By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will the 4th REAL Mario game release? UPDATED!!!!

When will the 4th REAL Mario game release?

Wii-U launch 2012 15 18.99%

2013-2015 28 35.44%

2015-2020 4 5.06%

2020-2031 4 5.06%

2032. 23 years after the last one. 27 34.18%

Total:78

I was never arguing against 2D Marios being the mainline series in the first place.

Hell, I'm not even arguing against the idea of mainline series in the first place (though the X series of Mega Man, for a while, superceded the original series).

I'm arguing against being a dick.

Around the Network

wat

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
wat

Colloquialism for being a jerk-ass, a person with crass intent, someone who's out to just step on the way other people look at things. It's about the semantic difference between "mainline" and "real" in the context of the OP and subsequent conversations wherein an implicit (and later explicit) devaluation of alternative perspectives comes into play.

I don't care what anyone thinks constitutes "real" Mario or Mega Man or Zelda; I just care when they use that value set to piss on other people.

Khuutra said:
RolStoppable said:
Khuutra said:

....The... lore. I have to admit that part of your argument is the one I assumed you were joking about, but all right.

So let's suppose that Mario Bros.'s setting and characters and elements were propagated throughout the rest of the series, becoming a feeding ground for all or at least the majority of spinoffs (though, uh, this is actually already the case). This would make it the main series?

The Mario series is more than just Mario and Luigi. This is common sense, but you disregard the common sense argument.

That's more than enough of that shit, thank you. I'm asking questions, and that's all I've done so far.

I just remembered this:  Wrong.

You made a positive claim that Super Mario Bros.' "setting and characters and elements" all descend from the original "Mario Bros." game, when my clear recollection is that only the titular brothers really did so. 

[edit: For instance, the enemies are completely different -- crabs, jumping bugs, and not-obviously-Koopa turtles; you don't jump on enemies to kill them but hit them from below, then touch them to kill them; the pipes make enemies loop back through the level; the POW block which didn't get used again until NSMBWii (discounting SMB2US since I presume it was just a sprite swap of some unrelated item).] 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

Final-Fan said:
Khuutra said:
RolStoppable said:

The Mario series is more than just Mario and Luigi. This is common sense, but you disregard the common sense argument.

That's more than enough of that shit, thank you. I'm asking questions, and that's all I've done so far.

I just remembered this:  WRONG.

You made a positive claim that Super Mario Bros.' "setting and characters and elements" all descend from the original "Mario Bros." game, when my clear recollection is that only the titular brothers really did so.  Certainly, I doubt you can find the Mushroom Kingdom in there anywhere. 

You're right in that I was doing more than asking questions; you're wrong in that what I said was that elements of Super Mario Bros. had proliferated throughout the entire rest of the franchise (the two brothers, pipes, turtles, and pow blocks being the biggest).

Around the Network

Actually, wait a minute.

This thing you're doing here, what is this

Well, see my edit: I admit that my point was off target (for instance, the Mushroom Kingdom could simply be an addition to canon like SMB3 added to SMB). So I think the edit helps illustrate why I say the change from MB to SMB was so drastic that it's not really in the same "mainline series" (supposing the existence of such) as SMB is.

As for your question, I think it could be a lot more clear.

Final-Fan said:
Well, see my edit: I admit that my point was off target (for instance, the Mushroom Kingdom could simply be an addition to canon like SMB3 added to SMB). So I think the edit helps illustrate why I say the change from MB to SMB was so drastic that it's not really in the same "mainline series" (supposing the existence of such) as SMB is.

What's "it" in this situation? In case it is my question:

Why are you bringing up points that have primarily either been addressed or dismissed as ancillary details?

I mean heck, we could even say that SMB being a sidescroller instead of a single-screen affair is just as much of a change as 2D to 3D. Or I could, anyway. In fact it's even more than that because IIRC it's always the same level. There's no different setting you go to like the different Worlds in SMB.

Khuutra said:
Final-Fan said:

What's "it" in this situation? In case it is my question:

Why are you bringing up points that have primarily either been addressed or dismissed as ancillary details?

Well, that had stuck out to me because you reprimanded Rol for, basically, arguing a point that you said you hadn't made.  So I wanted to point out I think he had a right to respond to a claim you clearly made.  (Rol:  "The Mario series is more than just Mario and Luigi.")

You already responded to that:  "You're right in that I was doing more than asking questions; you're wrong in that what I said was that elements of Super Mario Bros. had proliferated throughout the entire rest of the franchise (the two brothers, pipes, turtles, and pow blocks being the biggest)."

Now the first part of that sentence is very clear.  The second part -- I think you might mean MB instead of SMB?  There are no POW blocks in SMB.  (BTW, I'd dispute that they can be said to have "proliferated" that much, though you may be able to back that up, I don't know.)  And you DID actually say that.  It's right there.  "This is actually already the case."  ("that Mario Bros.'s setting and characters and elements were propagated throughout the rest of the series, becoming a feeding ground for all or at least the majority of spinoffs")

But aside from that, I have been kind of getting sucked into trying to define the mainline Mario series, which is apparently an activity you are uninterested in despite the huge amount of discussing it you did while serving your other argument.  So, sorry?