By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will the 4th REAL Mario game release? UPDATED!!!!

When will the 4th REAL Mario game release?

Wii-U launch 2012 15 18.99%

2013-2015 28 35.44%

2015-2020 4 5.06%

2020-2031 4 5.06%

2032. 23 years after the last one. 27 34.18%

Total:78
Final-Fan said:
Khuutra said:

What's "it" in this situation? In case it is my question:

Why are you bringing up points that have primarily either been addressed or dismissed as ancillary details?

Well, that had stuck out to me because you reprimanded Rol for, basically, arguing a point that you said you hadn't made.  So I wanted to point out I think he had a right to respond to a claim you clearly made.  (Rol:  "The Mario series is more than just Mario and Luigi.")

You already responded to that:  "You're right in that I was doing more than asking questions; you're wrong in that what I said was that elements of Super Mario Bros. had proliferated throughout the entire rest of the franchise (the two brothers, pipes, turtles, and pow blocks being the biggest)."

Now the first part of that sentence is very clear.  The second part -- I think you might mean MB instead of SMB?  There are no POW blocks in SMB.  (BTW, I'd dispute that they can be said to have "proliferated" that much, though you may be able to back that up, I don't know.)  And you DID actually say that.  It's right there.  "This is actually already the case."  ("that Mario Bros.'s setting and characters and elements were propagated throughout the rest of the series, becoming a feeding ground for all or at least the majority of spinoffs")

But aside from that, I have been kind of getting sucked into trying to define the mainline Mario series, which is apparently an activity you are uninterested in despite the huge amount of discussing it you did while serving your other argument.  So, sorry? 

For the sake of argument: POW blocks were in Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, NSMBWii, Yoshi's Island (if I remember), Mario Kart Wii, Smash Bros., Brawl... I may be forgetting a couple, but it's been a pretty consistent element throughout the series, if rare when compared to something like pipes.

And I understand what you're doing, it's just.... I thought that discussion was over, is all. I outlined what defined a Mario game for me, Rol did it, Pyro did it... I don't know what else there is left to discuss. There's certainly nothing to argue about concerning my views, which I thought I had previously made clear (real Mario games give me "that Mario feeling")

Around the Network

Well, I know I'm late to the party, but that one thing really stuck out to me as something I wanted to point out, because I felt you jumped on Rol for no good reason, which is pretty out of character for you.

POW Blocks: SMB2 ... does that even count? I thought it was something from Doki Doki Panic and they just changed the sprite like all the rest of the Mario stuff. For the rest of it, I was thinking of it in terms of main series penetration, which it hadn't done until NSMBWii (discounting SMB2 for reasons mentioned), but you're right because it did get into the spinoffs so it clearly has influenced the Mario group.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

All right, then, for the sake of the discussion:

I think classification in terms of genre is quick, easy, and useful to the average person. 2D Mario, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros., all of these things need to be divided and identified according to common traits that identify them in concrete (but sometimes broad) ways.

More specific designations, like that between 2D Mario and the 2D Yoshi games, are also useful. It represents the depth and texture of the genre in a way that will still be easy to understand (though not so easy as when comparing to something like Mega Man or Sonic).

I'm not entirely convinced of the utility of dividing 2D Mario games from other 2D Mario games, though. There comes a certain point after which the only discourse it adds to is the discussion about the discourse. Now maybe I don't remember Super Mario Land very well, but outside of its setting I seem to remember it being more or less like the NES games, albeit more simplistic.

RolStoppable said:
Khuutra said:
All right, then, for the sake of the discussion:

I think classification in terms of genre is quick, easy, and useful to the average person. 2D Mario, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros., all of these things need to be divided and identified according to common traits that identify them in concrete (but sometimes broad) ways.

More specific designations, like that between 2D Mario and the 2D Yoshi games, are also useful. It represents the depth and texture of the genre in a way that will still be easy to understand (though not so easy as when comparing to something like Mega Man or Sonic).

