By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Numbers That MS Needs To Pull To Tie The PS3 For 2011. And Why I Think It Is Now Impossible.

Will The 360 Be Able To Pull It Off?

The Kinect Will Rule The ... 220 27.92%

It Will Be Close, But The... 241 30.58%

No Way. The PS3 Will Be ... 270 34.26%

What Are You Talking Abou... 56 7.11%

Total:787

ms wins this year but wii won the war

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:

But like you said, we will have to wait and see.  Sucks the numbers for this week may not be in til next week. 

Why would this weeks numbers be delayed? High volume of sales? I don't think I'll be waiting until next week for numbers, at the very least we will get Americas numbers soon.

No point over analyzing the last week of the year. In 2 years I can say that PS3 won't have an edge that week because it will account for sales from (including) Dec 24th -Dec 30th. Dec 24th sales for 360 will balance out, but in 2 years will we care about 360 and PS3?

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:

but in 2 years will we care about 360 and PS3?

People are still banging on about the PS2 3-4 years after God Of War 2 came out. I'm sure someone was mocking Seece's prediction that 360 would outsell PS2 lifetime USA total somewhere in Sales Discussions.

I can almost guarantee, when PS3 is still getting modest numbers in 2nd/3rd world counties in 2013/14 (around the time they'll overtake 360 lifetime worldwide by my guesstimation) - people will be banging on about that too.

"Does anyone care?" I guess is the relevant question here!

Michael-5 said:
thismeintiel said:

But like you said, we will have to wait and see.  Sucks the numbers for this week may not be in til next week. 

Why would this weeks numbers be delayed? High volume of sales? I don't think I'll be waiting until next week for numbers, at the very least we will get Americas numbers soon.

No point over analyzing the last week of the year. In 2 years I can say that PS3 won't have an edge that week because it will account for sales from (including) Dec 24th -Dec 30th. Dec 24th sales for 360 will balance out, but in 2 years will we care about 360 and PS3?

Not sure.  Seece was saying in another thread to expect them next week.  Not sure why they would be delayed so much.  I would image the numbers would be similar to last week's number, only a little higher. 

In 2 years?  Probably a little.  In 3 years?  Nah.

Thanks to another great week for the 360 (and adjustments to previous weeks), the 360 dropped the gap the PS3 had over it by ~333K this week. However, the 360 needed to be ahead of the PS3 by ~562K for this week to tie it.

I am fully confident history will repeat itself and the PS3 will be ahead next week by at least ~80K, which would leave the final gap at ~310K in favor of the PS3. In the event history does not repeat itself, than the most the 360 can hope for is a statistical tie for the remaining week, leaving the gap ~230K in favor of the PS3.

I will have to hand it to MS, they were able to make it much closer than I had originally thought, so congrats to them. And congrats to the PS3 for being to hold of the 360's incredible holiday season gains.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Thanks to another great week for the 360 (and adjustments to previous weeks), the 360 dropped the gap the PS3 had over it by ~333K this week. However, the 360 needed to be ahead of the PS3 by ~562K for this week to tie it.

I am fully confident history will repeat itself and the PS3 will be ahead next week by at least ~80K, which would leave the final gap at ~310K in favor of the PS3. In the event history does not repeat itself, than the most the 360 can hope for is a statistical tie for the remaining week, leaving the gap ~230K in favor of the PS3.

I will have to hand it to MS, they were able to make it much closer than I had originally thought, so congrats to them. And congrats to the PS3 for being to hold of the 360's incredible holiday season gains.

Even then, this is much less then you and I had anticipated. How many total units does this make it for 360 annually? Did it break 15 million?

I count 360 at 13.6 million, which is the same number of sales as in 2010. this means with the numbers 360 gets next week, it should finish off around 14-14.1 million. This means a record year for 360 (whithout a permanent price cut) and well 1 million shy of it's goal. If PS3 finishes 300k higher, that puts it at 14.14.4 million, which is just a hair below their 2010 sales, but still their second strongest year, and just shy of 15 million.

I think 3DS was the best selling system of the year. It's at 14.3 million now, and just had a 1.75 million week. Wii fishinshes off aroun 12.1, which is terrible for the Wii. Ds is at around 9 million now, which is a massive drop. PSP is at around 7.3 million, but next year that number should crash with PSV already out in Japan, and coming out soon everywhere else.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Michael-5 said:
thismeintiel said:

Even then, this is much less then you and I had anticipated. How many total units does this make it for 360 annually? Did it break 15 million?

Right now the PS3 sits at just over 13.8 million units, while the 360 is just under 13.6 million.  I'm guessing the PS3 will end up a little short of 14.5 million, while the 360 will be a little over 14 million.

thismeintiel said:
Michael-5 said:
thismeintiel said:

Right now the PS3 sits at just over 13.8 million units, while the 360 is just under 13.6 million.  I'm guessing the PS3 will end up a little short of 14.5 million, while the 360 will be a little over 14 million.

See my edit. lol. Great years for 360/PS3, now I really hope sales crash so the next gen can start already. I want an upgraded Forza/GT experience, new first party IP's, and 1080p.

Michael-5 said:
thismeintiel said:

I count 360 at 13.6 million, which is the same number of sales as in 2010. this means with the numbers 360 gets next week, it should finish off around 14-14.1 million. This means a record year for 360 (whithout a permanent price cut) and well 1 million shy of it's goal. If PS3 finishes 300k higher, that puts it at 14.14.4 million, which is just a hair below their 2010 sales, but still their second strongest year, and just shy of 15 million.

I think 3DS was the best selling system of the year. It's at 14.3 million now, and just had a 1.75 million week. Wii fishinshes off aroun 12.1, which is terrible for the Wii. Ds is at around 9 million now, which is a massive drop. PSP is at around 7.3 million, but next year that number should crash with PSV already out in Japan, and coming out soon everywhere else.

Well, we were just going with home consoles, so the 3DS wouldn't count.  But still, great numbers for the 3DS.  Kinda wondering if we have it overtracked in the US, though, like it was in Nov.  Also, according to VGC, the PS3 sold 13.9 million units in 2010.  It only has to sell ~100K to match last year, which it will do more than that next year.  So the PS3 will be up YOY for the year.

last year's last week was 26~Jan 1,but this year is 25~31,there's a difference because Dec 25