What Do you think about this?

I like this 74 64.35%

I don't like this 5 4.35%

Netrual 11 9.57%

Wow they learned their lesson! :) 16 13.91%

I don't want them to succeed.......... 9 7.83%

Total:115

How about none of those

I want a "I'll believe it when I see it" option!

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

That's actually a pretty good post. A few minor things I don't entirely agree with, but in general it's well thought out.

Wow thats an honor coming from you, I have only heard you compliment my posts a few times and those I can probably count on one hand. Glad you liked it!

glimmer_of_hope said:
I think it's safe to say that Nintendo had the donkey dung scared out of them from the 3DS launch.That was very close to a disaster and for sure brought them down to earth.

I expect a sensational launch for Wii U. I am going as far to say GTA5 will be there for launch day.

Very close to a disaster? What do you consider a disaster exactly? Nintendo says it will post its very first annual operating loss in its recorded history. Now admittedly a large amount of that loss is creditted with the currency issues. However Nintendo exec's themselves have stated 3DS is a large factor.

Nintendo to my knowledge has never sold hardware at a loss. I remember when they discounted GameCube they actually went into the hardware and cut as much as they could. The GameCube in its second year was entirely different and by the third year IBM had completely cut costs and so did the other companies. Only towards the very end when Nintendo cut GCN's price to 99$ did Nintendo start taking losses on GCN hardware.

I would not only say that 3DS was a disaster but a cotastrophe. Its the second largest screw up in Nintendo history second only to Virtual Console. Actually financially Nintendo didn't take a loss with Virtual Console so this could be seen as even a bigger financial disaster.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Joelcool7 said:
RolStoppable said:

That's actually a pretty good post. A few minor things I don't entirely agree with, but in general it's well thought out.

Wow thats an honor coming from you, I have only heard you compliment my posts a few times and those I can probably count on one hand. Glad you liked it!

glimmer_of_hope said:
I think it's safe to say that Nintendo had the donkey dung scared out of them from the 3DS launch.That was very close to a disaster and for sure brought them down to earth.

I expect a sensational launch for Wii U. I am going as far to say GTA5 will be there for launch day.

Very close to a disaster? What do you consider a disaster exactly? Nintendo says it will post its very first annual operating loss in its recorded history. Now admittedly a large amount of that loss is creditted with the currency issues. However Nintendo exec's themselves have stated 3DS is a large factor.

Nintendo to my knowledge has never sold hardware at a loss. I remember when they discounted GameCube they actually went into the hardware and cut as much as they could. The GameCube in its second year was entirely different and by the third year IBM had completely cut costs and so did the other companies. Only towards the very end when Nintendo cut GCN's price to 99$ did Nintendo start taking losses on GCN hardware.

I would not only say that 3DS was a disaster but a cotastrophe. Its the second largest screw up in Nintendo history second only to Virtual Console. Actually financially Nintendo didn't take a loss with Virtual Console so this could be seen as even a bigger financial disaster.

If the 3DS was a disater with one year of losses what can be said of the PS3 and Xbox 360 launches?

It won't save the WiiU, that thing might just kill nintendo as a console manufacturer. I hope it does, I'd rather them develop for different platforms.

Despite them trying to let third parties get a chance to release some titles without competing with their first party titles, they still need some kind of first party support at launch. The lack of a big third party support at launch with the 3DS hurt them, considering most of the games were lackluster, not to mention that third parties probably aren't used to the hardware yet to make something that stands out.

With the release of Skyward Sword next month, I don't see them doing a Zelda for the Wii U until a year or two after launch, unless they do a port of Skyward Sword for it. We won't see anything Smash Bros. related for a good while, and I'm not sure a Mario game will be ready at launch (within a year of launch, yes). I think Nintendo should prepare Pikmin 3 for the Wii U launch, since that's been a title that has been talked about for years now. What Nintendo should do is prepare some new IPs, mixed with one or two old ones for the Wii U launch.

Around the Network
Paul said:
Joelcool7 said:
RolStoppable said:

glimmer_of_hope said:

If the 3DS was a disater with one year of losses what can be said of the PS3 and Xbox 360 launches?

The PS3's launch, and first year was a ture disaster. It launched at $599, and Sony STILL took a $200-$300 loss on each system. It also didn't get any decent games until 2007. It also took Sony about 4 years  to get out of the red. The 360, on the other hand, I wouldn't call that a disaster because it wasn't sold at such a huge loss like the PS3 was. It also got better games faster. The one thing that brought down the 360in it's early years was the RROD. Microsoft handled the 360's early years better, and it paid off, but Sony is gaining fast.

Paul said:
Joelcool7 said:
RolStoppable said:

glimmer_of_hope said:

Being kind to consumers

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

spurgeonryan said:
I am not sure if they are doomed.

I hope they have a huge lineup! Don't just leave it as a few good games. We need Polemon online, Mario, wii sports 3, and some good third party games! And more as the months go by!

if Ninty can bring sme Kirby, Pokemon, Kirby, new ip, Kirby, and some classic nastalgia! then i'm in like flin.

oh did i mention Kirby? lots and lots of Kirby!

as long as they don't have a ridiculous price, and there is a ton of great (big nintendo titles) games at launch it will be fine

The problem with 3DS, was that they launched it like 8 Months earlier than they needed to.

No games that sell systems, were ready in time for the system. Nintendo launched it so early to try get a good FY. Should have been an early November launch, at $250, with Mario 3D, Mario Kart and Monster Hunter all releasing before Christmas.