By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY: 63% of PS3 Owners Will buy a Vita

Tagged games:

Will YOU buy a Vita in the first 18 months?

Yes 32 41.03%

Maybe 14 17.95%

Nope im shit 32 41.03%

Total:78

48% of VGC readers will click on this thread because it has Vita or Sony in its name.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Around the Network
PlaystaionGamer said:

With its official release set for February, the Vita will miss the lucrative holiday season, but this delay won’t be too detrimental to sales, according to a Sony survey.

According to the Sony report, 63% of PlayStation 3 owners have pre-ordered a Vita, or plan to buy a PS Vita within 18 months of launch. In addition, 60% of PlayStation Portable owners will upgrade.

Missing this year’s holiday season will apparently work in Sony’s favor, as it means they will be able to meet demand. John Koller, Sony’s PlayStation director of hardware marketing, said:

Sony has learned a lesson to make sure you have enough products.

Mr. Koller told AllThingsD that, during the PSP’s launch, the handheld sold over one million units within its first week, despite releasing in March. With a huge number of developers backing up the PlayStation Vita, Sony is confident that their handheld will have a great launch.

The PlayStation Vita releases on February 22nd,

Source 

do you agree? 

I am trying to find the original research Sony had for Move. I remember posting it years ago before Move launched which stated a very high percentage of PS3 owners were expected to buy Move. They had done survey's of PS3 owners and Wii owners and had also included pre-order numbers. Yet when the device actually launched it failed on a massive scale to deliver the sales Sony predicted.

Now lets look at what Sony directly says in this according to your OP! If Sony isn't stretching the truth and around 63% of PS3 owners have pre-ordered the Vita or plan to purchase it within 18-months. Then we will have the largest launch of any games console in history , pre-orders are generally picked up launch day or within the launch week or two. Using my rough Math skills I find that launch year sales if these pre-order numbers are true would exceed 31-million units making it the single largest console launch in history. Then if you consider the extra PSP owners they include you have a massive unprecedented launch something that has never been seen before.

Will Vita be the fastest selling game platform in history? No it won't these numbers are inconclusive and won't lead to anywhere near the results Sony is predicting. I wouldn't be surprised if PS Vita could break a couple million launch month then slow dramatically for the months prior rounding up the year with at the very best which would take a miracle around 10-million hardware units! The fastest selling game console in history was the Nintendo Wii with only 10.6 million units! For Vita to beat that would take a miracle to come close to it would be a miracle.

So no Sony is full of shit, this is yet another baseless publicity stunt meant to drum up hype and support for Vita. These findings will not result in sales. Also even Sony knows this is completely shit, if they really expected to sell 31-million units in 18-months they would be manufacturing shit loads more then they are. Sony's supply lines aren't even capable of producing 31-million units at their current capacity within 18-month at least I highly doubt they could!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

That's impossible, unless they mean 63% of regular gamers or something. And perhaps people saying they'll get it when in fact they may lose interests.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

That's reasonable. I'm in the 63%. Vita looks awesome and looks to have tons of little things to keep you entertained. I have high hopes for it. I may not get day 1 however. Probably within the same month, while I save some money.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

I am the 63%.

Fedor Emelianenko - Greatest Fighter and most humble man to ever walk the earth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVVrNOQtlzY

Around the Network

I highly doubt it encompasses all of the PS3 owners, because I never took the survey and I'm sure many others didn't. I'm pretty sure the 63% of the PS3 owners getting a Vita at launch or within 18 months of launch include the people who took the survey, which could be anywhere from 1 million to something like 5 million.

in the first 18 months!?

so, we have 54m Ps3 users atm, which means 34m are planning to buy PSV during first 18 months, which (considering big launch as well) makes about 450k per week for the first 18 months

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

ummm ok? its possible! every PS3, PC, 360,and PSP owner i know is getting 1. some on launch day and preordered already.

wait! isn't that very close to 60m untis?

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
ummm ok? its possible! every PS3, PC, 360,and PSP owner i know is getting 1. some on launch day and preordered already.

wait! isn't that very close to 60m untis?

6 billion first week confirmed.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

I am guessing this is a Japanese survey. Otherwise the numbers must have been pulled out of their ass. No way 63% PS3 WW owners will buy PSV within the first 18 months.