertical accuracy, which is amazing. I don't know where they got the GPS to do that. Must have used a well calibrated gyroscope.

My favorite track is and will always be Trail Mountain. It was more shocking seeing light pass throught the foliage on PS2, but non the less, that straight is my favorite in all racing games, and the variety of corner types really makes this a proper course. Only drawback is that hill on the right at the end.

Just wish the game had a better balance of premium cars, more cups (only like 54?) and a better balance of cars (650+ Japanese, 350 for the rest of the world).

To me GT3 was the best GT, but I'm glad GT5 finally got official Lamborghini, Ferrari's and Bugatti's.

I don't know how they did it but you can get 1.2mm vertical accuracy with gps. Maybe they used a high tech road survey vehicle with precision accelerometers and a few precise gps measurements at set points along the way.

Trial mountain is one of my favorites too. A great technical track. Only every time we played that in splitscreen in GT2 we always slowed down before the last corner, not wanting to be the one in front getting used for braking :)

I don't know if more cups would help, they are the most boring, grindy part of the game. The driving is great but there were only a few that were exciting from a racing point of view. My own fault of course for upgrading the cars. Yet it would be nice if the game could match you.

Road vehicles will be prone to bumps due to the suspension working. They likely walked the entire track, took photos, and used a GPD along with a gyrometer, and appropriate devices to measure distance and elevation.

LOL getting used for braking. This is why GT is second rate for me. Physics and car/track models are excellent, but some of the game decisions are terrible.

IMO more cups is needed. Later in the game you will need to repeat races to generate enough money to buy the car you need for later cups (like the Formula GT car), and like I said, that's just poor design choice. At least with more races (and more variation), you can have more fun grinding to that point. I mean except for the endurance races, the cups total something like 30 hours. Add specials and licencing, and the game isn't that long.

It's the quality of the gameplay that keeps you coming back. Suck though because I'm levels above my friends.

Next summer I will have access to a PS3, I'll challenge you on Trial Mountain.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
SvennoJ said:
Michael-5 said:
SvennoJ said:

#15 Gran Turismo 5 played on PS3, released 2010

The tracks offer great variety as well. The HD remakes of the classic tracks may not be as stunning as the real life and city tracks but they look exactly as how they originally did with a dose of heavy nostalgia.

My all time favorite track is Nurburgring Nordschleife and GT5 has by far the best rendition of it. I've probably spend as much time on that track as on all other tracks combined.

Polyphony Digital claim to have nurburging modeled to within 12 inches of vertical accuracy, which is amazing. I don't know where they got the GPS to do that. Must have used a well calibrated gyroscope.

My favorite track is and will always be Trail Mountain. It was more shocking seeing light pass throught the foliage on PS2, but non the less, that straight is my favorite in all racing games, and the variety of corner types really makes this a proper course. Only drawback is that hill on the right at the end.

Just wish the game had a better balance of premium cars, more cups (only like 54?) and a better balance of cars (650+ Japanese, 350 for the rest of the world).

To me GT3 was the best GT, but I'm glad GT5 finally got official Lamborghini, Ferrari's and Bugatti's.

I don't know how they did it but you can get 1.2mm vertical accuracy with gps. Maybe they used a high tech road survey vehicle with precision accelerometers and a few precise gps measurements at set points along the way.

Trial mountain is one of my favorites too. A great technical track. Only every time we played that in splitscreen in GT2 we always slowed down before the last corner, not wanting to be the one in front getting used for braking :)

I don't know if more cups would help, they are the most boring, grindy part of the game. The driving is great but there were only a few that were exciting from a racing point of view. My own fault of course for upgrading the cars. Yet it would be nice if the game could match you.

Road vehicles will be prone to bumps due to the suspension working. They likely walked the entire track, took photos, and used a GPD along with a gyrometer, and appropriate devices to measure distance and elevation.

LOL getting used for braking. This is why GT is second rate for me. Physics and car/track models are excellent, but some of the game decisions are terrible.

IMO more cups is needed. Later in the game you will need to repeat races to generate enough money to buy the car you need for later cups (like the Formula GT car), and like I said, that's just poor design choice. At least with more races (and more variation), you can have more fun grinding to that point. I mean except for the endurance races, the cups total something like 30 hours. Add specials and licencing, and the game isn't that long.

It's the quality of the gameplay that keeps you coming back. Suck though because I'm levels above my friends.

Yeah, I'm glad they added the penalty system. Fun to see people try, then ghost right through you off the track. Much better then both of you ending up with damage imo.

About the cash thing, they had the weekly extra races for a lot of cash at the beginning. Winning 1.2 mil for 1 race moved things along a bit. Now you only have the 200% bonus if you play daily. There's 120 extra races or so to complete in the online single player challenges but the payout is not that great anymore.

I made most of my money with B-spec while I was watching tv or doing something else. Far from ideal, but 3 20mil cars hurt a lot. If only the payout for online races was higher. GT5p had a much better balance for payout between expert online and single player races. I kinda miss the system of a couple specific online races to focus on too. (matchmaking was ...ing slow though)

I'll see you on Trial mountain.

