By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY: 63% of PS3 Owners Will buy a Vita

Tagged games:

Will YOU buy a Vita in the first 18 months?

Yes 32 41.03%

Maybe 14 17.95%

Nope im shit 32 41.03%

Total:78

I want to be in that 63% if I have the cash, but along the line I'll get one.

Around the Network

Um no.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

3DS is better

Do Sony themselves even believe this BS?

Im the 1%.

I will not be Occupying the Vita in the first 18 months.

Around the Network
McGran said:

It's worse than it looks thanks...

The original article in AllThingsD actually says:

"Of the current PlayStation Portable owners, 60 percent have said they will upgrade in the next 18 months, and of the console owners, 63 percent said they would buy one."

So that's 60% of PSP owners to upgrade within the first 18 months

and 63% of PS3 owners said they would buy one (not necessarily within the first 18 months)

So that'll be 42m sales in the first 18 months.

And the PSP has been around for 6 years or so now. So the Vita will have sales of around 28 million per year while the PSP has averaged sales of about 11.5 million a year.

Paul said:
McGran said:

It's worse than it looks thanks...

The original article in AllThingsD actually says:

"Of the current PlayStation Portable owners, 60 percent have said they will upgrade in the next 18 months, and of the console owners, 63 percent said they would buy one."

So that's 60% of PSP owners to upgrade within the first 18 months

and 63% of PS3 owners said they would buy one (not necessarily within the first 18 months)

So that'll be 42m sales in the first 18 months.

And the PSP has been around for 6 years or so now. So the Vita will have sales of around 28 million per year while the PSP has averaged sales of about 11.5 million a year.

I still think the numbers represent an inaccurate analysis of the survey they completed ... Suppose you broke down the PS3 into 5 equal groups based on how "hardcore" of gamers they were. While it would be difficult to gather, it would not be surprising to see the following statistics on buying intentions (first 18 months):

• Top 20%: 75% intend to buy PS-Vita
  • Second 20%: 50% intend to buy PS-Vita
  • Middle 20%: 25% intend to buy PS-Vita
  • Bottom 40%: ~0% intend to buy PS-Vita

While it is simple to see that my (hypothetical) numbers add up to 30% of PS3 owners intend to buy a PS-Vita in the first 18 months. Now, being that these divisions would also impact a person's playing habits as well as their online activities surrounding games, it is likely that their participation in a survey would be disproportionate ... Suppose you had the following breakdown in participation rates:

• Top 20%: 70% of the survey
  • Second 20%: 20% of the survey
  • Middle 20%: 5% of the survey
  • Bottom 40%: ~0% of the survey

The survey would end up reporting that 63.75% of PS3 owners intend to buy a PS-Vita in the first 18 months ...

I suppose what I said could be simplified by saying that statistical surveys are only meaningful when you can ensure a randomized cross-section of the target population is polled. If this isn't ensured, you're likely just going to have results which demonstrate the bias of your sampling.