I'm not entirely convinced of the utility of dividing 2D Mario games from other 2D Mario games, though. There comes a certain point after which the only discourse it adds to is the discussion about the discourse. Now maybe I don't remember Super Mario Land very well, but outside of its setting I seem to remember it being more or less like the NES games, albeit more simplistic.

The main reason to separate SML from SMB is because it is like a sidestory. I cannot say much more than it feels right to separate it from SMB. It's a common relationship that many home console/handheld games share. The home console entries are the real deal while the handheld versions are sidestories. This may be in large part due to the technological limitations of handhelds compared to their home console counterparts in the same generation. Also, if the handheld entry doesn't get a number assigned to it, it only strengthens the impression that it is indeed a sidestory. In SML's case, there's also SML2. This just adds to the impression that it should be seen as a separate series of Mario games. Just like Super Mario World (a.k.a. Super Mario Bros. 4 in Japan) suggests that SML is a separate series. (SMW was released after SML.)

On the other hand, NSMB is so close to SMB that it should be counted towards SMB. What speaks against it is basically only the tradition of separating home console and handheld games, even though occasionally a handheld game has been an official sequel. For example, Metroid 2: Return of Samus. But that's the exception to the rule.

Neither NSMB or NSMB Wii have an official number assigned to them, so it's basically impossible to come to a final judgment whether NSMB should be discounted or not. It fulfills all requirements, but it's on a handheld. That's its only "fault".

I can respect that, but... I guess I just don't see games that way. Mechanically, SML and SMB feel the same to me, so they're not able to be split along those lines just because of the platform they're on.

RolStoppable said:
  • SMB - 40m (includes bundles)
  • SMB2 - 6m (Western version)
  • SMB3 - 18m
  • SMW - 20m (includes bundles)
  • SM64 - 11m
  • SMS - 6m
  • SMG - 10m
  • NSMB Wii - 22m
  • SMG2 - 6m

Just a small note: SMB3, SM64 and NSMB DS and Wii have all been bundled. Didn't check SMS, but i suspect the same goes for it.

SMG and SMG2 seems to not have been bundled.

Apologies if anyone else have mentioned this.

Around the Network

What in the world... are you for real?

RolStoppable said:

That's true. SMS was also bundled at one point. The reason why I didn't add a note to any of these games is because their sales from bundles were negligible in the grand scheme of things while SMB and SMW were heavily bundled, so their real sales are harder to determine. It's obvious though that SMB and SMW would have sold a lot of copies regardless, because they were the games a lot of people bought the NES or SNES for in the first place.

NSMB Wii seems to have added about 5 mill from bundle sales, so I wouldn't call it negligible. Still, I understand and agree with your point.

RolStoppable said:
Khuutra said:

I can respect that, but... I guess I just don't see games that way. Mechanically, SML and SMB feel the same to me, so they're not able to be split along those lines just because of the platform they're on.

Actually, I can expand a little bit more on that. SML feels like a sidestory, because it is one. Aside from Mario and the mechanics, SML has nothing in common with SMB. Maybe there are Goombas, but it's hard to say for sure. The sprites look like they could be, but then again enemies like the Piranha Plants look a lot differently. In terms of lore, SML doesn't take anything from SMB. Also, nothing of SML's lore went back into SMB.

SML2 has at least Goombas and Koopas, but most levels are filled with completely new enemies. The antagonist, Wario, is also new and never made it into a SMB game, even though he became popular on his own. SMB revolves around Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser. Heroes, victim and enemy. This has been the common theme throughout all games of the series.

NSMB should count towards SMB, because other than it being on a handheld, there's no point you can make against it.

And the last game in line on handhelds, Super Mario 3D Land, doesn't count because its gameplay skeleton differs from SMB drastically.

Right, I understand, I'm just saying that it being a sidestory doesn't really matter to me.

RolStoppable said:
Khuutra said:

Right, I understand, I'm just saying that it being a sidestory doesn't really matter to me.

Okay, I see.

Will you finally concede that Super Mario 3D Land is not a REAL Mario game?

I won't know that until I play it.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=142136&page=1

Thanks Nintendo.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!