#14 The Neverhood played on PC, released 1996

A truly unique adventure game. I wonder why this game never comes up in the games as art debate. Probably because hardly anyone knows it. It pains me to read that this only sold 48 thousand copies.
The game has a lot of humor, great characters, original music and clever puzzles. The world has a real sense of wonder to it and you're always looking forward to see what lies beyond the next puzzle.
Hopefully this game will be revived someday. There are rumors that the original creators are looking to bring it to mobile devices. Let's hope they are true. And how awesome would a Wii version be.

If you're not convinced yet read this review. We need more games like this.

List

spurgeonryan said:

Traitor! How long have you been sneaking behind the elimination threads back and posting over here.

You cut me to the core today SvennoJ.....

You know I am kidding, I have a few here as well.

I need to write a little program to auto post every 3 hours, Chris Hu is killing my favorite 80's movie! Do something about it.

What will be done first, top 50 or 80's movies. Both great threads.

14. Portal 2 (PS3)

I really liked the its' predecessor, but it didn't make my Top 50. However, Portal 2 was a big improvement over the first one, therefore it's actually very high on my list. Especially the level design was simply excellent.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Michael-5 said:
SvennoJ said:

Yeah, I'm glad they added the penalty system. Fun to see people try, then ghost right through you off the track. Much better then both of you ending up with damage imo.

About the cash thing, they had the weekly extra races for a lot of cash at the beginning. Winning 1.2 mil for 1 race moved things along a bit. Now you only have the 200% bonus if you play daily. There's 120 extra races or so to complete in the online single player challenges but the payout is not that great anymore.

I made most of my money with B-spec while I was watching tv or doing something else. Far from ideal, but 3 20mil cars hurt a lot. If only the payout for online races was higher. GT5p had a much better balance for payout between expert online and single player races. I kinda miss the system of a couple specific online races to focus on too. (matchmaking was ...ing slow though)

I'll see you on Trial mountain.

Yea, I agree, but with a 5 year dev time, I expected more from GT5. The design choices feel too dated (penalty system and grinding).

Still it houses an excellent sim engine, and is fun to play just with friends. I really loved the Specials too.

and there is much less grinding then before.

I hate B-Class. I almost never played it with GT5 and managed to make enough money to get the Formula GT car with A class and just not buying any other car (you can beat pretty much the entire single player with 3 cars, Nissan GT-R, Corvette ZR1 with mods to race spec, and the Formula 2000).

I hate how sims (Forza and GT) require you to play in B-Spec type races to get full trophies/achievments. Waste of power and time.

P.S. As for your 80's elimination computer program. Good luck! However I think a lot of forums have systems which detect autoposts and block them. Also it's every 2 hours now.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

14. Batman: Arkham City (PS3)

A phone is ringing. It's Zsasz, he's taken another hostage. If I find the next phone that's ringing somewhere in the city, he'll spare the hostage. It's over 400 metres away and I've got a minute to get there. I use the rooftops and glide between buildings. One of Joker's thugs spots me, and tries to taunt me into a fight, I'll deal with him later. I reach the phone just in time and let Zsasz talk. He doesn't realise I'm tracing the call and getting closer each time. He hangs up the phone, but I'll have him next time. Now, where was that thug...

VGChartz

Korppi said:
Scoobes said:

25. Neverwinter Nights + Expansions Shadows of Undrentide & Hordes of the Underdark (PC)

I unfortunately didn't get into Baldurs Gate when it came out, so this was my first real foray into Western RPGs. From the start I loved it. The story was brilliant starting with a plague in Neverwinter and multiple problems aflicting the city to the betrayal of the Aribeth and the way the player handles each situation. The expansions were also good adding in prestige classes as well as new stories. Played this co-op with my partner which worked very well.

Would've been on my list too, if I were any good at the game. Great pick.

Who's your favorite henchman? I personally like Grimgnaw. Delightful fellow.

I used Tomi quite a lot. His screams of "Here comes halfling death!" used crack me up. Also found it useful having someone who could pick all the locks and disarm the traps lying around every other corner.

Machina said:

#15 - Tomb Raider II (PS1)

The best Tomb Raider. I loved this game. It was hard - really hard, and I used a guide through most of it, but you still felt a sense of accomplishment when you got through a level. So much variety to the levels as well. I remember my buddy at secondary school bought it at the same time and we raced to see who could complete it first. So many great moments - bursting through gondolas in a speed boat, getting the goons and the monks to fight eachother at the tibetan monastery, the maze and hidden underground chamber in her mansion, the ending when the goons invade her house, the butler you could shoot at, exploring her home, the freaky floating island level, and how terrifying the enemies were. The cut scenes were great too. A real nostalgia pick ^^

I used to love this game. Your commentary has just ignited so many great memories of playing this.

#15. Super Metroid (SNES, VC)

"The last Metroid is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace." Opening with these lines and the creepy music in the background you knew this game was something special. Expending on the concept of the original game, giving us a whole planet to explore and tons of new items this was one hell of an adventure. The gameplay was excellent even if I still have the hardest time successfully doing that damn wall jump. As you progressed through the planet you encountered boss fights against huge enemies (A shoutout goes out to Kraid who's been sadly missing from recent Metroid games) and then you had the final battle with Mother Brain and the heartbreaking conclusion of that battle.

Signature goes here!